Why become a member? ×

JV Precision De-fret or not De-Fret

henry norton

My custom made fretless neck's had it - one too many mosh pits and careless drops - and I'm wondering whether I should defret the original maple neck, maybe even machine off a quarter inch and replace with a nice plain ebony fretless board. Thing is it's a JV precision, valuable in some peoples eyes but I figure I've already devalued it enough by adding a Jazz pickup in the early nineties. What does Basschat think???

[quote name='henry norton' post='656182' date='Nov 16 2009, 06:08 PM']My custom made fretless neck's had it - one too many mosh pits and careless drops - and I'm wondering whether I should defret the original maple neck, maybe even machine off a quarter inch and replace with a nice plain ebony fretless board. Thing is it's a JV precision, valuable in some peoples eyes but I figure I've already devalued it enough by adding a Jazz pickup in the early nineties. What does Basschat think???[/quote]

I wouldn't do it - there are plenty replacement necks which will fit right in there without you molesting a perfectly good neck of some historical note.

[quote name='neepheid' post='656190' date='Nov 16 2009, 06:13 PM']I wouldn't do it - there are plenty replacement necks which will fit right in there without you molesting a perfectly good neck of some historical note.[/quote]

+1, plus then you have the flexibility of fretless and fretted should circumstances change

C

Don't do it.

The thing with the JV's is that their value is based upon the fact they shipped with very good QC and are very playable (aka, they've got good necks), the added J pup isn't going to affect the playability of the actual bass (just the sound) whereas if you defret the JV neck you'll be doing a lot more "damage" to it.

Buy a replacement. You'll probably lose less in the long run anyway as you can sell the JV as near original and you'll have a spare fretless neck to sell/use on another project should you decide to shift the bass.