Why become a member? ×

A quick visit to The Gallery

Sibob

[quote name='Spoombung' post='802419' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:51 AM']I popped in there yesterday for the first time and got to play a Sei bass (for the first time) - a fretless 5 string. It was immaculately made but just wouldn't sit on my lap at all (massive neckdive).[/quote]

They balance perfectly standing. Of course they also make headless basses.

It was this kind of model:

You can tell the bass will neck dive just from looking at the proportions. All the weight is concentrated on the neck and top horn. The lower horn is positioned too far back on the bass to redress balance - hence the bass neckdives on the lap. I'm sure it's okay with a strap though. Seated, it needs lifting by the neck or leaning on the top to compensate.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='802807' date='Apr 11 2010, 05:44 PM']It was this kind of model:

You can tell the bass will neck dive just from looking at the proportions. All the weight is concentrated on the neck and top horn. The lower horn is positioned too far back on the bass to redress balance - hence the bass neckdives on the lap. I'm sure it's okay with a strap though. Seated, it needs lifting by the neck or leaning on the top to compensate.[/quote]

Funny, I've had 3 Flamboyants and can't say any have noticeably neck-dived when seated. Maybe I sit differently than you! Although always rest my right arm on a bass anyway so maybe I just don't notice.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='802853' date='Apr 11 2010, 06:27 PM']nice reivew albeit one has to appreciate that these are personal views biased by your own preference and taste. One man's meat and all that....

p.s.: none of your links work in the first post.

Thanks[/quote]

That's cos I started this thread quite a while ago, it got revived yesterday I think, so I doubt the stock that I originally tried is on the Gallery website anymore!?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='803180' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:49 PM']That's cos I started this thread quite a while ago, it got revived yesterday I think, so I doubt the stock that I originally tried is on the Gallery website anymore!?

Si[/quote]

Sorry I didn't realize how old the original post was... I must mark a day in my schedule to pay a visit to the Gallery. Eventually when my new Big Al 5 strings comes sometimes in July I will have to go and pick it up anyway. Waiting for a bass on order is one agonizing pain I tell ya.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='803309' date='Apr 12 2010, 01:46 AM']Sorry I didn't realize how old the original post was... I must mark a day in my schedule to pay a visit to the Gallery. Eventually when my new Big Al 5 strings comes sometimes in July I will have to go and pick it up anyway. Waiting for a bass on order is one agonizing pain I tell ya.[/quote]

When i ordered my DJ5 through the gallery the delivery date was spot on. It was only three weeks but even that was agonising (a bit less than the time i had it though)

I've played a few Flam5 headed and headless... and I have owned one of the former for about 17 years.
I have never noticed a dive..it seems very balanced to me..but then I never ever play a bass without a strap..even if I am noodling around on the couch.

I recall talking to MP and he was spot on with the balance..which is nothing less than I expected anyway.
Attention to detail is his thing, IMv...

Anyway... a very good shop. If they stock something, I'll always give them a chance to quote me... and more often that not, it works out.