Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Micro Stack

noelk27

Does anyone have any experience of this Micro-VR head and SVT-210AV cabinet set up? Basically it's just a compact solid state head and 2x10 speaker combination. What appeals to me is it's compact nature and, comparative, light weight (my current SWR combo is 80 lbs, not including the extension cabinet which is another 80 lbs). Experiences and thoughts appreciated.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='658850' date='Nov 19 2009, 06:38 AM']Does anyone have any experience of this Micro-VR head and SVT-210AV cabinet set up? Basically it's just a compact solid state head and 2x10 speaker combination. What appeals to me is it's compact nature and, comparative, light weight (my current SWR combo is 80 lbs, not including the extension cabinet which is another 80 lbs). Experiences and thoughts appreciated.[/quote]

The latest edition (Winter Special 2009) of the UKs 'Guitar and Bass Magazine' voted it the Winner in the best bass amp of the year category.

Expanding on my original post. Currently I'm using an SWR Redhead 2x10 combo (the original 240 watt version), which in the past has been partnered with a Triad (1x15, 1x10) extension cabinet. Both units weight 80 lbs. When I've gigged, it's unusual for me to turn up with a single bass; usually it would be three - an Aria SB900, a G&L L2000 and a G&L El Toro (these days I'd probably add a Yamaha BB1200 to that list). But as I'm not gigging these days, and most of my time is spent recording at home (for which I use a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Pro) or in the studio (where, if I want to move some air, I use the Redhead), I think my current set up is overkill. What I'm considering is moving on my SWR set up and replacing it with something more compact, much lighter, and less complicated. There's also the issue of expense, as I don't want such high-value equipment these days.

I'd really appreciate thoughts on the topic, and on possible alternatives to what I'm currently using. Budget-wise, I'd say I want to tie no more than £500 up in any amp set up.

I nearly bought one of these some time ago, they look and sound great, especially at mid to low volume IMO. The sound is quite Ampeg-y, perhaps unsurprisingly.
I agree that they are overpriced for what they are, but I heard rumours that they were due to come down in price somewhat.
While I was waiting for the price drop, the TecAmp bonanza happened...

[quote name='chris_b' post='659150' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:58 PM']If you want light, compact, tone and volume at the best price? A Littlemark LM 2 and a Barefaced Compact will blow any gimmicky Ampeg out of the water![/quote]

Markbass equipment has always sounded a bit "Fi" to my ear. The set up you suggest is more compact, but my intention is to downsize, in terms of size/weight as well as budget.