Why become a member? ×

Essex boy meets Essex girl

GreeneKing

When the opportunity arose to try a Status for a 2nd time I grabbed it and traded my Marcus Miller IV for a Status Empathy 5.

I owned a Kingbass some years ago and ergonomically it was to be honest a disaster like no other. The Empathy is something quite different. It's about 15mm string spacing at the bridge but my 17mm Spectors have prepared me for this quite well.

I've had an ambition to own a bass from my home town for a while and this one feels like it'll stick around.

I'll take some photos some time.

Well pleased.

Signature to be amended yet again.

[quote name='retroman' post='629247' date='Oct 18 2009, 08:36 AM']Nice One :)

Colchester is my home town too. I was born is Colchester, and raised in a village on the outskirts :rolleyes:[/quote]

I am a Mersea boy but of course I see Colchester as my 'town'. Now live in Kendal but still visit and consider home even though I haven't lived there for over 30 yrs :lol:

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Maybe we should start a sub-forum of Colchester ex-pats? Sign me up too! Heading back there to visit family next weekend and collecting my Les Evans custom from Mike Walsh, who's made a fretted neck for it. No visit is complete without a visit to The Bass Merchant these days either, of course!

I've still got a lot of musical memories from growing up in Colchester - especially playing with the infamous Lord Lucan and the Lookalikes some 20 years back. Ah, happy days!

At The Bass Merchant maybe, Peter - ha ha? That would be nice, though our diary has been filled pretty much already. When are you down there from? One thing I ask going to ask you, Peter, do you know if you can visit the Status unit on Whitehall Industrial Estate to have a mooch around, or is it by appointment only?

When are you getting to Colchester, we're driving down on Thursday, btw?

I'm busy too mark :)

I'm getting there late Fri and seeing my Mum for lunch on the Saturday hopefully with my daughter too. Hope to be meeting up with a BCer and getting a new amp sometime and may pop into BM on Sunday Morning on way North.

I might end up in the Coast Inn on Sat eve for a pint and a bite.

I don't know about Status I'm afraid. Many will though I suspect.

Peter

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='629389' date='Oct 18 2009, 12:28 PM']If you're heading to Status, best to phone and let them know you're coming.
Then they'll be ready for you....[/quote]

hehe!!

I'm also from Colchester.........well...Brightlingsea, but again, consider Colchester as 'my town'.
Big Colchester United fan too :)

My parents still live there, so I get back every now and then, and always visit the Bass Merchant when I do.
I really like the idea of owning a Status, home-town styley, will have to get around to trying one at a gig! :rolleyes:

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='629435' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:15 PM']hehe!!

I'm also from Colchester.........well...Brightlingsea, but again, consider Colchester as 'my town'.
Big Colchester United fan too :)

My parents still live there, so I get back every now and then, and always visit the Bass Merchant when I do.
I really like the idea of owning a Status, home-town styley, will have to get around to trying one at a gig! :rolleyes:

Si[/quote]

Brightlingsea, the home of the best chippys for many miles :lol:

Isn't the world a small place (but I wouldn't want to paint it).

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='629449' date='Oct 18 2009, 01:43 PM']Brightlingsea, the home of the best chippys for many miles :)

Isn't the world a small place (but I wouldn't want to paint it).

Peter[/quote]

Brightlingsea - spent loads of time there as my Aunt Joan lived there. Used to go out on my Uncle's boat. Sleepy as hell but still love the place.

Yeah Bsea is really nice, whenever I go back for christmas, so for 4 or 5 days, I always get very very sleepy haha!

But yeah, back on topic, maybe I should start looking at Statii lol, I think my tone GAS is cured with my Jazz basses.....but there's always 'Sexy Bass' GAS haha

Si

You guys are bringing back some memories for me :rolleyes:

I know Mersea well. Got stranded there once as the tide came in! :)

I also know Brightlingsea very well too. I went to school there, The Colne High School. The chippy down by "The Hard" is excellent. Quite often go for a walk down there when we are visiting the inlaws.

Mrs Retroman originates from Thorrington. Nice sleepy little village.

I grew up in the village of Great Bentley, half way between Clacton and Colchester. It was a good place to grow up, having the huge village green, and being totally surrounded by fields.

I now live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, and I love it here.

good choice Peter! Ive got a soft spot for Stati too, im sure shes a beauty!

can i join the colchester ex-pat club too? I used to work just round the corner from where status are now, at the bottom of whitehall road.

Anyone else know the arts center?

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='630623' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:36 PM']good choice Peter! Ive got a soft spot for Stati too, im sure shes a beauty!

can i join the colchester ex-pat club too? I used to work just round the corner from where status are now, at the bottom of whitehall road.

Anyone else know the arts center?[/quote]

The Arts Centre - oh yes. Used to be St Mary's Art Centre but I think it's Colchester Arts Centre now, isn't it? Some of my formative playing experiences were on that stage! I also did a few plays there when I was a youngster too - one of my favourite venues. Still go to the Christmas gig most years, when we're back down there with the family. Great place, just what an Arts Centre should be.

Awesome! :) The school they had to re-name cause it was that bad. (I was in Greenstead, SCL).

I'll plan on being at the BM at 1100 on Sunday Morning if anyone else can make it then.

Peter

Here's the original (don't know how to link it straight through)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-zQ3riAbd8"]East Anglian Boy[/url]

Edited by GreeneKing