Why become a member? ×

Bottom end boost

bill1988

I've decided that another couple of effects in my chain are becoming essential (currently I'm only using a modified deuctone rat, one side of which now has no distortion left at all)

I'm looking for something to seriously boost my bottom end, was thinking maybe an EQ, not sure though. Also a new distortion is required, I was looking at the EHX Bass Blogger, but again I'm being an indecisive twat.

Anybody got any recommendations?

[quote name='bill1988' post='649863' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:25 PM']It's not that its missing, I just want to boost it to try and create a really subby/dancy sound.

My current setup is an American Series S-1 Precision, Hiwatt Custom 200 and an Ampeg SVT810E.[/quote]

Ah I see, OK. Agree with above, really need some 15s and dont change strings!!!!!!

[quote name='Kev' post='649877' date='Nov 9 2009, 05:38 PM']scout out a aphex bass exciter for making your low end sound bigger. Can you not boost it with your amp, or an outboard pre?[/quote]

Yeah will give that a try, bass exciter seems to be the general consensus. Not getting much more bottom out of the amp unfortunately, will need to try an outboard pre at some point as well.

[quote name='bill1988' post='649938' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:29 PM']Yeah will give that a try, bass exciter seems to be the general consensus. Not getting much more bottom out of the amp unfortunately, will need to try an outboard pre at some point as well.[/quote]

I think the earlier posters are correct - from what I recall, the Ampeg 8x10 speakers (I have no idea about the amp) do not reproduce the fundamental on the lower strings at all. Here are the specs for the 8x10E;

Frequency Response (-3 dB): 58 Hz - 5 KHz

Which means the lowest note the speaker cabinet can reproduce accurately (including the fundamental frequency) is the Bb on your A string, and even this is probably optimistic, given that manufacturer's specs should be taken with a pinch of salt. With any note lower than this you'll only be hearing overtones, not the fundamental. The ear is fooled into thinking it hears the true pitch of the bass, but it doesn't.

The upshot of this is that you are wasting your time boosting the lower frequences (<58Hz) with a preamp, as the speaker is incapable of reproducing them. You'll just be wasting power and likely bring the onset of distortion closer.

I'd say you have two options -

1) Get a speaker that can reproduce the fundamentals, but be careful what you wish for - a truly represented low E is a thunderous thing.

2) Find some other way of increasing the perception of deepness, such as boosting the low mids. Monitor the results from the audience perspective, not your own, as they will be different.

Jennifer

Can't comment on any of the FX mentioned as I've never used em (but wouldn't mind trying some).
The Moog MF-101 Does give a more subby bottom end to sounds if you don't use it as a wah/envelope filter & taking a TRS lead from the env out & into the cutoff in with the cutoff set to @ 9 o'clock can give a very good sub/double bass kinda sound.
I believe roundwound strings will help on the more sine like sound if, like me, that is what you're trying to attain.

[quote name='Rasta' post='653310' date='Nov 13 2009, 08:02 AM']Ampeg SVT 4x10 - Low as 28Hz i believe![/quote]

I wouldn't believe that. Proper PA subs don't even do that. I reckon, if you take all your pedals out of your chain and find you have a enough bottom, then an LS2 will sort you, belnd clean in with the effects, have your clean giving you the bottom, maybe a high cut in the other loop for seperation.