BC Rich Eagle
Kata Fretless
Yamaha Sinsonido
Legacy Resonator
Shark 6 string
Fender Custom Jazz

Welcome dude!
That IS a hell of a lot of basses!

The guys are right, gigging in Edinburgh is pretty much A*S.
Too many lazy promoters, greedy venues and 8 band bum chains.
The best ones we've played in the last couple of years have been ones we've organised ourselves, which tend to be difficult thanks the to aforementioned greedy venues, or gigs outside of Edinburgh...

Cheers,
Eude

I've just never had many good gig experiences in Edinburgh - the band i've joined have gigged it to death, but now luckily it looks like we can start to move out of the city and gig more in the UK. You're right as well re the chains of bands that all know each other. I know bands that have never gigged, never even recorded a demo, but because their friends are in bands that are 'big' on the scene, they get support slots with artists i'd kill to play with.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='660337' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:03 PM']i think in edinburgh you have to do it yourself. I've seen a fair few good bands get stuck ata certain level and struggle to make it bigger than that.
To avoid this I think only ever play bannermans once if at all![/quote]

What about whistle binkie's? Do you burn yourself out if you play there more than once? :)
I'm trying to see what places we can offer our services to, I want to get more gigs than just parties and functions...

Bannermans can be awesome for some bands, but more often than not it's awful...
I've played there with a band I was helping out for a while to all of 4 people.
I also caught a friend's band, who make a living playing and recording in Canada play to 2 people, myself included - during the freakin' Festival!...

Whistle Binkies is an interesting one, there's usually always a fairly reasonable and attentive crowd in there but they'd much rather hear Wonder Wall or Hotel California rather than anything original, and can be quite vocal about it.
One for the "Ugly Juke Boxes"... :rolleyes:

My main problem with the whole thing in Edinburgh is that "promoters" don't seem to want to actually "promote" live music.
They're quite happy to blanket email folks via MySpace to arrange for 14 mismatched bands to play on one stage but they then let go of the reins, expect the bands to arrange the sharing of backline, if necessary amoung, themselves and even worse, most of the time, expect the bands to sell tickets in order to try and earn at least some cash out of it and threaten to take them off the bill if they're not keen to do so.
Has it always been like that?

We used to arrange a monthly Friday night at "particular venue" but we gave up as they insisted on charging us for the use of the room and an absent sound engineer, even though they would make a fortune on the bar, which meant we had to charge at the door to avoid it leaving us out of pocket.
We proved them wrong when we managed to convince them to let us have it for free for our Album Launch and the place was mobbed, partly because any passing trade could get in to check it out without being charged to get in. We where told by the duty manager that they had the best takings in that room ever on a Friday night that night and we foolishly assumed that we'd get the room for free from then on, but no, next month, right back to the same money grabbing arrangement.
So we decided to can it. :)

We tend to do wee acoustic shows these days in pubs that we know.
We play to folks who know the music, sometimes get in new folks, have great fun and always get paid, which is a rare thing in Edinburgh, plus at our next one, we'll be quickly followed by a Burlesque show...
Planning on arranging a on last decent sized (electric) "charity" gig before Chrimbo, but nothing concrete as yet.

End of Rant (sorry) :lol:
Eude

[quote name='razze06' post='660414' date='Nov 20 2009, 06:00 PM']Guilty Lily's?[/quote]

10 Points! :)
Yeah playing there on Dec the 4th.
I think it's free in, so if you're at a loose end, drop in and say hi, think we're on a bout 8:30.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='TheButler' post='660617' date='Nov 20 2009, 10:51 PM']Well, I have a gig at The Ark tomorrow night... should be one of our last in Edinburgh, which is nice :) We've got Henry's next month, but after that we're hitting the road and getting other stuff finished next year.[/quote]

Good luck at the Ark mate!
It's not a bad place to play if you get an OK crowd, just not very well run, they can't pour Guinness for toffee, but they at least have a good sound guy.
My only experiences of playing there have been in a 5 band bum chain, so we just went on first, even though we where headlining (i got out voted) so the rest of the band could go home/get drunk.

Have a good one!
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='660761' date='Nov 21 2009, 07:29 AM']10 Points! :)
Yeah playing there on Dec the 4th.
I think it's free in, so if you're at a loose end, drop in and say hi, think we're on a bout 8:30.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

My office is on the same street, I walk past the pub practically every day. I have seen they put gigs on quit regularly, good on them! Is it mostly jazzy/acoustic, or do they do rock stuff as well?
I've also got a gig that night, but let me know if and when you play there again!

[quote name='eude' post='660379' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:34 PM']Bannermans can be awesome for some bands, but more often than not it's awful...
I've played there with a band I was helping out for a while to all of 4 people.
I also caught a friend's band, who make a living playing and recording in Canada play to 2 people, myself included - during the freakin' Festival!...

Whistle Binkies is an interesting one, there's usually always a fairly reasonable and attentive crowd in there but they'd much rather hear Wonder Wall or Hotel California rather than anything original, and can be quite vocal about it.
One for the "Ugly Juke Boxes"... :lol:

My main problem with the whole thing in Edinburgh is that "promoters" don't seem to want to actually "promote" live music.
They're quite happy to blanket email folks via MySpace to arrange for 14 mismatched bands to play on one stage but they then let go of the reins, expect the bands to arrange the sharing of backline, if necessary amoung, themselves and even worse, most of the time, expect the bands to sell tickets in order to try and earn at least some cash out of it and threaten to take them off the bill if they're not keen to do so.
Has it always been like that?

We used to arrange a monthly Friday night at "particular venue" but we gave up as they insisted on charging us for the use of the room and an absent sound engineer, even though they would make a fortune on the bar, which meant we had to charge at the door to avoid it leaving us out of pocket.
We proved them wrong when we managed to convince them to let us have it for free for our Album Launch and the place was mobbed, partly because any passing trade could get in to check it out without being charged to get in. We where told by the duty manager that they had the best takings in that room ever on a Friday night that night and we foolishly assumed that we'd get the room for free from then on, but no, next month, right back to the same money grabbing arrangement.
So we decided to can it. :)

We tend to do wee acoustic shows these days in pubs that we know.
We play to folks who know the music, sometimes get in new folks, have great fun and always get paid, which is a rare thing in Edinburgh, plus at our next one, we'll be quickly followed by a Burlesque show...
Planning on arranging a on last decent sized (electric) "charity" gig before Chrimbo, but nothing concrete as yet.

End of Rant (sorry) :lol:
Eude[/quote]

i think i have seen a lot of bands get stuck at banamans level. they then get so stuck on promoting the little gigs there and stuff they don't work out how to get out of that loop onto something better.
same again with whistlebinkies

my old band honed what we were doing at the wee red and then went on to cab vol/king tuts type venues.
cab vol is a great place to play. :rolleyes:

[quote name='razze06' post='660783' date='Nov 21 2009, 08:50 AM']My office is on the same street, I walk past the pub practically every day. I have seen they put gigs on quit regularly, good on them! Is it mostly jazzy/acoustic, or do they do rock stuff as well?
I've also got a gig that night, but let me know if and when you play there again![/quote]

We'll be doing an acousticy set to be honest.
Once played there with a full drum kit but it was a squeeze, so it's vocals, acoustic git, bass and cajon.
We'll be doing one more gig in Dec hopefully so I'll let you know matey, but we'll be doing more gigs in Guilty Lilly for sure, it's top wee place.

Have a good gig yourself too! :)
Eude

[quote name='ped' post='660868' date='Nov 21 2009, 11:13 AM']Welcome to BC - I am interested in the Vigier Modular (is it a black one I saw for sale recently? Do you have any extra modules for it?)

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Hi - the Vigier Modular is a cream coloured one.

I have the Jazz module - it plays beautifully - I'll take some pics and put them up!

Best wishes,

George