Why become a member? ×

Enfield Basses

NJE

Following my quick play on a Enfield at Music Live at the weekend, I suddenly thought I have not seen one on here yet. I was just wondering if anyone had bought one or was considdering it?

I thought the bass was fantatsic and the flexibility of those pickups is phenominal (if not a little scary at first). It played beautifully and the build quality was superb. It was very Wal in appearance (maybe why I liked it so much) and I would like one although may wait for a few to trun up secondhand as 3k is a bit much for me.

So anyone else played/own one? has anyone had opportunity to play one in real life gigging situations?

I played one too at LIMS back in the summer. Loved the feel but the look is a bit bling for me. The pickup options were deeply confusing too – but then I'm not a fan of switches on guitars. It struck me too that Enfield is a bit Wal like in some respects (look at the bridge). I wonder if Martin Simms feels a bit gutted at the phoenix like rise of Wal that Paul Herman has pulled-off?

Phil

Allo!

I first tried one about a year ago and was not 100% convinced to be honest. However, I've now got one here at the moment and having had it since Sunday, it is an incredible bass, really something else. There are obvious comparisons in terms of shape etc with the Wal basses but its nothing like a Wal in terms of everything else - Martin designed it the way he did as it works ergonomically etc. The pickup is very easy to use once you memorise the LED colours/coil options and after about 10 minutes sitting down with it, going through the combinations, its actually very easy to use and the tonal variations are superb. I think he's onto a winner!

Nick

I've played various Enfield basses at last year's LMIS and Music Live and on the whole was very impressed. The pickup/electronics package is fantastic and really simple to use. Just think of it as two pickups mounted next to each other, where each one can be either a P (red), J (green) or MM (blue) and are balanced so that the outputs of each coil combination are even so you don't get a massive volume change between configurations. The only thing I wasn't that impressed with was the shape of the neck which was far to V-like in profile for my liking.