Why become a member? ×

Bryant Double Bass Up for Sale

Cairobill

Hi all,

My Paul Bryant 'Solobass' model Double Bass is for sale. Set-up and maintained by Lawrence Dixon in London. It's an easy bass to play, especially in the upper registers and has a full, dark tone with loads and loads of definition in the mids. A great jazz db, handmade in England by luthier Paul Bryant. A very reluctant sale...

It's valued at 4K and I'm based in South London, Cheers, Nick.

Here's the blurb -

"Paul Bryant Solo Bass from 2005. String stop 104cm. Fully carved double bass handmade in England by luthier Paul Bryant. Spruce front, maple back, ribs and neck with some flame. Ebony board. Very Good condition. Comes strung with Spirocore Reds for jazz and David Gage "Realist" pickup installed. Also includes high quality soft case with rollers and bow quiver. Comes with documents. More info at : www.bryantbasses.com"

[attachment=35237:0.jpg]
[attachment=35238:1.jpg]
[attachment=35239:2.jpg]
[attachment=35240:3.jpg]

Edited by Cairobill

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cairobill' post='647014' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:18 AM']Hi,

Just adding some trade options -

Apart from a Yamaha SLB200, I would also be interested in the following

- vintage maple fretboard jazz basses
- upscale maple boarded jazz type basses 4 or 5 string
- really nice fivers e.g. Wal/ W & Tronics etc

Plus top up of cash in the trade...

Cheers!

Nick[/quote]

Would that stretch to a maple boarded F-bass studio? It's not *exactly* a jazz type: but it is quite upscale :-)

[quote name='dougal' post='648841' date='Nov 8 2009, 03:25 PM']Would that stretch to a maple boarded F-bass studio? It's not *exactly* a jazz type: but it is quite upscale :-)[/quote]

Hi Dougal - thanks but the F-Bass isn't so much my thing...

Best,

Nick

It's a beauty...I'll put up a demo in a bit...

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='stefboltonfc' post='650296' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:11 AM']That is gorgeous. Wow.

I've never had a go at a proper fullsize double, my only upright experience was ten minutes on a cheap Stagg thing at PMT (hehe) Manchester.

That just looks like it would be a dream to play.

Major, major jealousy here![/quote]

[quote name='Cairobill' post='637618' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:16 AM'][attachment=35240:3.jpg][/quote]
Does this bass have a small right angled patch of spruce replaced on the top just out of the picture?

I remember Paul selling a bass where he had removed a knot from the top and the grain of the patch didn't quite match.

cheers
Keith

Hi Keith,

It's one and the same - I don't have any detail shots but this is another shot with the location of the patch in view although you cant see it in the pic. It is a 4X3cm right angled triangular patch placed over a knot that appeared in the top during working. It is adjacent to the edge of the top right shoulder (i.e. on the G string side). It doesn't go to the edge and is pretty subtle...

Cheers,

Nick

[attachment=36154:0.jpg]

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='652041' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:50 PM']Does this bass have a small right angled patch of spruce replaced on the top just out of the picture?

I remember Paul selling a bass where he had removed a knot from the top and the grain of the patch didn't quite match.

cheers
Keith[/quote]

• 8 months later...

Just wanted to let Basschatters know that I recently played this bass, and it is a fantastic instrument! Particularly at the price. I had to tell Nick that I would buy it in an instant if I were a UK resident. (Shipping it to Canada, it turns out, would likely add another 1,000 to the price. Plus there's the risk involved...).

If you live anywhere near this bass, don't miss out!

Sincerely,

Paul O'Connell
Toronto

Roll up roll up. Bryant bass going hot hot hot!

Again, if anyone wants to part-ex a Yamaha SLB200 for this lovely bass, let me know.

I will put up a vid of the Bryant soon. Don't want to sell this but needs must and all.

Cheers

Nick