Why become a member? ×

How to choose EUB?

aud

Having read lots of advice on the forums I still dont know how to choose what to buy!
Ive had some lessons on a hired acoustic DB but would like to buy an EUB
I found shops where I could try a Stagg and a NS WAV, but is there anywhere to have an Eminence demonstrated in the South or Midlands in England?

Only place I managed to try an Eminence was at the Bass Gallery in camden. It was some time ago and I'm not sure they always have one in stock.

Depending on how urgent your need is, you may want to arrange to meet people with EUBs at the next bass bash. I'd be happy to take my BSX Allegro to the next south east bash for instance. Or if that bass might be your thing, then PM me to arrange something if/when you're in London.

Andy

Eminence are imported by SMART Distribtion. Ian, their MD, posts on here and especially under the Affiliates section. I think they're based in Kent somewhere, but when I checked as I wanted to try one out Ian said they don't hold stock and just bring them in as and when people order them; very short lead time though.

The base model, fixed neck 4 string, is around £1800, which was too much for me to take a punt on an untried format, so I plumped for the Aria SWB. I'm actually glad I got the Aria as it's sonically more versatile (mag and piezo pickups) and smaller, although the aesthete in me much prefers the look of the Eminence.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='636472' date='Oct 25 2009, 08:45 PM']By co-incidence I have also just got the urge to purchase an electric upright as I can see the potential for adding low volume daytime sessions in to our wedding repertoire.

Think I will just dip my toes in to the budget end at first and the name Stagg seems to keep cropping up

Any thoughts ??[/quote]

Yeah, I've got two Staggs now. I converted my first one (bought new from iMusician for £285 earlier this year) to a low-B 5 string and whenever I play it, I receive very favourable comments from other musos about the sound. The second one I bought for £50 with a broken body but it glued back together just fine with just a small piece of wood routed into the break to strengthen it. I'm toying with the idea of converting it to a high-C 5 string.... but then I might just leave it as a 4-string.

For the money they're pretty good if you can get them set up properly. The nut is usually cut so high you could drive a double decker under the strings at the nut. It's made from plastic so is easy to do and once done, the dot markers are much more accurate. The bridge is height adjustable so a fairly low action can be achieved if you're coming from a bass guitar like I did. I'm slowly raising the action as I get used to it so I can "dig in" a bit more. The other thing you'll need to do is to line the electronics cavity with sticky-back foil to eliminate the hum. Some have cheap jack sockets which don't make a great connection but it's easily replaced. The strings that come with it are perfectly good (similar feel to my Thomastik Superflexibles) though some report broken g-strings which is probably caused by badly cut nuts. If you replace the strings, you'll probably need 4/4 size because of the extra length between the bridge and string anchor block (my Thomastik low-b string was a 3/4 and the silk winding had to be modified to clear the nut) .... oh, and you'll need to wedge some foam under the strings between the bridge and anchor to stop them resonating whilst you play.

I'm currently compiling a pictorial modification procedure [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/52673786@N00/sets/72157622373540977/detail/"]here[/url]

It'll probably never sound like a traditional acoustic upright but with a bit of experimentation on the EQ, can sound like an electrified AUB, if you get my drift. If I need a trad sound for recording, I just mic my AUB instead.

The Palatino range are popular as first time EUB purchases. They're relatively cheap, and like the Stagg models they will need some time and modification to get them playing properly. Not sure about the Stagg, but the Palatinos can be modified to use a drum stand so they become hands-free. There's loads about this on Talkbass, and I have some photos as well I could PM you if needed. The Palatinos seem to be like the SX basses of the upright world and have a loyal following of users and modders.

Most people assume, and I know I did, that buying an EUB will get you an upright sound in an electric package. Simply not true. You can get close, and some really high end models do. But at the end of the day it's nothing more than a fancy fretless bass. Knowing this, you can work better with the instrument to work around an short comings.

I'm a Stagg user. Not modified so I'll be interested to see what you do Mateybass. Iw as wondering if that was a 5 string Stagg in yoru avatar...
I'd like to know about sorting the nut ...

Meanwhile, it's a perfectly good first upright for people not sure. For about £250, used, you can work out if you are going to like playing that way.

I've played the WAV and I find the stand a pain. I like to lean and move the Stagg around when I'm playing which I couldn't do with the WAV.
I'd prefer something that looks a bit more like a scaled down double bass rather than a neck on a stand but apart from that it's fine.

Hi,
I've got one of the new NS WAV4's and it's great (cosmetic build quality issues aside - and actually the body looks great!) I also don't really agree that you can't get a good acoustic upright sound. As long as you amplify/record appropriately I think you can get pretty close. I think the trick is to not treat it like a bass guitar, the minute you start getting rid of high mids or over-compressing the sound, you definately slip into fretless bass territory. In fact the WAV4's polar pickup sounds exactly like a fretless in arco mode, but has a great acoustic thump in plucked mode.
I've also tried the Ergo EUB which is hard to get hold of in the UK, but which has a brilliant simplicity to it, and sounds great if treated right.
If I were you though I'd wait until the new NS NXT EUB comes out and see if you can try one out as it definately sounds interesteing on paper.
Andy

[quote name='aud' post='635716' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:54 PM']Having read lots of advice on the forums I still dont know how to choose what to buy!
I found shops where I could try a Stagg and a NS WAV, but is there anywhere to have an Eminence demonstrated in the South or Midlands in England?[/quote]
i got a Curruthers EUB - its fantastic!!!

Sounds just like the real thing!
Its got full range of EQ including parametric mids.
can also take it apart and fit in into a small hardcase smaller than a headless bass!!

hope that helps

[quote name='aud' post='635716' date='Oct 24 2009, 10:54 PM']Having read lots of advice on the forums I still dont know how to choose what to buy!
I found shops where I could try a Stagg and a NS WAV, but is there anywhere to have an Eminence demonstrated in the South or Midlands in England?[/quote]

Hi Aud.

Whereabouts in the 'south' are you? If you can make your way to the South west bass bash in Cardiff, I'll have my Eminence with me and you're welcome to try it there.

Other than finding a friendly Eminence owner, there really isn't any opportunity to try before you buy in the UK. The market for these basses is small and the high price (compared to the likes of the Stagg & the Wav) means that you aren't likely to find one just hanging about in a shop. Like most eminence owners in the UK, I bought mine unseen and uplayed based purely on it's reputation. I love it to bits and it's pretty much everything I expected. If for any reason I needed or wanted to sell, I'm sure there'd be no problem finding a buyer.

If you have the funds, I'd recommend just going for the Eminence - it feels and sound much more like an acoustic bass than the Aria or the Wav.

Dave

[quote name='aud' post='635716' date='Oct 24 2009, 09:54 PM']Having read lots of advice on the forums I still dont know how to choose what to buy!

Hi,
These instruments can all be rather expensive and i for example have been looking for some time now and with the feel and sound being paramount, i have tried many shop available EUB's but finall bought a Clifton as it was in my price range albeit second hand. Yes, it's a bespoke bass but it feels and gives the acoustic sounds that a traditional bass gives, so in my opinion i narrowed my chices down and found something realistic. [url="http://www.cliftonbasses.co.uk/upright.html"]http://www.cliftonbasses.co.uk/upright.html[/url]

On the other hand, i did try one of these bases [url="http://www.bespokebasses.co.uk/"]http://www.bespokebasses.co.uk/[/url] I loved it, and it played superbly, and sounded even more authentic than my Clifton, but a tad out of my price range no matter how i tried to fiddle the account :) You dont get much bass for your money, but in terms of sound and playability, its right up there. You can hear the sound clips on the website and take it from there, as in reality they sound the same from the instrument itself. My advice is certainly try before you buy and make sure all the sounds are there and the instrument is not a dog to play

Steve

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='636693' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:47 AM']Most people assume, and I know I did, that buying an EUB will get you an upright sound in an electric package. Simply not true. You can get close, and some really high end models do. But at the end of the day it's nothing more than a fancy fretless bass. Knowing this, you can work better with the instrument to work around an short comings.[/quote]

Correct.
There are some great Electric Uprights about,but you have to be prepared to spend a lot-e.g. Clifton,Clevinger,Eminence etc.
Basses like the NS or the Dean Pace are more like Vertical fretless basses than Uprights. The whole playing experience is different
on these instruments.They have no body bouts to allow thumb position playing,the strings are usually alot lighter gauge,and most of
all,the sound is just not the same.Most also don't allow arco playing.
I use a Clifton Upright for practical reasons when I need Volume with out feedback,and these basses really
are very upright-like.
An Electric Upright like the NS is no substitute for an Upright. Most of the players would struggle to last a couple of numbers on a
'real' bass.

[quote name='Doddy' post='637066' date='Oct 26 2009, 04:50 PM']Correct.
There are some great Electric Uprights about,but you have to be prepared to spend a lot-e.g. Clifton,Clevinger,Eminence etc.
Basses like the NS or the Dean Pace are more like Vertical fretless basses than Uprights. The whole playing experience is different
on these instruments.They have no body bouts to allow thumb position playing,the strings are usually alot lighter gauge,and most of
all,the sound is just not the same.Most also don't allow arco playing.
I use a Clifton Upright for practical reasons when I need Volume with out feedback,and these basses really
are very upright-like.
An Electric Upright like the NS is no substitute for an Upright. Most of the players would struggle to last a couple of numbers on a
'real' bass.[/quote]
Great comments and in my mind i also agree with the fact that the NS is not a good substitute for an upright

Thanks to you all, it sounds like is is worth going to a bass bash to hear what they sound like and talk about sounds.
Not sure how my current DB teacher (he's an orchestral type) will cope when I show him an EUB!

[quote name='OldGit' post='636707' date='Oct 26 2009, 09:01 AM']I'm a Stagg user. Not modified so I'll be interested to see what you do Mateybass. Iw as wondering if that was a 5 string Stagg in yoru avatar...
I'd like to know about sorting the nut ...

Meanwhile, it's a perfectly good first upright for people not sure. For about £250, used, you can work out if you are going to like playing that way.[/quote]

Yes it is a 5 string Stagg, probably the only one in existence :) More photos [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/52673786@N00/sets/72157622373166073/detail/"]here[/url]

Sorting the nut is fairly straight forward as it's plastic, like a guitar. A set of suitable files or a friendly luthier will sort it.

I concur in part with Doddy- while I find the sound of my NS eub to be a good approximation of amplified double bass, both arco and pizz (I have proper DB strings on it, and it is setup with a high action), the lack of bouts is a real problem. I play my double bass cello style, with the bouts against my legs and torso, and it provides a very stable platform. The lack of bouts on the EUB means I can't play it like this, and consequently the is neck prone to wobble, and it is therefore more difficult to play in tune, especially arco. For this reason I tend not to use the EUB these days. Sorting out decent pickup and ampification for the DB has eliminated one of the advantages of the EUB; the only advantage the EUB has left is ease of travel.

Jennifer