Why become a member? ×

Rayman's latest gig rig.

Rayman

I've just taken delivery of a rather brilliant little bass in the form of a Fernandes APB-5. So while lemon oiling the fretboard and re-stringing it ready for tonights gig, I took a picture:

The Fernandes is on the left, and is is remarkably similar to my wonderful Kinal MK-5 on the right. The Fernandes has a superb range of tones, bright and punchy and is a dream to play. The string spacing is a bit tight but that doesn't bother me, it's just brilliant, a real find.

I knew nothing about the Fernandes, but did some research before buying it. Turns out they're very highly regarded by those in the know, and certainly aren't available any more, it's probably a late 90's bass. Nice build quality, Gotoh tuners, and the pickups are very Jazz like, but as I say, very punchy with the help of the EQ.

It was bought purely as a backup to the Kinal, but to be honest, I'm planning to open the set with it, and maybe I'll leave the Kinal on the stand tonight.

Bring on tonights gig.

That looks rather nice Russ.

How tight are you? I mean the strings of course :) Narrower than the Kinal (that's 17mm at the bridge if I remember correctly)?

I played my P yesterday after a couple of weeks of mainly playing 15mm spaced Status and occasionally 17mm Spector. It was a very odd experience indeed.

I'm really getting into 15mm spacing.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='640046' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:55 PM']Will the Fernandes make its debut tonight then?[/quote]

Sure will mate.

Yes, I knew you'd like it Dave, MIJ, perfect condition, an absolute steal IMO, so I'll bring it on Saturday along with the Kinal.

Yes Pete, it's narrower than the Kinal, 16mm I think although I've not had the ruler out yet.

Gig's @ The Lowes Arms in Stockport tonight mate.

Yes Ped, Robert Trujillo uses a Fernandes, different model to mine though and probably a custon job. Fernandes are best know for the budget stuff they make, but these APB-5s (APB-100 not sure which) are at the higher end of the scale I believe.

Heard this rig last night - absolutely superb. Russ started with the Fernandes and it sounded really nice, punchy and deep and then he put the other bass on the strap and F'Kinal, it rattled my piles.

That set up is perfect for you Russ, great sound.

Keep that Kinal mate :) Can't remember hearing a better sounding bass - it looked great on stage too.

Ha ha....she was out Steve, no wife, no kids just peace and quiet.

Cheers for that Al, it was great to see you mate, pity we were crap in the first set, second set as usual was [i]much[/i] better. I kept standing on the lead into my floor tuner and pulling it out. I just couldn't work out why my sound kept going off :) , ah well, sussed it out in the end. Yeah the Fernandes didn't get a fair go last night, when the sound went off I quickly took it off and put the Kinal on before realizing it wasn't a bass problem, but a lead problem instead. Totally threw me, and it took a handful of songs for the panic to wear off and for me to settle down again. I played the Fernandes with the EQ flat, so it was a little uninspiring tone wise at first. but as soon as I played with the EQ at half time it sounded mega second half.

Superb basses both of 'em, and I'd be a numpty to sell either. Luckily no-one wanted the Kinal when it was up for sale, as you say Peter, I really should hang on to it, it's beyond compare to anything else I've owned.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some recording over the last few days, predominantly with the Fernandes, purely because the output of the Kinal is so massive that it was overloading the laptop, and I preferred the tone of the Fernandes for the techno style stuff we've been doing.

I've got to say, it was totally fabulous. Very Jazz like in it's tone, lovely honk, nice Jaco style tone rolled back to the bridge pup, but it has a very nice low end thud too, it's a superb bass.

Live, I use the Kinal mostly, but at home and in the studio, the Fernandes seems to be my first choice now.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='653812' date='Nov 13 2009, 04:59 PM']Are you pleased with the Fender 400? Always wondered about Fender bass amps...[/quote]

Very happy indeed. I wanted a Super Redhead, but this was the next best thing. I was worried about lack of bottom end, but I needn't have, it has punch, clarity and thump in spades. I do tend to back the horn off a bit, but I do like a fairly bright and punchy tone it has to be said.

I reluctantly sold my Roland DB500 to help fund it, I loved that little amp, but I love the Fender more.

The only issue is the crippling weight........ :)