Why become a member? ×

Silica Gel

Musicman20

How long do they last for? I know you can "recharge" them by drying out in an oven, but I have a feeling that in a case that's constantly opened and closed they're not going to be of much use for long until they've absorbed as much water as they can. I think they're only gonna be useful for long term storage, to stop that mouldy musky smell.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='631115' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:44 AM']The only thing we know for certain about silica gel is DO NOT EAT.

S.P.[/quote]

Damn right, it was disgusting!

I always chuck it. I just assumed that it was for long-term storage of stuff and not for cases that open and shut a lot.

Silica gel is really for long term storage and transport in what could turn out to be 'questionable' circumstances. Damp shipping containers, freezing cold airfreight holds, draughty lorries. Once it's in the comfort of your own centrally heated home you can chuck it (unless you live in the rain forest or on a ship).

They do nothing tbh, by the time they've absorbed as much vapour in the air as they can (when the crystals are pink which will happen very quickly in open air) they're useless. You can renew them by leaving in the oven at just over 100C, once they turn blue they're done but won't last very long :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='631582' date='Oct 20 2009, 11:54 AM']Silica gel is really for long term storage and transport in what could turn out to be 'questionable' circumstances. Damp shipping containers, freezing cold airfreight holds, draughty lorries. Once it's in the comfort of your own centrally heated home you can chuck it (unless you live in the rain forest or on a ship).[/quote]

Ditto...My man Henry has this one correct...