Why become a member? ×

Entry Level Basses

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='72603' date='Oct 11 2007, 08:52 AM']I am toying with the idea of seelling my Yamaha RBX170 as I'm fed up with it. Any suggestions for good entry level basses to replace it with?[/quote]

Depends on your budget, but have a look at the Ibanez stuff. The SR500 is amazingly good value.

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='72603' date='Oct 11 2007, 08:52 AM']I am toying with the idea of seelling my Yamaha RBX170 as I'm fed up with it. Any suggestions for good entry level basses to replace it with?[/quote]

You should get a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass , they are awesome basses for the money

+1 on the Washburn T14, should be able to get one for about £130.

However don't expect it to last for years because the wiring is quite dodgy and build quality is not brilliant, but it does the job for the value.

I would really recommend a BB414 for the extra bit of money, or a squier VM jazz (never played one, but everyone here loves them)

Harsh as it sounds, sell the Yamaha *and* the Vintage. This leaves you with a) money to build on and :) the motivation to add to it (part time job etc) then buy something that's a step up quality wise from your previous. Moving merely sideways on the quality ladder can be quite frustrating.

really depends on your budget!

if you can save for a while - do this and buy the best bass you can and really want as it will save you money in the long run otherwise you will be losing money on an entry/mid level bass either selling or trading in to get the next level up!

but once you have a budget in mind I'm sure the good users on here will advise you appropriately.

andy

[quote name='markdavid' post='72762' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:51 PM']You should get a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass , they are awesome basses for the money[/quote]

+5

awesome... even my Bass teacher's impressed, and he has custom Fenders...

£250 new in the shops, should be able to get it for less online. I think there's one for sale in this forum...

Why are you fed up with teh RBX.......?

Unless youre going to spend a good dollop of dosh more, all you will get is another entry level bass........

Have you thought of spending some money upgrading it? I did with mine and it was pretty darn good!!!!

Body and neck is damn good for what they cost...... Upgrade the rest and you'll have a real doosey on yer hands!

[quote name='simon1964' post='72618' date='Oct 11 2007, 09:25 AM']Depends on your budget, but have a look at the Ibanez stuff. The SR500 is amazingly good value.[/quote]

+5,467,322

I play one of these and it is the BEST bass in the world for its money. Its roughly £300 and as good as any of the warwicks or fenders my dad owns, in my opinion. A lakland (im not sure which one) has the same pups and electronics as the SR500 and costs double the money. Its only so cheap because Ibanez isn't a huge name (if it was exactly the same but with a fender logo on the headstock it would cost at least £500, if not more). I would never sell my SR, its just too good in my opinion. The only down side is the very small neck if you like a chunky neck, but I prefer a slim neck anyway. BUY ONE!!!!!!!

[quote name='markdavid' post='72762' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:51 PM']You should get a Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass , they are awesome basses for the money[/quote]

I haven't played one but I've only heard good stuff about them. Seems worth the buy to me.

the vintage modified series is good!

I have mine up for sale £250 brand new with gig bag and fruther modifications - I have changed the bridge to a badass II and the tuners are Schaller!

link here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5124"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5124[/url]

Edited by andy67