Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

[quote name='Maxcat' post='388241' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:41 AM']Yeah I instantly became a fan. He makes it look so easy but reading his blog he has been doing it for 100 years. Not just a great sound but a great look as well. My band are talking about doing Johnny got a Boom Boom but Im no where near that sound.[/quote]

You might not want to seek out Amy LaVere then ..
To paraphrase from memory
"I was visiting a friend and he had an upright bass. I was singing in bands but I didn't really play anything at that point but I had a go and just found I could play rockabilly slap on it more or less straight away"
aaaaaaaaaargh

[quote name='OldGit' post='388382' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:55 AM']You might not want to seek out Amy LaVere then ..
To paraphrase from memory
"I was visiting a friend and he had an upright bass. I was singing in bands but I didn't really play anything at that point but I had a go and just found I could play rockabilly slap on it more or less straight away"
aaaaaaaaaargh[/quote]

I would still loooooove to seek her out so to speak. I think we had a similar conversation on this very subject OG. Why does she not love me????? :wub:

[quote name='Maxcat' post='388441' date='Jan 22 2009, 12:46 PM']I would still loooooove to seek her out so to speak. I think we had a similar conversation on this very subject OG. Why does she not love me????? :wub:[/quote]

'cos you are a lousy old slapper?

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388218' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:15 AM']Hi Maxcat, did you try sellotaping bubble wrap to the top end of the pin? Ever since I did that, my rattle has disappeared. I'm also loving the sound now I've wrapped some material round the strings between the bridge and tailpiece to mute the unwanted resonances. I am delighted with my acquisition and would definitely recommend it as an instrument in it's own right.[/quote]

I've got the same thing. But the rattle actually comes from inside the body - it's the top of the pin which is moving. Did you take the pin out, or what...?

[quote name='MarcoBoi' post='388592' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:01 PM']I've got the same thing. But the rattle actually comes from inside the body - it's the top of the pin which is moving. Did you take the pin out, or what...?[/quote]

No, it won't come all the way out because it has "ears" on the end to stop it. What I did was push all the way [i]into[/i] the body. If you then take the back panel off, the end of the pin is visible behind it, and that's where I stuck the bubble wrap. There's not much play, so stick a bit on the top, then rotate the pin to pull it round. Don't use too much though, as it won't go back down the hole.

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388632' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:36 PM']No, it won't come all the way out because it has "ears" on the end to stop it. What I did was push all the way [i]into[/i] the body. If you then take the back panel off, the end of the pin is visible behind it, and that's where I stuck the bubble wrap. There's not much play, so stick a bit on the top, then rotate the pin to pull it round. Don't use too much though, as it won't go back down the hole.[/quote]

Marvellous idea, thanks.

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388632' date='Jan 22 2009, 03:36 PM']No, it won't come all the way out because it has "ears" on the end to stop it. What I did was push all the way [i]into[/i] the body. If you then take the back panel off, the end of the pin is visible behind it, and that's where I stuck the bubble wrap. There's not much play, so stick a bit on the top, then rotate the pin to pull it round. Don't use too much though, as it won't go back down the hole.[/quote]
I did that to mine last night. Works a treat.
;)

[quote name='Andyalfa' post='388632' date='Jan 22 2009, 04:36 PM']......Don't use too much though, as it won't go back down the hole.[/quote]

Well, mine didn't want to go back down the hole but I spoke sharply to it and gave it a swift tap across the snout (they are very sensitive) and guess what?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mikeh' post='71826' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:52 PM']Has anyone tried one of the new stagg EUB's?

Im looking at getting my first EUB and the top fo my list so far is an NS WAV 4 followed by the Aria SWB LITE ONE.

But I didnt know whether the Stagg would be worth getting to try first then upgrade later? Or would that just be wasted money!!!

Are there any other EUB's available in the country for around the £700 mark?

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

I have an ARIA SWB LITE ONE BASS which I am selling to upgrade to an EMINENCE.
I have had it approx 18 months and used it on gigs every week. You can get a good jazz/r&b sound from it. Good long notes. Easy to get used to. When I was looking around for an EUB I tried a few NS Basses ( the expensive ones) and the difference to the ARIA in my opinion was nothing.(considering the price difference).

I am selling my ARIA for £500. I have re-strung it with D'ADDARIO strings and have a stand also. ( Not normally with the ARIAs)

Regards
TONYD

[quote name='TONYD' post='400158' date='Feb 4 2009, 04:52 PM']I have an ARIA SWB LITE ONE BASS which I am selling to upgrade to an EMINENCE.
I have had it approx 18 months and used it on gigs every week. You can get a good jazz/r&b sound from it. Good long notes. Easy to get used to. When I was looking around for an EUB I tried a few NS Basses ( the expensive ones) and the difference to the ARIA in my opinion was nothing.(considering the price difference).

I am selling my ARIA for £500. I have re-strung it with D'ADDARIO strings and have a stand also. ( Not normally with the ARIAs)

Regards
TONYD[/quote]

Hi Tony,
You should post that in basses for sale as well.
Cheeers
OG

• 1 month later...

[quote name='WarPig' post='435967' date='Mar 16 2009, 12:25 PM']Finally got myself one:

Ive had a noodle on it, just need to get some lessons sorted.[/quote]

and if they don't dance you can shoot the floor until they do? :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='436040' date='Mar 16 2009, 01:16 PM']h aha
Goo dluck with the arm ache :)[/quote]

cheers. Its started already, i want to get lessons in before i develope too many bad habits.

Anyone else find it hard to put the rests in? Brute force doesnt do much. Any techniques?

I think if you look further back in either this post or Stagg in Da House, there is a full explanation. To paraphrase, put one spigot in by pushing and rotating to loosen the push fit (being careful not to scratch the finish with the other spigot) Then take it out and do the same with the other spigot. They should then both just push in. Hope this helps

[quote name='WarPig' post='436047' date='Mar 16 2009, 01:22 PM']cheers. Its started already, i want to get lessons in before i develope too many bad habits.

Anyone else find it hard to put the rests in? Brute force doesnt do much. Any techniques?[/quote]

Yeah just do the rest on your side ("I don't have a rest on my side" - Bluebottle, The Goons, 1957)

Get one prong at a time and wiggle it into its hole, crushing the nylon thing down a bit. Then take it out and do the other one. Then they will both go in at the same time.
Raise the bass so that the nut is at eye level and the prong should rest just in front of your left hip.

Lessons are good though.

[quote name='OldGit' post='436440' date='Mar 16 2009, 06:46 PM']Yeah just do the rest on your side ("I don't have a rest on my side" - Bluebottle, The Goons, 1957)

Get one prong at a time and wiggle it into its hole, crushing the nylon thing down a bit. Then take it out and do the other one. Then they will both go in at the same time.
Raise the bass so that the nut is at eye level and the prong should rest just in front of your left hip.

Lessons are good though.[/quote]

cheers guys! Ive set it so half position is at eye level, but will adjust it to the nut height tomorrow.

Edited by WarPig

I have unfortunately found a slight problem with the Hercules stand solution that OG and I use for the Stagg. Truth be told it was an A.I.S.F.M (Alcohol Induced Stupid Ferkin Mistake) however I thought Id relay this cautionary tale. :D

I had a little gig last week that was just a few guys thrown together for a colleagues leaving do and as I was part of the party, I had more than a few sherbets before setting up. When I picked the Stagg up to start playing, the volume knob was bent up towards the neck. :) Seems in my pissed state I had put the stand into the Hercules collar but instead of the weight of the Stagg acting on the push fit arm as normal, it was fully supported by the volume pot. Not for long I dont think.

Any way, when I got home, I took off the volume knob to try to bend the pot shaft back and it had disintegrated inside the knob. Not good. :rolleyes: So Im now looking for a replacement shaft if I can find one or I may be forced to replace the entire pot. Im taking it into a guitar tech I use today but I cant leave it with him as Im gigging on friday. I dont suppose anyone knows if I can just get a replacement shaft and get away with it.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='436848' date='Mar 17 2009, 07:31 AM']I have unfortunately found a slight problem with the Hercules stand solution that OG and I use for the Stagg. Truth be told it was an A.I.S.F.M (Alcohol Induced Stupid Ferkin Mistake) however I thought Id relay this cautionary tale. :D

I had a little gig last week that was just a few guys thrown together for a colleagues leaving do and as I was part of the party, I had more than a few sherbets before setting up. When I picked the Stagg up to start playing, the volume knob was bent up towards the neck. :) Seems in my pissed state I had put the stand into the Hercules collar but instead of the weight of the Stagg acting on the push fit arm as normal, it was fully supported by the volume pot. Not for long I dont think.

Any way, when I got home, I took off the volume knob to try to bend the pot shaft back and it had disintegrated inside the knob. Not good. :rolleyes: So Im now looking for a replacement shaft if I can find one or I may be forced to replace the entire pot. Im taking it into a guitar tech I use today but I cant leave it with him as Im gigging on friday. I dont suppose anyone knows if I can just get a replacement shaft and get away with it.[/quote]

Oh nasty .. I hope it's a normal pot ..

[quote name='Maxcat' post='436870' date='Mar 17 2009, 08:27 AM']Me too. Ill find out today and keep you posted. Guinness, for those who should know better![/quote]

Good luck Max! If thats what Guiness does to your basses im never touching the stuff :)