Why become a member? ×

CHARVEL SURFCASTER

Charvel surfcaster, modified with one of Fred Hammons darkstar pickups, fairly old dates from early 90's, good condition considering age, original parts included so could be returned to stock with a new pickguard. Darkstar alone cost £125

Imported from the states aat a cost of £600 so im taking a big hit on this...

now fitted with a darkstar and a Has sound orange drop varitone

if any interest i will take some better pictures

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='70851' date='Oct 7 2007, 11:09 PM']First up my recently built warnoth sg, walnut body, rosewood neck with ziricote board, DARKSTAR pickups and audare 4 band eq with Z-mode switch, more photos in the build diaries section

next my much loved charvel surfcaster

now fitted with a darkstar and a Has sound orange drop varitone

looking for offers around £500 for the SG and £350 for the charvel

if any interest i will take some better pictures

Trade now organized on the SG[/quote]

[quote name='majikal' post='71103' date='Oct 8 2007, 04:18 PM']Hi Steve,what scale lenght is the S.G.?long,medium or short?It looks the bollocks,with power to boot!!,and does it have a case? :)[/quote]

Hi it's 34" scale, the neck profile is based on a vintage jazz so quite c shaped

This bass is most likley already gone, i will let you know if not

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='BigRedX' post='71221' date='Oct 8 2007, 08:06 PM']What's the scale length on the Charvel? Also what are the strings fitted at the moment - tapewound? Is there a case for it?[/quote]

34" scale, no case, apparently charvel did commission a custom case for them but they seem to be rarer than the basses. Currently fitted with fender tape wounds but to be honest i prefered it fitted with chromes

[quote name='bassbloke' post='71326' date='Oct 8 2007, 10:45 PM']I'm distraught at what's been done to the Surfcaster. Has fitting the darkstar involved any extensive routing to the body?[/quote]

not as much as you would think as there is very little wood under the pickguard, the whole area under the G is hollow anyway, the pickups are mounted directly to the pickguard as standard .

[quote name='bassbloke' post='71545' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:25 PM']So if I were to get a new pickguard made I could easily return it to two lipsticks?

Sorry, I appreciate the Darkstar is probably vastly superior to the stock pickup, but I've always thought the original surfcaster was a thing of beauty.[/quote]

Yes but although the stock pickups are nice to look at they are not a patch on a darkstar. If you wanted to keep the look Kent Armstrong lipsticks are very good vastly superior to stock ( i had a pair in a fender jaguar)

[quote name='BassBod' post='71761' date='Oct 9 2007, 07:25 PM']I'll buy the Darkstar, if you buy the bass and decide to return it to original look (but which version DS is it?)

BB[/quote]

it's a DS 3-N, suitable for the majority of long scale basses (if you are after a pair fred sell them in RWRP sets for better hum canceling so make sure you get one to match ) .....have a look on freds site for current prices and PM me an offer, returning it to standard pickup config before selling is an option i had not considered before.

Ok, checked the string spacing on the Clifton - it's narrower than I thought, so looks like I'd have to go for a "short scale" version of the DS. How useful was the varitone circuit? I've never really heard anything like this?

Cheers for the reply, and hope you get a sale soon.

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='71877' date='Oct 9 2007, 09:49 PM']How useful was the varitone circuit? I've never really heard anything like this?

BB[/quote]

The vatitone is a great mod, in the past I have found normal passive tone controls ineffective, all they really do is cut treble which I can do just as easily do by tweaking the amp. The varitone in contrast is a six position control which I have found in conjunction with the darkstar provides a real change in tone. Position one is open and full of treble, as you go round it gets progressively more bassy and 5 gives an kind of passive overdrive when you dig in hard. One interesting way of using a varitone is apparently to wire it along with a tone control, wired this way the tone pot controls the level of 'effect' the varitone has. Mine is wired in place of a tone pot which although may cut down on the available options means I am just a defined click away from a a known change in tone.
The varitone is I think just a set of different capacitors which the knob switches between, the different caps really do change the tone centre in a way I find really useful, someone here who knows a bit more about bass electrics hopefully may be able to shed some light on how they work but i like it.

Edited by steve-norris

[quote name='steve-norris' post='76407' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:13 AM']Me own a white thunderbird? with my reputation crikey! no :) actually a friend is playing a thunderbird i his covers band through a ashdown and i really like the sound in a band mix it just sits really well.[/quote]

Hi Steve
I love a good mystery...

A few years ago, I was gassing for a white Thunderbird; I had a friend in the US trying to source me one in the New England area, so I pulled some images down from the web and e-mailed them to him for reference. I hung onto the images because I just loved how the T-Bird looked. One of the images was this one...

The T-Bird image is nearly six years old...thought it might have been you is all.

P