Why become a member? ×

What do you think to 'hot-rodded' basses?

angelboy

I've been looking for a US Jazz for a while and I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe I just want to make one up my self.

I could buy original Fender parts or made under licence parts or I could just go to one of the body and neck makers (Allparts, Mighty Mite or our very own Simms) and get something.

I have to admit, this is not the cheapest way to get a bass and I'm pretty sure that it'd have to be a keeper as getting a good re-sale value would be out of the window.

I am planning on upping the spec to Alembic PUPS and a J-Retro Preamp.

What's your thoughts on this?

If you can afford it and want the hassle (?) of assesmbling it.... you effcetivley get a custom made bass to your spec....

How much would that cost from a custom builder? Dont think of it as a 'bitsa' and think of it as a custom made one off for you!

Suddenly makes LOADSA sense doesnt it......

I have done an 'ultimate Strat' for my guitarist..... Its good too!

Go for it. It's a lot of fun. I've made five so far (all guitars). If you want to get adventurous, get an unfinished body and do the painting yourself. It takes time, and makes a lot of mess, but it makes it more fun and more [b]your [/b]guitar. I did that on two of them, and I like them the most.

There are downsides, though. Resale value is low, so you will either have to part out the guitar on Ebay or watch it sell for 10% of what you paid for it*. It will also most likely not play well unless you take it in for a good setup, as simply bolting a neck on to a body does not a magical guitar make, so factor the cost of this into your budget. You could do the setup yourself, but you may want to get it done by a pro so it really is good. You can also hit compatibility problems too, even if you, say, only get Fender parts. The hardest thing I found was to look beyond the sentimental and try and look at the project objectively. No, it is not as good as a Custom Shop model. You will forgive your project for any minor flaws, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing ever made!

*Although there is no way I would ever sell any of mine. No way. They are like children to me.

As everyone else has said, go for it.
However, you need to see it as a long-term evolution from a certain starting point.
[i]"Once you start down the upgrade path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."[/i]

I can't see any of us building a first bass from parts and being able to resist tinkering with it to make it better!

It's hard enough to resist modding a good MIA!
I did, and bought a Squier 70's VM Jazz to mess with instead, adding a BadAss II, DR FatBeams and nicer control knobs. With good results, too.

For a first go, either get a bass with a good body and neck and start by changing the hardware and electronics.
Failing that, try buying a [i]finished[/i] body and neck from the suppliers you named, (add Warmoth to that list, too.) then sort out some pick-ups and so on.

There's certainly no need to buy Fender or licensed parts. Some of the aftermarket replacements are just as good. Or better.

I made a lovely fretless precision using a '62 style sunburst body and a neck with ebony fingerboard from brandoni, plus a bunch of fender parts. The Brandoni parts seem to be less expensive than others I have seen and are on a par with MIJ fender. A lot of the hardware they sell seems to be generic Korean cheap stuff so it may be better to source Bridge/tuners etc elsewhere (as I did).

One benefit I had of making a fretless of course was that I didn't have to worry about stoning and crowning any frets.

[quote name='angelboy' post='72765' date='Oct 11 2007, 12:54 PM']Thanks for the advice.

I am sort of thinking a little too grand now and I think I might be edging into the territory of a custom bass.

Hmmmmmmm.................[/quote]

Sorry but can't resist a chip in here!

Possibly...don't forget Modulus can offer a superb J or P-type neck for a DIY bass! Probably one of the best finished quality repalcement necks on the planet.

Ian

S.M.A.R.T Distribution

www.smart-distribution.co.uk

[quote name='SMART' post='72774' date='Oct 11 2007, 01:07 PM']Sorry but can't resist a chip in here!

Possibly...don't forget Modulus can offer a superb J or P-type neck for a DIY bass! Probably one of the best finished quality repalcement necks on the planet.

Ian

S.M.A.R.T Distribution

www.smart-distribution.co.uk[/quote]

Also check out home grown stuff like status graphite (www.status-graphite.com) and their direct replacement f*nder p & j necks.

Good luck with the project.

Wil

[quote name='zero9' post='72780' date='Oct 11 2007, 01:13 PM']Also check out home grown stuff like status graphite (www.status-graphite.com) and their direct replacement f*nder p & j necks.

Good luck with the project.

Wil[/quote]

+1. I'm putting a Status Jazz neck on my current project. The build quality and feel of Status necks is amazing. I've heard great things about Modulus as well, but with Status on our doorstep...

Anyone who knows me knows that I have been on a crusade over the last couple of years to find my ultimate bass.

I have had around 50 basses in the last couple of years just trying out different stuff - active; passive; 4, 5, 6, 8 string; fretted; fretless; Aria to Yamaha and so on.

My ultimate bass is a '54 precision body shape with a mahogany body (Gibson & Stingray 30th Anniversary), Wenge Neck (Warwick) and Ebony Fretboard (various)

I love the sound of the single coil precisions so I have just ordered a gold flake body with this neck to be built by Warmoth at a total cost (including gold bridge, gold lightweight Schaller machines, gold frets and delivery) of £450

I just need to find the perfect pickup but I expect the total cost to be around £600 including import taxes unless I find a totally extortionate single coil pickup that I just can't live without.

Worth tuppence and a button if I ever sold it but I have thought very carefully about what I wanted so that i get the right thing

The most important thing is to know what you want the end result to be,hot rodded/custom basses are a minefield, you have to put a huge amount of thought into it. If iwas to be honest if i put as much thought into all my off the shelf basses i would have owned far fewer basses. The first thing to bear in mind is the cost, you can buy an aerodyne jazz for around £450, if you build you own bass you are going to want to spend nearly 20% just on the tuners (maybe hipshot etc). ,if you want good brass nut made etc. the costs add up vey quickly !

As other members have pointed out you need to at the very least be able to do a good set up yourself (intonation string spacing/ height)

You need to really think about everything and find out if someone out there is maybe making a bass that does what you want from stock , if not i say go for it!

If its any help i have just traded a warmoth SG equipped with darkstar pickups for a Musicman bongo, the bongo maybe on its way soon and it will be another 'bits er' to replace it.

Bottom line? you can put together a better bass than fender etc east very easily but if you aint got the logo on the headstock you might have to take a loss on the resale.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='75865' date='Oct 18 2007, 01:01 AM']Bottom line? you can put together a better bass than fender etc east very easily but if you aint got the logo on the headstock you might have to take a loss on the resale.[/quote]

Y'know, that's the problem I have with the idea.

I think I'd be better buying a US Jazz and upgrading a few bits. That way I can always sell it on when I need to.

Go for it!
i would probably build myself a bass if i had the time, money, resources, tools etc. etc.
The alembic electronics are pretty sweet, from what ive heard of alembic basses.
if its a fender i would recommend you buy a graphite fender replacement neck from Status Graphite. Their workmanship and consistency is first class, and it makes your bass a bit different, while you know that the neck is a good one.
An 'ultimate specced up Jazz bass' would be something quite different and funky.