Why become a member? ×

Can some one explain the whole Musicman, Stingray, Sterling thing

dave_bass5

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='716757' date='Jan 18 2010, 04:47 PM']It was a pleasure meeting with you Dave, the bass has a wonderful tone as I said the neck was just too wide for me, I will get a Sterling one day but for now I'll stick to my Jazzes and the one I traded with you I have fallen in love with.

Happy trade all round then :)[/quote]

Indeed it was a pleasure both ways. And yes, a good trade for both of us.

I actually like the neck, even though i prefer a Jazz neck. It felt very easy to play last night.
I had thought of a Sterling as well.

I hope for now all my GAS has been expelled.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='716922' date='Jan 18 2010, 06:59 PM']Just to clarify Dave, the 2eq MM preamp is boost only. The 3eq is cut/boost. That's why the 2eq models always seem more powerful. I prefer to the 2eq's, to be honest. Much more rounded and richer sound.

Rich.[/quote]

Sorry to disagree but John East did a careful analysis of the 2-band when he was designing his equivalent unit. His finding were posted on the original Dudepit Forum.

The bass is boost only however because of the way that the circuit is designed it gives the effect of slight cut/boost.

The treble is genuine cut/boost.

If you don't believe me then ask John.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='717038' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:01 PM']Ok, thanks guys.
So, we are talking about SR's here aren't we. Does the Sub use the same electrics or could it be a cheaper version?[/quote]

SR4 2-band pre-amp is pretty basic and a very old design so I would imagine its the same. Best way to find out is ask at the EBMM Forum.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='656942' date='Nov 17 2009, 02:12 PM']Im not really one for overly bright tones but i do like a bit of bite and growl.[/quote]

well, in my opinion, the stingray is one of the brightest basses, that still sound good being bright.
maybe there might be some basses with just one pickup directly near the bridge, that sound way brighter, but that would sound thin.

the stingray has a very modern tone to it (if modern is the oposite of the rather dull vintage sound). it has lots of high end, but still doesn't lose the bottom.
i started playing stingrays 2 month ago, and it's the only bass for me now !

but if you don't like too bright, then you either would have to roll the treble off all the time, or just go with another bass.

i'd recommend you to check out the warwick streamer stage II. it is growly as hell, has lots of bottom end (which the other growly warwick - the thumb - doesn't have). but it is quite expensive as well. you might want to buy it second hand.
you could also check some ibanez basses, with mahogany body. for example the SR500.

if you still want to get some stingray-like stuff, you could check the musicman knock-off by "fame".
they cost about the same as an ATK, but look very similar to musicman basses, and are said to have a little less highs than musicman.
[url="http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/de_DE/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start?SKU=BAS0000802-000&ProductUUID=0&CatalogCategoryID=&JumpTo=OfferList"]fame MM500[/url]

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='744738' date='Feb 14 2010, 01:14 PM']Thanks green.
Since i started this thread ive now gone back to a plain old P bass as my main bass but i have been playing my Sub quite a bit and although ive only gigged it once so far i can see that a SR4 will be on the cards at some point, maybe this year.[/quote]

Dave, a SR4 this year? So you are not planning on trying my Warwick this year then :) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='744781' date='Feb 14 2010, 01:46 PM']Dave, a SR4 this year? So you are not planning on trying my Warwick this year then :) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

LOL, yes, im looking forward to trying it but for now my "traditional" tone GAS is cured.

As per our PM's ive now found the tone ive been looking for over the past few week. I really dont need a Jazz type bass now.

Now all thats sorted (for now i hope) i want to get the Sub broken in. The one gig i did with it wasn't enough to convince me either way but i do like the feel of it and i can see a use for it.
I would just stick with the Sub but i think i would prefer a 3 band EQ, i think having treble cut will be a good thing.
I also find the G string to be a bit quiet. Ive adjusted the pup but its not made a huge difference. Its got Warwick strings on it at the moment but im going to order a set of XLs and see how they sound on it. They transformed my DD so im hoping for good things.

Getting the SR4 is only an idea and ill have to see how the Sub works out first.

you could also check out the [url="http://www.bassline-bass.de/bassline_baesse-buster.html"]bassline buster[/url].

or you may want to check out a bass, that is a mixture of the stingray and the precision, if you like both.
like the sandberg california PM. in case you want the humbucker and the single coil, then the sandberg california JM is for you.

or the clover apeiron. i had one of those, and it was really nice.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='656806' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:24 AM']After spending a small fortune on my DJ5 recently im just not liking it. I think its down to the wood but its got a very deep tone that i really cant get in to.
I expect ill sell it and take a huge loss but i think its for the best.

The Musicman type of bass is the one area ive never looked at and it seems very confusing. I know i do like the tone and i played a 5 string recently that felt really nice but i have no idea what it was.

So im really just looking for some ideas on whats what in this type of bass. what's a good one to go for, anything to be avoided etc.

I guess price wise im looking at what ever i can get for the Lakland or failing that around £500 if i decide to keep it.

Not bothered if its 4 or 5 string at the moment. How do the necks compare to, say a Fender P or Jazz?

Cheers for any info.[/quote]
hi i have got a dj 4 in pearl white with maple fret board, i put a john east dj eq in it the difference is outstanding one of the best basses i have

• 3 weeks later...

As its a quite monday morning i thought i would revive this old thread with a quick update.

After the one gig with the Sub i hadnt really touched it again until last week. I was thinking of trading or selling it so thought i would get it out and give it a quick play before placing an add.
Well, a week later and some new strings i ended up taking it to both gigs at the weekend. I even left the DD at home.

Im really enjoying it now and i can see that it works well for all our songs (all covers). Its a nice solid tone, not bright at all, even with new strings on, but part of that i guess was down to keeping the treble fairly low, and not digging in too much.
Ive set it up as best i can but i find i cant get the action quite as low as my DD but its good enough. Im quite pleased with the feel of the neck, my main worry was always it would be too wide or un comfortable but its nice and playable.

I am impressed with the MM tone, and surprised that it can sound warm and round as well as the typical Ray tone, even with a pick (even though some of you had told me this).
Ive still got to hear it from out front though, but the two gigs i recorded show its not thin and weedy or overly bright.
I do have a weak G string that needs to be sorted before i can go any further though.
I managed to lower the A and D pole pieces (with a hammer :-) last night so ill see if that makes a big difference this coming sat.

Im hoping to use it for a few more gigs and then maybe, get a real SR4 or Sterling (or Sterling by MM) if i find i dont really need the DD. I dont want to spend any, or much, money on basses this year so ill have to sort something out but for now the DD will still be my main bass as its a bit easier to play and its such a nice bass it wouldnt be right leaving it at home.

Cheers all.

Edited by dave_bass5