Why become a member? ×

2 cabs, 1 amp?

Guest leebass69

Guest leebass69

I've a slight query, I'm intending to run an Ampeg 210 cab and the 610 with an Ampeg svt350, is this asking too much of the amp as it'll run at 4 ohms?

I've never done this so before I get giddy with it I'd sooner find out if it's safe! The 610's connected by neutrik, the 210's potentially but jack. Or vera.

Ok I'm not funny but I'd appeciate any knowledge..

Lee :)

A bit of a mis-match with the cabs.. IMV
what is the power of the 2x10 and 6x10....?

I assume the amp is 350w in 4 ohms and the cabs are BOTH 8,..

It should work ok..but the 2x10 gets the same power as the 6x10 and I'd expect the 6x10 to be coasting and the 2x10 to be borderline struggling, if you are running near the max... depending on how good the actual chassis' are and Ampeg never used to use that great a chassis, IME.

The things I'd look out for would be that near to max power something may well be clipping and you'll need to know whether it is the cabs or the amps.. if the 6x10 was anything like 600 watts in power assuming a low..by todays drivers standards..100 per chassis, then I don't see much point using the 2x10.. IMHO as the 6x10 will/should easy handle the amp all on its own..

350watts into 4 ohms, means two 8 ohms cabs will get around 175watts each.. ..
any respectable 2x10 should eat that sort of load... but I'd check your cab ratings..

Guest leebass69

[quote name='JTUK' post='655553' date='Nov 15 2009, 11:04 PM']A bit of a mis-match with the cabs.. IMV
what is the power of the 2x10 and 6x10....?

I assume the amp is 350w in 4 ohms and the cabs are BOTH 8,..

It should work ok..but the 2x10 gets the same power as the 6x10 and I'd expect the 6x10 to be coasting and the 2x10 to be borderline struggling, if you are running near the max... depending on how good the actual chassis' are and Ampeg never used to use that great a chassis, IME.

The things I'd look out for would be that near to max power something may well be clipping and you'll need to know whether it is the cabs or the amps.. if the 6x10 was anything like 600 watts in power assuming a low..by todays drivers standards..100 per chassis, then I don't see much point using the 2x10.. IMHO as the 6x10 will/should easy handle the amp all on its own..

350watts into 4 ohms, means two 8 ohms cabs will get around 175watts each.. ..
any respectable 2x10 should eat that sort of load... but I'd check your cab ratings..[/quote]

Thank you both for that, it makes sense to use just the 610 (it's enough!) but when I'm stood relatively close it's easier to hear the harmonics that's all, it's almost head height! The 610 is 600w, the 210 is 250 into 8 ohms and the amp is 350 into 4....it's a bit of overkill really.

Reckon you've answered my question with that, I'll stick to the 610 :):):rolleyes:

Guest leebass69

[quote name='chris_b' post='656600' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:28 AM']The Ampeg 610 is a 4 ohm box so you can't mix it with the 8 ohm 210, unless you have an amp that is good down to 2 ohms.[/quote]

Well bugger me with a fish fork, it is. That's a definate nono as to using the 210!!

Cheers chaps

[quote name='longtimefred' post='656740' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:14 AM']If your wanting to just hear a bit more at head height, just get a crate or something strong to put the cab on top of.[/quote]

Amend that to "... get a crate or something [b]REALLY REALLY F%^&*ng STRONG[/b] to put the cab on top of" as those baby's aren't light!
Would hate* to see the mess it'd make of the drumkit (& drummer!) if it took a fall off of a beer crate borrowed off the landlord

:)

* Realistically I'd [i]love[/i] to see this happen, but I'm a sadistic git.

i always use 2 cabs and always have the same wattage and same ohmage to save the struggling.

of course a crossover helps with a 15 and a 2x10 i believe. The worst thing in a world is to hear a cabinet farting away....so many people have it doing that when turned up and blame their amp/cab......its not always the way; it usually is due to the rig setup.

You can also advoid all this of course by (a bit more expensive) having 2 identical amps and having the volume on the weaker cab less than the other. I used to do this before i bought myself a crossover, and crossovers arent that expensive. You can I believe even use the ones from car amps but on this i may be wrong....I have seen somebody do this and it seemed to work to me whether it did or not is another tale.