Why become a member? ×

epiphone explorer any good??

bassbarber

I own one of these, and they are nice basses for what they cost.
The problem I have is that there can be major neck dive.
However,
I think for the style of music you play it should be good; the tone can be varied through the 3-way selector and the tone control, plus it looks great!

What colour are you thinking of getting it in??

I wouldn't know - my wife doesn't have particularly strong opinions about any basses, except these. Most basses I show her and she's all like "mm, that looks nice dear". The mere joking mention of the arrival of an Explorer or a Flying V results in a joking threat of divorce. Go figure :)

I used to own an Explorer guitar. The missus used to laugh and people gave me funny looks at auditions. And very easy to bang off drum kits, singers, etc - the rear upper wing sticks out a mile.

As far as the bass version goes, never owned one so can't say - but there's someone here who uses one regularly in their ZZ Top tribute band. Only complaint seems to be dive and kit-bashing, IIRC.

My main bass for the ZZ trib is an EpiEx. I moved the strap button onto the back of the body and that cured the neck dive but if you sling it fairly high your right forearm stops that problem anyway. Depends how you like it slung.

Soundwise it's pretty basic but full and meaty , the necks quite comfortable to me.

My problem is it always seems a stretch to play around the first couple of frets - it's a pig ,to be honest ,that way - but plenty of folk don't have that issue at all.

I don't care for reverse tuners but I could do something about that if I could be arsed.

It suits the basic lines I have to play in the ZZ trib , sounds and fits the image well. I just couldn't do the Dr Blue set with it though - not physically possible for me to do more intricate stuff for an hour.

Horses for courses I reckon. Mr Entwhistle could bomb around fine on one - I can't.

This is the only pic I can find with both my hands off it , post strap button move , and no neck dive. Before I moved the button it would have hit the floor if I stood like that.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='bassbarber' post='651896' date='Nov 11 2009, 07:31 PM']hi thinking of getting a epiphone explorer, wondering if its any good? any one had any past experiances? i mainly play indie and punk.[/quote]

I use to have the Gibson Explorer bass in the early 90s - my metal days - it was really nice to play but top heavy. Looked well cool in alpine white - but i bet if i heard it now I'd hate the sound - not very bass heavy, which is number one consideration for me these days.

I've heard the Epiphone is really good so if you want that look and like a more trebly sound its probly a winner

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Creamy/White Gibbo Explorer as well, for about 15 years AND I LOVED IT!
Good basic sound, well meaty, great neck to fly about/chord on.
I didn't have trouble with neck dive, but I did wear it high, so perhaps thats why.
Sold it in one of those stupid moments and regretted it ever since.
Good luck,
Karl.