Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 5 Pro

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Just got sorted on a new rig. Which includes an Ampeg SVT 5 Pro head.

It has a seperate overdrive channel, that i can combine with the clean channel to create some pretty cool sounds.

Problem is, i prefer the grindy sound of the Hartke Bass attack pedal i won in the SE BB raffle over the Ampegs overdrive channel. The Attack pedal has a "brite" knob, which makes all the difference which gives me lots of nasty high end snap (Extreme levels that can cut through death metal out loud volumes. The Ampeg cannnot do this on its own, lacking a brite knob and the Hi-Treble switch does not provide enough. Is this normal? Is there an amp that can produce that kind of Brightness? Should i just stick out with the ampeg and plug the Hartke into it as a pre-amp? Is there a way of modifying the ampeg to provide this high end snap? ( I would rather keep the controls within the amp as apposed to on the bass onboard pre-amp)

Otherwise the ampeg is a lovely amp, provides bags of Mid range and sounds as an ampeg should.

I just think its a shame i need to plug in the Hartke pedal to provide the sound i need to cut through in the (ridiculous) metal band.

Cheers guys!

Rob.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='633443' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:15 PM']just use the pedal as a pedal infront of the amp, surely?[/quote]

Seems a shame to use a £89 pre-amp pedal into a Ampeg really!

Honestly, i dont like using pedals. I was wondering if there is anything i could do settingswise on the Ampeg or if it can be modified internally to have a variable bright knob.

I could possibly get a Graphic EQ put into my rack, But the holes dont line up correctly and the amp which is 2U only fits bang into the centre of my 3U rack unit. So not enough space either side for anything else!

Rob.

Punk vs Metal...Punk wins :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, the Ampegs seem to be more warm and vintage like. Thats the ones I tried anyway. You might start to really like it!

I used to love a really over the top bright sound, but Ive realised it sometimes stops it sounded bassy enough. I still occasionally do it mind.

I reckon boost the mids. Most metal bands ive heard suck all the mids....all the time. If the guitars have mids decreased, have a little boost on your mids.

:)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='633912' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:08 PM']Punk vs Metal...Punk wins :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, the Ampegs seem to be more warm and vintage like. Thats the ones I tried anyway. You might start to really like it!

I used to love a really over the top bright sound, but Ive realised it sometimes stops it sounded bassy enough. I still occasionally do it mind.

I reckon boost the mids. Most metal bands ive heard suck all the mids....all the time. If the guitars have mids decreased, have a little boost on your mids.

:)[/quote]

I usually do boost my mids all the time. Though i feel i am covering up the guitars far too much. Hence why i go for extreme treble instead.

Blimey .. i had my fingers crossed that youd found the holy grail ....

not a diy job i guess but im sure you can throw a different value pot in or add a resistor to tune your freq band a little ( no warranty worries anyway )

Maybe Dave Hall can advise ?

SO close yet .. oh so far

Agreed .. patching the raffle prize in front of the monolith isnt ideal

oh and what cables / connectors are you using , they can be tone(Rob)bers . geddit ??

Or just buy another monster amp or 2 lol

Gary
v8

[quote name='v8bass' post='634553' date='Oct 23 2009, 03:57 PM']Blimey .. i had my fingers crossed that youd found the holy grail ....

not a diy job i guess but im sure you can throw a different value pot in or add a resistor to tune your freq band a little ( no warranty worries anyway )

Maybe Dave Hall can advise ?

SO close yet .. oh so far

Agreed .. patching the raffle prize in front of the monolith isnt ideal

oh and what cables / connectors are you using , they can be tone(Rob)bers . geddit ??

Or just buy another monster amp or 2 lol

Gary
v8[/quote]

haha, Sorry gary. I like the idea of throwing a different value pot. But could take alot of work. Maybe a Outboard Graphic EQ is the answer. Any decent Rack mount EQs out there that i should be looking at?

The cables are all custom made by a good friend of mine. They are the best of the best i can assure you of that!

I would love to buy another amp as this ampegs got a great rock tone.

Oli, The Vintage has not arrived yet, The issue is not with the cab, i want the amp to be able to do the trebley tone through ANY cab as apposed to just through tweeter equipped ones. The Hartke can do this, the ampeg cannot.

Rob.