Why become a member? ×

Wide neck 5 string bass

smileegee

Hi all,

I looking to buy a 5 string bass, my only concern is String spacing. I have large hand and this seems to make my playing a bit clumsy when playing a 5 string. Currently using a Warwick Corvette Standard but just can’t the same feeling as when I play my 4 string Warwick?

Q1. What bass have wide neck but still have that good sound?

Q2.Is there any good second hand bass shop anywhere that I could check out.

Gee

[quote name='smileegee' post='633466' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:44 PM']Hi all,

I looking to buy a 5 string bass, my only concern is String spacing. I have large hand and this seems to make my playing a bit clumsy when playing a 5 string. Currently using a Warwick Corvette Standard but just can’t the same feeling as when I play my 4 string Warwick?

Q1. What bass have wide neck but still have that good sound?

Q2.Is there any good second hand bass shop anywhere that I could check out.

Gee[/quote]
You probably need the 19mmm spacing of a precision. What's your budget?
I can suggest an Indie Swamp 5 for £615 new or half that used.
Going up in budget a Fender Precision 5, or a bit more still and do what I've done, which is to get one made (in my case a P5 by Jon Shuker)

I had a Streamer Stage 1 6 string and the neck was huge, a bit too big for me. I currently play a Yamaha TRB 6 with 18mm and it is just perfect, the Streamer I believe is 20mm. A good friend of mine is actually selling a Streamer Stage 1 5 string. Do you want me to find out more details for you? If so, PM me. Good luck and take care.

Cheers,

Matt

[quote name='gilmour' post='633639' date='Oct 22 2009, 06:27 PM']another +1 on the Yamaha TRB 5

I had a warwick thumb 5 for a while and the string spacing was to close for me, the Yamaha was instantly playable for me. Plus they're great basses and you can get them dirt cheap![/quote]

Yeah I had a Thumb 6 and the spacing was a little tight. Yamaha is the winner for me too :)

Edited by mattbass6

Just spoken to my mate and he is letting his, natural finish, immaculate condition, Streamer Stage I 5 string go for £1000.00 or very nearest offer. I have played the bass and it is stunning. If you are interested, let me know and I will pass on his details for you. Take care.

Cheers,

Matt

18mm's not a wide spacing in my book, most high-end 5-strings are 19mm as standard. I used to have a Warwick Streamer Stage I and that was 20mm spacing !!!! If you have the cash I'd be looking at the Stage I that's being offered. If you want wide, that is.