Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB 6 string (Japan) - Flame maple Top

ryancowell25

Yamaha TRB 6 string (Japan)

Serial number is :5011047

Pictures of it are at the link below -

[url="http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/ryancowell25/"]http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/ryancowell25/[/url]

[color="#000000"][size=5]New pictures can be found here (24/11/09)[/size][/color]

[url="http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/ryancowell25/New%20Yamaha%20TRB%20Japan%20Pics/"]http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/r...20Japan%20Pics/[/url]

This has been sitting around for a while doing nothing and I think it might be time to move it on.

I've personally had problems identifying its age but a fellow bass chatter informed me it's a TRB prototype and therefore a bit unusual.

It does have a bolt on neck but a body like the TRB thru neck. There is no Yamaha logo on the headstock but Yamaha is printed on the Tuners along with Japan.

Made in Japan is also etched into the back of the headstock along with the serial number

The only thing that seems to be not original is the volume control.

Active, two trust rods. As you can see from the new pics it does have Bartolini electronics.

This was bought used from the Bass Centre a few years back in July 2005 (from their shop near Liverpool Street post Wapping where they used to have the monopoly on bored and stroppy salesmen, those were the days!) and has been used for one gig since. The rest of the time i've had it at home for recording. Apparently the guy that had it before me used it once week a week for midweek Jazz sessions, and the condition of the instrument would suggest very light use . I've included pictures of the receipt. As you can see compared to what I payed for it used (this was also a discounted sale) I think the asking price is reasonable.

The quality and set up are excellent (in hoyse Bass Centre) and there are no issues with it.

I'm really interested in trades, ideally a 4 or 5 string as. I do gravitate towards Warwicks but quite literally anything considered at the moment as it seems a waste that this bass is sitting doing nothing. Money offers also welcome. Would also be willing to add money myself for a trade for the right bass.

Now looking for around the £650 mark

I'm in the Herts, Essex area if anyone wants to come over and have a try.

Feel free to PM with any queries, offers etc. etc.

Ta

Ryan

Edited by ryancowell25

[quote name='BassAgent' post='661803' date='Nov 22 2009, 02:31 PM']That's definitely genuine bút it has been refinished. Yamaha never made TRB6s in that colour, IIRC.[/quote]
Flawless job too in that case! :)

Edited by Kongo

The yamaha trb`s really are worth a look !!! great basses but seemingly unsexy for many ............. don`t know why that should be!Thats a lot of bass you`re getting for your pound note!

good luck with your sale.

Also worth adding it's the model without the bottom horn scoop!
Why they think this makes slapping on it better is beyond me, makes the distance too great bewteen body and string on the high strings for popping for me...So you float and under shoot / over shoot...Jus a personal quibble with bottom horn scoops lol!

But as said, this one doesn't have one... :)

I dunno... I would want to check this one out carefully. It just doesn't look like a TRB to me. The jack is wrong (TRBs are recessed at a strange angle). The truss rod slots appear to be cut in the neck where all TRBs I have seen have them cut in the body. The body looks a bit... well... home made to me too.

I definitely don't want to be "that guy" but I smell a rat. I would want some guarantee of providence if it was me. I've owned quite a few TRBs and this just doesn't sit right with me. Sorry.....

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='663326' date='Nov 24 2009, 12:26 AM']I dunno... I would want to check this one out carefully. It just doesn't look like a TRB to me. The jack is wrong (TRBs are recessed at a strange angle). The truss rod slots appear to be cut in the neck where all TRBs I have seen have them cut in the body. The body looks a bit... well... home made to me too.

I definitely don't want to be "that guy" but I smell a rat. I would want some guarantee of providence if it was me. I've owned quite a few TRBs and this just doesn't sit right with me. Sorry.....[/quote]

+1 :)

Will post some clearer pictures this evening for those who believe this is a fake (thanks guys)

Was originally bought used from a reputable bass dealer in London (Bass Centre)

I have a copy of the receipt which I can also post if that clarifies things.

Have also made it quite clear that anyone who is interested is welcome to come and try the bass to verify its quality. To reiterate I'm in the Herts/Essex area.

Thanks

[quote name='ryancowell25' post='663421' date='Nov 24 2009, 07:44 AM']Will post some clearer pictures this evening for those who believe this is a fake (thanks guys)

Was originally bought used from a reputable bass dealer in London (Bass Centre)

I have a copy of the receipt which I can also post if that clarifies things.

Have also made it quite clear that anyone who is interested is welcome to come and try the bass to verify its quality. To reiterate I'm in the Herts/Essex area.

Thanks[/quote]

Just to reiterate... I didn't say this is a fake. I don't think anybody else did either. I can safely say it is definitely not a production TRB though. The hardware, battery covers, neck fixing etc. all look correct but I've never seen a neck quite like that or pickups of that type in a TRB. The body actually looks like a TRB1006 but with the battery cover etc. from the more expensive Japanese model. All in all it's very strange - doesn't make it a bad bass though.

[quote name='Johngh' post='663424' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:03 AM']Please, if anyone has any gripes about this bass, please take it up via PM with the seller.

Thanks[/quote]

Seriously? At the risk of getting thrown off... it's one thing bitching about the price but another if you know the make and it looks (shall we say) unusual. It deserves a comment to assist potential buyers who may not be so familiar. I would hope that would be the case if I was buying anyway!

:) hmmmm, i'm sorry too but THIS IS really a Yam.TRB6!!! but never seen like this one!
If you allow me to tell you that it is a part of the 2nd serie made in Japan between the first
TRB-P and the last TRB II,so it looks very near of a J.Patitucci model,and effectivly whithout
the bottom horn scooped but with a thin dark binding on the body,
the location of the 2 plastic cover comfirm it,and especialy the 2 truss-rod on the neck part
which is typical of this particular serie,
(the -P model was neckthru and the -II model was once again different)
and about the jack:it's the best to have like Patitucci understood it and asked
to the R&D men to put on the 2nd J.P. model.
Finaly from my opinion it's look really as a prototype one!
and:.................wooooooooaaaaaaaaaaah, i love it!!!! :wub: Edited by slapierro

[quote name='slapierro' post='664562' date='Nov 25 2009, 12:01 AM']:) hmmmm, i'm sorry too but THIS IS really a Yam.TRB6!!! but never seen like this one!
If you allow me to tell you that it is a part of the 2nd serie made in Japan between the first
TRB-P and the last TRB II,so it looks very near of a J.Patitucci model,and effectivly whithout
the bottom horn scooped but with a thin dark binding on the body,
the location of the 2 plastic cover comfirm it,and especialy the 2 truss-rod on the neck part
which is typical of this particular serie,
(the -P model was neckthru and the -II model was once again different)
and about the jack:it's the best to have like Patitucci understood it and asked
to the R&D men to put on the 2nd J.P. model.
Finaly from my opinion it's look really as a prototype one!
and:.................wooooooooaaaaaaaaaaah, i love it!!!! :wub:[/quote]

Now you mention it... this does look a lot like a TRB-JP...

....with presumably a custom body. Which could make the thing very interesting and unusual.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='663429' date='Nov 24 2009, 08:19 AM']Seriously? At the risk of getting thrown off... it's one thing bitching about the price but another if you know the make and it looks (shall we say) unusual. It deserves a comment to assist potential buyers who may not be so familiar. I would hope that would be the case if I was buying anyway![/quote]

+ 1,000. I've definite feelings about what is appropriate for the thread and what should be pm'd and this is very much okay imo.

It looks a great bass for little money and the history is coming out because folk are asking reasonable questions.