Why become a member? ×

1975 Oly White Ibanez Precision 2369B-WH (MIJ)

Beedster

I bought this on ebay a couple of months back for a specific project for which it's no longer needed. If I felt it would be simple I'd have it defretted and have the electrics modified (see below) as it's got a lovely tone and a really solid feel. It's also got lovely natural relicing and, dare I say it, mojo :) However, what I assumed were painted on blocks turned out to be inlays and the last thing my fretless intonation needs is a load of block between the notes! Neck holes don't line up with Fender either so I can't put any of my fretless necks on the body (which is a shame as I could really use a PJ fretless).

Good things

*Structurally solid as a rock
*Tone is outstanding (Jazz PUP is right at the bridge giving a real growl whilst PPUP is slightly closer to the neck than usual giving a little more bass than the usual P-tone)
*Lovely neck & action
*TI Jazz Flats

Bad things
*PUP selection is via switch meaning that you can only have each PUP either on or off. I was going to rewire using stacked controls to give volume and tone on each, which I think this baby could really benefit from. I imagine neck PUP full up with a little bridge PUP dialled in will be he perfect tone on this bass
*Looks like it's been played for 34 years, which it probably has! Mojo'd to hell :rolleyes:

[attachment=34835:Image0133.jpg][attachment=34836:Image0141.jpg]

[attachment=34837:Image0138.jpg][attachment=34838:Image0142.jpg]

[attachment=34839:Image0140.jpg][attachment=34840:Image0147.jpg]

[attachment=34841:Image0138.jpg][attachment=34842:Image0146.jpg]

How's £250 delivered or trade for a good lined fretless neck (Fender)?

Chris

PS I'd welcome any comments on this bass from the Jap experts as I can't find a whole lot of info?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='BassKS' post='631664' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:02 PM']Something tells me you might have bought Clarkys bass :).

This is also a nice bass. Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

LOL, no mate, just thought I'd need a fretted for a recording session next month and we're no longer going to record the song in question so I'm going to be sticking to fretless exclusively from now on (hoping to move to upright also)
Hope all's well
Chris

[quote name='BassKS' post='631665' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:02 PM']Something tells me you might have bought Clarkys bass :).[/quote]

Although the odds were certainly high givem mine and Clarky's almost identical taste in basses and kit :rolleyes:

I have this exact model - it's a great bass. It was my first bass in 1992 and one I shall always treasure for its solid feel and great sound. It's well worth an electronics upgrade (I had to change the switch and pots on mine).

If I had money to spare (I don't) and I played 4 strings (I don't), I'd get this in a heartbeat. Lovely piece of craftsmanship.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='631693' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:19 PM']I have this exact model - it's a great bass. It was my first bass in 1992 and one I shall always treasure for its solid feel and great sound. It's well worth an electronics upgrade (I had to change the switch and pots on mine).

If I had money to spare (I don't) and I played 4 strings (I don't), I'd get this in a heartbeat. Lovely piece of craftsmanship.[/quote]

Cheers JimBob, solid feel and great sound pretty much sums it up :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='631669' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:05 PM']LOL, no mate, just thought I'd need a fretted for a recording session next month and we're no longer going to record the song in question so I'm going to be sticking to fretless exclusively from now on (hoping to move to upright also)
Hope all's well
Chris[/quote]

Yeah not too bad mate, thanks. Constantly keep selling and buying basses, albeit not as much as you, Clarky and a few others.
Upright eh? Good stuff, thats where the gigs and the real deal is.

Very, very nice! I wish I had something appropriate for a trade, I've had nagging GAS for a black-block P for ages, and a vintage JapCrap classic would be ideal.

Anyway - these have been discussed here before - Happy Jack bought one a couple of years ago:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5631"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5631[/url]

There's not much info out there apart from what's linked on the thread - these are pretty rare & genuinely don't come up too often. All the general vintage Ibanez copy stuff applies - built by Fujigen & the quality of their Fender clones was why they got the MIJ Fender contract, never common in the UK due to the popularity of the cheaper-but-identical Antoria range, & 35 - odd years on, most of them are modified, trashed or both.

This is a bit of a collectable, particularly in original condition, and I'm very relieved you didn't mod it - and if I had the cash, the space & could justify it, I'd bite yer arm off for this one. :)

Jon.

Nice one Jon, I thought you might be along on this thread sooner or later! Let me know if you change you mind re a trade :)

I rehearsed it last night and it was quite a revelation. The most noticable characterisitic is the lovely bass response form the P-PUP which places the tone somewhere between classic P and Telebass, but where it differs from the Tele is that the tone is usuable and controllable. That combined with the J-PUP is a very sexy tone indeed. The whole time I was playing it I was thinking "damn, I wish this was fretless", the tone is so different to my Precision (and to my Ric which has a neck PUP) that there is to my mind a strong case for a defret and refin of the neck. That and a rewire (allowing more sensitive control over individual PUP volumes) would perhaps produce a lovely bass, and one distinct in tone from either my Jazz or my Precision. I wish I could stick a Fender fretless neck on it to see how it would play/sound. Not a lot of interest here so perhaps I'll look around for a cheapy fretless neck, fill the holes and give it a go.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Think I'll do the 'withdrawn due to lack of interest' thing here! All things considered I think the best bet is to keep it as a back-up fretted whilst also trying to source a fretless neck that will fit. Might even get some stacked VT pots put in to see how that goes

Thanks for the comments and info above

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='634323' date='Oct 23 2009, 12:06 PM']Think I'll do the 'withdrawn due to lack of interest' thing here! All things considered I think the best bet is to keep it as a back-up fretted whilst also trying to source a fretless neck that will fit. Might even get some stacked VT pots put in to see how that goes

Thanks for the comments and info above

Chris[/quote]
Hi Chris,

You could also think about making Happy Jack an offer for his Ibby fretless precision 2366. [url="http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=EVulTukyIrgjMOuQufBuog%3D%3D"]http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=EVulTu...OuQufBuog%3D%3D[/url]

[quote name='pete.young' post='635199' date='Oct 24 2009, 11:54 AM']Hi Chris,

You could also think about making Happy Jack an offer for his Ibby fretless precision 2366. [url="http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=EVulTukyIrgjMOuQufBuog%3D%3D"]http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=EVulTu...OuQufBuog%3D%3D[/url][/quote]

Thanks Pete, I'll drop him a PM now
Chris

I really quite fancy this, but I'd have to offer up things that I had earmarked as 'Barefaced fundraising sales' :)

To be honest, if Basassin reckons it's collectible in it's current state, it's better in safer hands than mine, as I'd already started planning mods while I was looking at the pictures!

[quote name='King Tut' post='636563' date='Oct 25 2009, 10:37 PM']Very tempted Chris!![/quote]

Think it would sit nicely with your collection Col :rolleyes:

[quote name='mike257' post='636753' date='Oct 26 2009, 10:04 AM']I really quite fancy this, but I'd have to offer up things that I had earmarked as 'Barefaced fundraising sales' :)[/quote]

Go on, try me........