Why become a member? ×

Fender CIJ Jazz and CIJ Precision

Chopthebass

I'm having a feeler moment, so I have decided yet again that I need to stick with 5 strings so rather than having these two beauties doing nothing in their cases I need to raise money for another 5-stringer. So I'm trying to decide whether to bring one or both of these back to the UK in the new year when I come visit, and sell them.

They are both CIJ models purchased about two years ago from Malcom at Bass Emporium. The Jazz is the JB-75US with the US pickups, and the P is the 1962 Re-issue Precision Bass
PB62-60. Both have hard cases and are completely unmarked and mint throughout.
Any thought on what they might be worth will be appreciated. I need to decide if its worth bringing them across the pond.
Cheers

They both look great. I've been playing MIJ / CIJ for 20yrs and I reckon you'd get £400 each as a fair price. Although the prices have since been hiked up since you bought them the second hand prices don't seem to have massively raised by comparison. I'm not in the market for them myself but they make a fine set

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='659084' date='Nov 19 2009, 11:58 AM']They both look great. I've been playing MIJ / CIJ for 20yrs and I reckon you'd get £400 each as a fair price. Although the prices have since been hiked up since you bought them the second hand prices don't seem to have massively raised by comparison. I'm not in the market for them myself but they make a fine set[/quote]

+1, although in my experience the Jazzes tend to go slightly higher than the Precisions (especially Jazzes with block inlays for some reason), so possibly £400-500 for the Jazz and £300-400 for the Precision.

Chris

[quote name='fatback' post='659965' date='Nov 20 2009, 11:03 AM']Forgive the shameful ignorance, but what does the 'c' in 'CIJ' stand for?

Conceived? Constructed? Condoned? Created? Cyril?

fatback[/quote]

The C stands for crafted. Sounds sooo much nicer than made in Japan!

I have a CIJ Jazz as well, very nice...

[quote name='cocco' post='660049' date='Nov 20 2009, 12:25 PM']I also have A CIJ 66 jazz in CAR with the matching headstock and a lovely "dots n bound" neck. Its curently suffering with a little bit of fret buzz on the low E but other than that she is a beauty :)[/quote]

A bit off topic and i apologise, but yours is the best avatar ive ever seen!!! just brilliant, beautiful basses by the way, especially the jazz - lee

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='659118' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:34 PM']Very nice basses, mate. The CIJ's really are lovely quality. Only thing I don't like is the earthing on my 75. I think it's the pickups. Hum a plenty![/quote]

Funnily enough, my 75 RI hummed, too. Got it earthed properly and it was good as gold after that. You'd have thought Fender could have got the earthing problems sorted by the time they knocked these re-issues out, though :)

Oh, and those are a right pair of beauties in the first pic. Gorgeous.