Why become a member? ×

James Johnston signature Squier

jim_bass

Well

I think its quite cool and really nice looking too. I also love the fact that a guy from Ayrshire has a Sig Bass available. I think you will see him playing one but the smart money will be on it being a Ghost Built custom job labelled as the Squire. I am going to see Biffy on Monday, I'll try and keep you appraised.

Chris

I know you cant compare the two james to each other, but was jameson a household name in the sixties or was it just known some guy played most of the bass on the motown stuff ? I know biffy are'nt huge but have supported the likes of the stones, so clearly there is a market for this bass. I know there are more deserving players who should have had sig models, burnell for one if recent comments about on here about "this guy made me want to pick up the bass" are anything to go by. Dee Dee also springs to mind, dee dee over dirnt anyday.

[quote name='buff' post='638921' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:22 AM']I know you cant compare the two james to each other, but was jameson a household name in the sixties or was it just known some guy played most of the bass on the motown stuff ? I know biffy are'nt huge but have supported the likes of the stones, so clearly there is a market for this bass. I know there are more deserving players who should have had sig models, burnell for one if recent comments about on here about "this guy made me want to pick up the bass" are anything to go by. Dee Dee also springs to mind, dee dee over dirnt anyday.[/quote]

Quite true, but the most deserving or best players aren't the cash cows. Young, hip, pretty & popular with the kids are the money makers for record companies and instrument manufacturers. Obviously there are some notable exceptions, but that's generally how things work.

Witness Pete Wentz. Oh dear.

I think that the bass looks pretty cool and no doubt there will be a lot of teenagers in around Glasgow that would really want one! I think the bass has a cool look with the matching headstock. So at least it doesn't look like another Squier.

Price just now is about 400 odd quid from where I've looked, which I consider a bit much for a Squier. However, if it plays well and people like it then it will be a good bit of business for Fender/Squier/Biffy.

i've said for a while now the next signature bass squier need to bring out is squier version of the mark hoppus bass.

think about it. blink 182's target audience is teenagers. how many teenagers have £500 spare to spend on a bass (like the fenders cost)? is there a similar, cheaper bass to the fender mark hoppus out? nope. you either have a precision or a jazz. and you dont get many squiers in the same bright colours as the mark hoppus jazz either.

squier missed a perfect opportunity as well, they could have brought one out just for blink getting back together, or for the start of their new tour. the next best time will be when the new album comes out, i'm just hoping someone at fender thinks of this by then!

Edited by Tait

[quote name='Tait' post='645749' date='Nov 4 2009, 09:47 PM']i've said for a while now the next signature bass squier need to bring out is a mark hoppus one.

think about it. blink 182's target audience is teenagers. how many teenagers have £500 spare to spend on a bass? is there a similar, cheaper bass out? nope. you either have a precision or a jazz. and you dont get many squiers in those bright colours either.

squier missed a perfect opportunity as well, they could have brought one out just for blink getting back together, or for the start of their new tour. the next best time will be when the new album comes out, i'm just hoping someone at fender thinks of this by then![/quote]

I'm pretty sure that there has been a Mark Hoppus bass out. I think it was a Fender Mexican(Japan maybe?) thing with the body of a jazz bass and the neck of a precision. Wasn't that much more expensive than what is being charged for the Johnston bass in this thread. Unless I imagined it having ever existed!

[quote name='thodrik' post='645666' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:28 PM']Price just now is about 400 odd quid from where I've looked, which I consider a bit much for a Squier.[/quote]

Surely this is just an issue with your perception of the Squier brand?
If an instrument is built to a good enough standard and sounds great, then surely it deserves it's price to be based upon those qualities rather than the name on the headstock.

Si

[quote name='thodrik' post='645777' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:15 PM']I'm pretty sure that there has been a Mark Hoppus bass out. I think it was a Fender Mexican(Japan maybe?) thing with the body of a jazz bass and the neck of a precision. Wasn't that much more expensive than what is being charged for the Johnston bass in this thread. Unless I imagined it having ever existed![/quote]

no, there is. its about £500. that was my point. they should do a cheaper squier version for us teens who can't afford that. although i agree, if it would be a similar price to the james johnston bass, there wouldnt be any point.

although reading back i admit i didnt make it clear. i'll edit my original post to be clearer.

Edited by Tait

[quote name='Sibob' post='645781' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:17 PM']Surely this is just an issue with your perception of the Squier brand?
If an instrument is built to a good enough standard and sounds great, then surely it deserves it's price to be based upon those qualities rather than the name on the headstock.

Si[/quote]

Ah yes, the old 'if it plays well then it doesn't matter what is on the headstock' argument. Lots of cheap basses play and sound perfectly fine, it is down to player most of the time to make something sound good,unless the instrument is just rubbish! The fact that this is a 'signature' bass means that the argument that the bass should be priced solely on build quality, quality control and so on doesn't really apply. Would the same bass, minus the Biffy association be sold at the same price? I very much doubt that!

I'm not putting down the Squier brand or looking down on the brand. I own one of the Affinity jazz basses and it plays great. Its just that as Squiers are marketed as the budget end of Fender, there comes a price point where they might as well stick a Fender logo on it rather than a Squier one. The Johnston bass is only a little bit cheaper than a standard mexican jazz, so why would I spend 400 quid on a squier when I could just as easily get one that will play and sound pretty much the same for less than 200?

I'm not sure if the Johnston basses are different enough from the other Squiers, paint colour and Biffy sig aside, for me to consider paying the extra money. Are Squier Johnston's going to be on such a different level compared to other Squiers, in terms of build quality, electronics and set up to justify the extra price? I'm not a massive fan of the band, so I don't really want it for the reason of band association etc.

I have absolutely no doubts that the basses will be cool and play well, if people are willing to pay that price for it, good for them.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='thodrik' post='645830' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:09 PM']I'm not sure if the Johnston basses are different enough from the other Squiers, paint colour and Biffy sig aside, for me to consider paying the extra money. Are Squier Johnston's going to be on such a different level compared to other Squiers, in terms of build quality, electronics and set up to justify the extra price? I'm not a massive fan of the band, so I don't really want it for the reason of band association etc.

I have absolutely no doubts that the basses will be cool and play well, if people are willing to pay that price for it, good for them.[/quote]

I'll let you know when I get hold of both the Squiers due to me lol
Looking forward to it nomnomnom

Si

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='645602' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:26 PM']You would not believe this is an Indonesian-made Squier.[/quote]
There are some very good instruments being made in Indonesia.

[quote name='bh2' post='645656' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:20 PM']As far as I know, they are the CV Jazzers with a repaint and price hike.[/quote]
The CV Jazz is made in China - where there are also now some very good instruments being made.

I was hoping to have the basses for my gigs this weekend, but will have to wait for next week now booooooooo lol.

If anyone is interested, Biffy's whole new album is streaming at their myspace:
[url="http://www.myspace.com/biffyclyro"]http://www.myspace.com/biffyclyro[/url]

Tracks worth noting (for the uninitiated) are:
The Captain
That Golden Rule
Born On A Horse
Mountains

I'm sure others will jump out at me upon further listens :)

Si