Why become a member? ×

***SOLD ***Vintage 1974 Fender Jazz Bass

Tradfusion

I have major GAS for a 70's Precision and have a chance of a lovely one if I sell my 74 Jazz bass, so here goes... 3 tone burst on Alder body, weight on my scales is 9.5lbs, as the photos clearly show this bass has been well played, but I am just the second owner. 4 bolt maple neck with blocks and binding. Plenty of paint wear and little dings on the body, which just add to the character of this old workhorse but nothing major really, neck is straight and true, some fretwear but still very playable for a long time yet... bridge pickup was changed ages ago when it got a bit weak, but I still have it and will include it with the sale, neck pickup is original and working 100%. The bridge is not original but is the correct replacement from Fender, and the nut is a brass one which was installed by the original owner in the 80's when that fad was all in... doesnt change the original tone to my ears to be honest, pick guard is original. Tone is typical of this era Fender Jazz, warm and growly with lovely slap tone when the neck p/u is rolled off about half way... Weight is very manageable and this is a very comfy bass to play... not really interested in trades unless its an even nicer 70's Precision than the 72 beauty I'm looking at!! Feel free to ask any questions I havent answered... non original hard case in fair condition included.... I have been checking out the prices on these and I think about £1800 seems a fair price ... bass is in Ireland but shipping to the UK or Europe isnt a problem, it seems to be about 50 quid to ship to the UK, Europe is slightly more...shipping in Ireland is free on collection!!

[attachment=35666:74_jazz.JPG] [attachment=35667:body_front.JPG] [attachment=35669:headstock__2_.JPG] [attachment=35668:serial_number.JPG]

[attachment=35670:Jazz_Body_back.JPG] [attachment=35672:brass_nut.JPG]

Edited by Tradfusion

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='644807' date='Nov 3 2009, 10:46 PM']Now who was it that was recently looking to chuck a wedge of cash at a 60's/70's bass? :)

If I was selling this bass I'd do a bit of research as I'm sure someone on here was looking for just this kind of thing! :rolleyes:[/quote]
IIRC Happy Jack was looking in this area, although he is not the biggest fan of mojo on a bass!

[quote name='Clarky' post='644812' date='Nov 3 2009, 10:48 PM']IIRC Happy Jack was looking in this area, although he is not the biggest fan of mojo on a bass![/quote]

Ah Ha! That sounds about right, but it's considerably within his remit and budget... calling 'Happy Jack'! :)

Just been having a sniff around this one - now on my radar BUT it's not all-original, it's pretty roadworn, and it's a tad heavy for me.

I've currently got a couple of 69's in my sights ... erm ... perhaps I could have phrased that a bit better ... :blush: or rather :brow: ... so I'll see how they turn out before re-visiting this one.

Edited by Happy Jack

• 3 weeks later...