Why become a member? ×

The Standards - What are they?

maxrossell

My guitar player and I are looking at sorting out a pub-rock standards set because we've been offered some fairly serious revenue from it. What do you guys think are good rock standards of the sort that your average pub audience (and crucically pub landlords) will want to hear, and that could be pulled off well with two acoustics and one vocal?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='660912' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:19 PM']... good rock standards ... with two acoustics and one vocal?[/quote]

Tough call. Based on a similar exercise I'm conducting, I'd recommend stuff that's got an 'acoustic-y feel' and can stand a smidge of re-arrangement to accomodate the absence of amps and a rhythm section. Or something that was probably originally written on acoustic.

So, example of 'No' - The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Riley. Example of 'Yes' - The Who - Behind Blue Eyes, Squeeze Box. Crunchy riffs on an acoustic sound fine in your mind's ear, but sound odd to the audience. I've tried "The Boys Are Back In Town' but it only really works as a half-speed, elegaic strum. Not 'Up' at all.

Many contemporary indie outfits sound acoustically-driven. Maybe that's a good starting point. And about contemporary stuff, I know nothing, so Adios and good luck :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='maxrossell' post='660912' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:19 PM']My guitar player and I are looking at sorting out a pub-rock standards set because we've been offered some fairly serious revenue from it. What do you guys think are good rock standards of the sort that your average pub audience (and crucically pub landlords) will want to hear, and that could be pulled off well with two acoustics and one vocal?[/quote]

wonderwall!

My acoustic duo do loads of rock stuff, its just in the way you put it over and how adaptable you are as musicians to make the songs work.
(I am fortunate to have an ace guitarist with me who can play virtually anything on his Taylor electro-acoustic though!)

Our set list includes :-

Another brick in the wall
Living on a prayer
Baby when you're gone
Sweet Home Alabama
Honky tonk Woman
Have a nice day
Losing my religion
Purple haze
Sweet child of mine

Just try and capture the feel of the song and you'll be amazed at what works in an acoustic format - and the audience will think its great for
having a go too! If you need to change anything (with us its often the key!) then make sure you keep the recognizable parts of the song
if at all possible.

Good luck!

Go to your target venues and see what works.

Search for Dad Rock on Spotify. Loads of stuff there. For humour add kazoos for horn section stuff, get the crowd to sing along to fill in bits, hand out percussion to friends in the crowd...

David Bowie did Space Oddity just him and a 12 string.
I used to do River Deep, Mountain High as a bass + Acoustic duo ..

There's loads of scope if you are adventurous.