Why become a member? ×

New strings, blackened fingers

GreeneKing

I much prefer nickel strings so ordered a set of Sadowsky nickel plated strings from the States, extra long and with a tapered 130 to fit the Spector Euro LX 5 bridge as some strings struggle to go into the slot.

The old strings were fine but I just don't like the feel of stainless streel strings and they have a brightness that I don't want.

Whilst practicing for about an hour tonight I noticed my fingertips were getting black on both hands. I've had this once before with used strings on my Peavey T-40 and put it down to dirty old strings and chucked them away, they were very dead sounding too. These were new uncut strings however.

Anyone else come across this with Sadowsky nickels? They sound okay.

I have fairly dry hands and strings normally last me forever.

I probably have at least 20 sets of slightly used strings around the house tucked away, must sort them out and put them up for grabs :)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

Could be something to do with the oils in your fingers I suppose.

Nickel can also cause an allergic reaction in certain people, which could also cause this . Nickel is used a lot in jewellery manufacture/plating, hence it comes into contact with skin, i.e. earrings etc, causing nickel itch.

I've had the same problem with nickel acoustic guitar strings, but not all the time, which is strange.

I could be wrong, but I've had this sometimes with different makes and types of string. I think its a part of the finishing/cleaning process that isn't done very well. Most often I've had this on flats from Pyramid and Thomastik. A wipe with a cloth usually gets most of it off the strings and away from your hands.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='622416' date='Oct 10 2009, 01:28 PM']Had some strings on my self build/shuker for almost a year then cut my finger, had to gig and leaked blood on them. Wiped it off with a wet wipe thing and then for the next two gigs had soiled fingers. But the strings are OK now, no soiling. Weird.....[/quote]

you had the same strings on for a year!?!?!?!