Why become a member? ×

James Johnston signature Squier

jim_bass

Verdict....it's the same as the normal classic vibe....
The Lake Placid Blue is an amazing rendition though, as nice as my USA 75 Reissue...
I think they're great, playing both basses side by side, i got lost for five minutes.
Only thing i'd change? Pickups are a bit harsh with the tone control fully open...
I'll consider the J.Johnston for the body of my franken fretless i have planned.
As a note the, the JJ doesn't sport a thumbrest as in the pictures on the website, unlike the other Cv's where i feel it gets in the way.

I'd say buy it, but only if you need LPB (like i always do) and you can justify the £40 or so difference.
If you think about it, Musicman charge £70 extra for a matching headstock, so it ain't too bad really!

Edited by AndyTravis

The factory is 'Grand Reward Education and Entertainment'.
Made in Guang Dong Province, South China.

Very nice guys, great guitar builders, glad Fender have found them,
Their own brand Jazz Copy the FJB-6 Is unbeliveable for little more than £200.

The Classic Vibes are doing Squier Proud, i hope the Vintage modifieds end up there!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='650631' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:49 PM']Okay, so I've put the phrase "Grand Reward Education and Entertainment" into a babel fish Chinese translator & it came out with... 盛大奖励教育和娱乐

There's your answer :)

I like this one better, though... 性交,如果我知道![/quote]
I tried that myself but it somehow seemed unsatisfactory and illegible too - due to my lack of ability in oriental languages.

I was hoping for something like [i]Shae Kana Beibe Nau[/i], which I could pronounce.

• 4 months later...

Just played one of these this afternoon in Dawson's- tried it back to back against the standard Classic Vibe Jazz. I was very impressed with both of them! The JJ sig claims to have upgraded pickups compared to the CV, but I couldn't tell the difference between them to be honest! As others have said, it's a case of whether you like LPB (and James/Biffy) enough to pay the extra. The finish and playability of the pair I sampled was fantastic in both cases- I see what all the fuss is about with these! I gig with my Squier JV P-bass all the time, so the name on the headstock wouldn't put me off owning one. The weight of both was spot on too. Wish I could say the same for my boat-anchor US Jazz... :)

[quote name='Etienne' post='793456' date='Apr 1 2010, 04:28 PM']Just played one of these this afternoon in Dawson's- tried it back to back against the standard Classic Vibe Jazz. I was very impressed with both of them! The JJ sig claims to have upgraded pickups compared to the CV, but I couldn't tell the difference between them to be honest! As others have said, it's a case of whether you like LPB (and James/Biffy) enough to pay the extra. The finish and playability of the pair I sampled was fantastic in both cases- I see what all the fuss is about with these! I gig with my Squier JV P-bass all the time, so the name on the headstock wouldn't put me off owning one. The weight of both was spot on too. Wish I could say the same for my boat-anchor US Jazz... :)[/quote]

which one Etienne, i didn' see you today

trav

James Johnston was using a prototype of the squier as his main bass (drop-d) when i went to see biffy in august and it sounded just as huge as the fenders he was using for other tunings, i don't know whether that was the bass or the wall of ashdown gear it was going through though. But he was playing it for most of the show, a good sign i think!

• 5 months later...

Hi all.

I'm new to basschat here.

I just bought one of these for £275 from this place:

[url="http://www.petercooksguitars.co.uk/catalog/string-basses-c-30_50.html?filter_id=55&sort=3a"]http://www.petercooksguitars.co.uk/catalog...=55&sort=3a[/url]

Although I bought the last one left, they said they would order more in.
In all honesty I can't tell the difference between the non-signature model and this one, but it is still a fab bass to play (not to mention its looks!)