Why become a member? ×

Can some one explain the whole Musicman, Stingray, Sterling thing

dave_bass5

[quote name='Linus27' post='692900' date='Dec 24 2009, 12:30 PM'][b][size=4]LOOK INTO MY EYES, DON'T LOOK AWAY, LOOK INTO MY EYES ... YOU ARE NOW FAST ASLEEP[/size][/b]

[color="#FF0000"][size=7]BUY AN SR4[/size][/color]

[b][size=4]WHEN I CLICK MY FINGERS, YOU WILL WAKE UP, FULLY REFRESHED, LONGING TO ONLY BUY AN SR4, ONLY DRINK IRISH WHISKEY AND AN UNHEALTHY FACINATION TO GIRLS ALOUD.[/size]

[size=6]CLICK[/size][/b][/quote]

Classic post.

Get a SR4....if you get a white one I will be jealous for years. I must admit, the natural is a good look for Rays....check them out as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='692952' date='Dec 24 2009, 01:59 PM']Classic post.

Get a SR4....if you get a white one I will be jealous for years. I must admit, the natural is a good look for Rays....check them out as well.[/quote]

HEHEHE thanks. I think its worked, I can hear a drunken man singing Girls Aloud from my house which is about 30 miles south of Dave's :)

I have a natural Stingray with maple neck. Beautiful combination. The other colours I love are black with maple neck and Cherryburst with rosewood neck.

This is my beauty,

[quote name='Linus27' post='692998' date='Dec 24 2009, 03:03 PM']HEHEHE thanks. I think its worked, I can hear a drunken man singing Girls Aloud from my house which is about 30 miles south of Dave's :)

I have a natural Stingray with maple neck. Beautiful combination. The other colours I love are black with maple neck and Cherryburst with rosewood neck.

This is my beauty,

[/quote]

That, to me, is THE SR4 look. Im going to try for a black one first though. That way my Girlfriend wont notice it ;-)

Hic..

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='656806' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:24 AM']After spending a small fortune on my DJ5 recently im just not liking it. I think its down to the wood but its got a very deep tone that i really cant get in to.
I expect ill sell it and take a huge loss but i think its for the best.

The Musicman type of bass is the one area ive never looked at and it seems very confusing. I know i do like the tone and i played a 5 string recently that felt really nice but i have no idea what it was.

So im really just looking for some ideas on whats what in this type of bass. what's a good one to go for, anything to be avoided etc.

I guess price wise im looking at what ever i can get for the Lakland or failing that around £500 if i decide to keep it.

Not bothered if its 4 or 5 string at the moment. How do the necks compare to, say a Fender P or Jazz?

Cheers for any info.[/quote]

my only foray into musicman land was a SR5 with 3 band eq
perfect bass for me..but the 5th string wasnt my scene
my wish for a 4 is the standard one pup ray with 3 band
rosewood and warmth are my playing style
colours dont come in to it nor scratchplate co ordination
white on white would be perfect all round

there must be some lemons out there so i cant say its the worlds perfect bass...but suited me fine

Ive got my eye on a SR4, 3 band EQ, Black with maple neck.

So far the only things im sure of are it has to be a 4 string and have 3 Band EQ. Not overly fussed about the colour but im not really in to bursts or bright colours. White is also good but ive not seen any come up second hand recently.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='693387' date='Dec 25 2009, 03:09 PM']Ive got my eye on a SR4, 3 band EQ, Black with maple neck.

So far the only things im sure of are it has to be a 4 string and have 3 Band EQ. Not overly fussed about the colour but im not really in to bursts or bright colours. White is also good but ive not seen any come up second hand recently.[/quote]

The black on Rays looks great in the flesh. All Rays have a really thick polish finish which, IMO, is one of the nicest out there.

Aren't we sad not taking a day off bass for Xmas haha!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='693395' date='Dec 25 2009, 03:22 PM']Aren't we sad not taking a day off bass for Xmas haha![/quote]

Thats what i thought as well lol. Glad i have my itouch as i dont think it will go down too well if i was to sit at the PC all afternoon.
My family keep mocking me about how many times ive been to the toilet today ;-)

hi dave,
i was just looking for power supplies, when i came accross this, you may have seen already..
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/5539-musicman_stingray_bass_3eq_maple_red_used_great_condition_hardcase"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/55...dition_hardcase[/url]
hope you're having a good one !

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='693608' date='Dec 26 2009, 10:48 AM']hi dave,
i was just looking for power supplies, when i came accross this, you may have seen already..
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/5539-musicman_stingray_bass_3eq_maple_red_used_great_condition_hardcase"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/55...dition_hardcase[/url]
hope you're having a good one ![/quote]

That looks stunning, especially with the black pickguard. Quite like it myself :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='693608' date='Dec 26 2009, 10:48 AM']hi dave,
hope you're having a good one ![/quote]

Thanks.

Yes, i had seen it but the price is a bit high for me at the moment. Lovely looking bass though.

Yesterday went without any arguments so i guess it was a success. Hopes yours was good.

If the trade im inquiring about doesn't pan out and the member thats already PM'ed me for first refusal doesnt want it ill be putting the DJ5 up for sale as soon as possible.

[quote name='SteveK' post='693848' date='Dec 26 2009, 05:39 PM']Ordered a SR 5: Candy red (matching head), Rosewood board, black scratchplate, HH, 3 eq, piezo, a couple of months ago. Haven't seen that configuration in the flesh, but hoping it looks a sexy as in my head. Hopefully take delivery in a couple of weeks :)[/quote]

Damn that sounds good. Bet it wasnt cheap though :-)

How come the long wait?. I would have had a meltdown if i had to wait that long lol.

As it is im about to burst if i dont get one soon. Too much time to think about these things over the past few days.

Very tempted to just order the white SR4 i posted earlier using the plastic and then sell my DJ5.

Edited by dave_bass5

hi dave,
there is usually a waiting time of up to 4 months for a new mm to get shipped over ! order one now and save up for the balance, thats what i did. nearly had a meltdown myself, but worth the wait. this is why the used route is a good option - should also save you the £££'s lost in the recent exchange rate hike too..

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='694307' date='Dec 27 2009, 03:12 PM']hi dave,
there is usually a waiting time of up to 4 months for a new mm to get shipped over ! order one now and save up for the balance, thats what i did. nearly had a meltdown myself, but worth the wait. this is why the used route is a good option - should also save you the £££'s lost in the recent exchange rate hike too..[/quote]

thanks for the reply.

Im soooooo close to ordering one form Soundslive. If i get it before next week it will be slightly cheaper due to the VAT rise in Jan, and i can return it within 7 days if i dont get on with it.

I think second hand is fine but brand new gives me the option of getting exactly what i want. Now ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='694335' date='Dec 27 2009, 03:57 PM']thanks for the reply.

Im soooooo close to ordering one form Soundslive. If i get it before next week it will be slightly cheaper due to the VAT rise in Jan, and i can return it within 7 days if i dont get on with it.

I think second hand is fine but brand new gives me the option of getting exactly what i want. Now ;-)[/quote]

That 7 day test is a good idea.

If you dont like it...youve lost the price of sending it back....which isnt a lot.

[quote]Damn that sounds good. Bet it wasnt cheap though :-)[/quote]

£1,800

I must admit to having been slightly apprehensive. It's the first bass since about 1979 that I've actually paid for. In those days you got to try the actual instrument that you were interested in. Nowadays, it seems there are fewer shops, with less stock, but more component choices available. Shopping online is the only real option. Anyway, fingers crossed!

[quote name='SteveK' post='694353' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:28 PM']£1,800

I must admit to having been slightly apprehensive. It's the first bass since about 1979 that I've actually paid for. In those days you got to try the actual instrument that you were interested in. Nowadays, it seems there are fewer shops, with less stock, but more component choices available. Shopping online is the only real option. Anyway, fingers crossed![/quote]

Agreed and good luck with it. Im sure its going to be fantastic.

I think im pretty well set on calling Soundslive tomorrow (or when ever they are next open). If i can get it before NYE that would be the icing on the cake. All models are showing as in stock.

The trade i have been interested in is all well and good but we are a long distance apart and it could take a while for things to happen (if indeed anything comes of it) and god, im getting fidgety now.

If it wasnt for the fact that i spent £1500 on the DJ5 i wouldn't feel as apprehensive as i do about getting in to even more debt. Im sure i can get a good price for the DJ5 though.

So now its down to colour and fretboard. The black/maple would be ideal, white/RW also ideal and the natural one looks fantastic although to be honest maybe third on the list.

[quote name='SteveK' post='694353' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:28 PM']I must admit to having been slightly apprehensive. It's the first bass since about 1979 that I've actually paid for. In those days you got to try the actual instrument that you were interested in. Nowadays, it seems there are fewer shops, with less stock, but more component choices available. Shopping online is the only real option. Anyway, fingers crossed![/quote]

Actually, shopping online is the problem!

(I've not - yet - bought a bass I hadn't tried out first.)

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='694402' date='Dec 27 2009, 05:25 PM']Actually, shopping online is the problem!

(I've not - yet - bought a bass I hadn't tried out first.)[/quote]

Ive got my last 5 basses on line and other than a Fender MIM 50s classic all have been fine. The Fender i just didnt get on with. The neck was way to big for me.

[quote name='SteveK' post='694353' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:28 PM']£1,800

I must admit to having been slightly apprehensive. It's the first bass since about 1979 that I've actually paid for. In those days you got to try the actual instrument that you were interested in. Nowadays, it seems there are fewer shops, with less stock, but more component choices available. Shopping online is the only real option. Anyway, fingers crossed![/quote]
i paid similar for my sterling piezo. don't worry, should be everything you ever wanted ! be aware that you may experience a fretbuzz after 2 weeks or so, particularly if you leave it out of case for extended periods of time. a quick truss-rod adjustment may be required. make sure that if you ordered it from a shop (which i did) that they have a trusted repair guy. as you don't want to void any warranty. testament to the mm quality, one tiny allen key movement and everything was 100% ok again, but it had me worried for a sec ! if you're confident with truss rods , then no problem.
you can't always try the model you want, as shops can't afford to stock everything. an ironic result of internet shopping, sadly the way of the world..

Edited by phil.i.stein

Dave, you must be bonkers to want a white Stingray. I think they look yuck. Still, personal choice and all that :rolleyes: . Anyway, not sure if this intersts you as they have one in stock. As your getting a bit desperate, just better point out, it has matching white headstock in case you miss that :)

[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitars/pid16934/cid560/MusicManStingray4StringBassinWhitewithMatchingHeadstock.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/BassGuitars/pid...ngHeadstock.asp[/url]

Kingfisher Music in Fleet, Hampshire also have a a natural with maple neck in stock for £1,249. More expensive than Andertons but maybe natural is more expensive. Do none of the music shops in London have any in stock?