Why become a member? ×

Big ugly green Sovtek Big Muff

Dodge

Anyone want this? It's working but missing a few bits - the battery box cover is missing, the nut on one of the sockets has disappeared. It works, but the socket with the missing nut is making an intermittent connection on occasion - probably caused a dry joint on the board.

It's REALLY tatty but still sounds great if you like that sort of thing.

Pics here: [url="http://picasaweb.google.com/paul.stansfield"]http://picasaweb.google.com/paul.stansfield[/url]

No idea what it's worth, so I'm open to offers. It's quite heavy actually, so I imagine shipping will be ~£5+

[quote name='Dodge' post='66909' date='Sep 28 2007, 01:53 PM']Anyone want this? It's working but missing a few bits - the battery box cover is missing, the nut on one of the sockets has disappeared. It works, but the socket with the missing nut is making an intermittent connection on occasion - probably caused a dry joint on the board.

It's REALLY tatty but still sounds great if you like that sort of thing.

Pics here: [url="http://picasaweb.google.com/paul.stansfield"]http://picasaweb.google.com/paul.stansfield[/url]

No idea what it's worth, so I'm open to offers. It's quite heavy actually, so I imagine shipping will be ~£5+[/quote]

PM

[quote name='otis_spunkmeyer' post='67108' date='Sep 28 2007, 08:35 PM']judge for yourself

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-SOVTEK-RUSSIAN-BIG-MUFF-DISTORTION-SUSTAIN_W0QQitemZ320162350919QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-SOVTEK-RUSS...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

ok better condition but notice how long left to run...[/quote]

True true, these things are highly sought after in any condition, no less than £100, anyone offering less than that is having a laugh..
These things are rare, esp over here...

Now withdrawn from sale. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to find the battery cover and the missing nut, so i'll fix it up first I think.

Thanks for your interest and sorry for letting bidders down - not really the way I like to do things, but I had no idea it was worth so much.

okay fine

Basschat, pm inbox, 20th june 2007

[quote]I can get one new for £79.99 from www.theplanetofsound.co.uk, so what about £50 shipped?

Cheers

Joe[/quote]

Talkbass, for sale thread 21st June 2007

[quote]Akai Unibass Harmonised Distortion: NOS, BNIB.

I've only opened this to check it works. This is literally BINB.

I'm looking for $200 shipped to the US

Any questions, PM or email me. I can provide excellent trade references[/quote]

of course, you will get a mod to delete this, but i hope enough will see it first

Can you hear the worlds smallest violin playing the saddest saddest song.

This is not a forum where we take advantage of people for lack of knowledge, clearly from him withdrawing it you've offered him bugger all for the pedal I'd say about £40 knowing how you've dealt with me in the past. People are free to make low offers but its immoral when they know how damn much the pedal is worth and the person selling has no clue through no fault of there own, just like I don't buy '62 Jazz basses off little old women for £100 because their husband died and they found it in the attic and don't know what to do with it.

Also don't try attacking me on TB you won't get very far I promise you that.

Hmmm...

I don't normally get involved in stuff like this, but is there any difference between what you did and what Kev did? Both spotted a bargain and exploited it for profit. Are you maybe just jealous that he got there first?

How much was the Muff for sale for? Incidently I don't think they're all that rare. I've seen plenty of Sovtek muffs come up on ebay in the past, they're a fetish of mine... :)

If it was tatty I'd say probably £35 / £40 would be fair, I've seen immaculate ones go for around the £65 mark in the past, it all depends on what's popular this month.

No way would I say that this pedal should have a value in excess of a new model. The parts in the Russian Muff are for a large part not as good as the new models, and prone to corrosion. The pedals definitely sound good, but that sound can be acheived with some NOS parts and fitted to a new model. What you pay for is the cool factor, so excellent condition pedals may well attract a higher price than really they are worth. If this pedal is as tatty as it sounds, then I doubt its really worth as much as £100. There are a great many of these pedals still circulating about so I've no idea why anyone is wetting their knickers about!

In Kev's defence, he's been a gent and he's been fair and honest throughout - but I've decided to pull this from sale, purely because I think I can find the bits and maximise what it's worth. This is mostly my fault due to my lack of knowledge - I should have checked the market value before offering it up to be honest.

Past dealings really ought to be kept private in my opinion, so it bearing in mind the sale is off, it might be best for everyone if this thread is deleted and we should all go to the pub instead.

Mine's a bottle of Stella. Cheers to all.

[quote name='DrGonzo' post='67482' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:07 PM']Hmmm...

I don't normally get involved in stuff like this, but is there any difference between what you did and what Kev did? Both spotted a bargain and exploited it for profit. Are you maybe just jealous that he got there first?

How much was the Muff for sale for? Incidently I don't think they're all that rare. I've seen plenty of Sovtek muffs come up on ebay in the past, they're a fetish of mine... :)

If it was tatty I'd say probably £35 / £40 would be fair, I've seen immaculate ones go for around the £65 mark in the past, it all depends on what's popular this month.

No way would I say that this pedal should have a value in excess of a new model. The parts in the Russian Muff are for a large part not as good as the new models, and prone to corrosion. The pedals definitely sound good, but that sound can be acheived with some NOS parts and fitted to a new model. What you pay for is the cool factor, so excellent condition pedals may well attract a higher price than really they are worth. If this pedal is as tatty as it sounds, then I doubt its really worth as much as £100. There are a great many of these pedals still circulating about so I've no idea why anyone is wetting their knickers about![/quote]

As an FYI the old green ones have completely different components than the new ones (well a lot of components are different) either way they sound different and in most peoples opinions better, they are also better built and long since discontinued. No new EHX muff you can buy will sound like an old green one so you have to get boutique clones of them like Way Huge, Skreddy and Euthymia and as those pedals are expensive they've driven the original ones up in price.

So there is a big difference between the Green ones and the Black ones.

Also I'm not jealous I can get a green muff whenever for like 60-70 if that in mint condition :huh: maybe even less

But hope the info on the pedal has proved useful and I found that soundclip of the OD-10 for you and will upload asap.

[quote name='DrGonzo' post='67482' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:07 PM']Hmmm...

I don't normally get involved in stuff like this, but is there any difference between what you did and what Kev did? Both spotted a bargain and exploited it for profit. Are you maybe just jealous that he got there first?[/quote]

I'd say the difference here is that the unibass is (or at least until recently) was worth only about £50 in this country. I bought mine 'new' from the ebay shop meantioned before and only paid £80. It might well be worth a lot more than this in the states, but thats obviously just a local supply issue, and doesnt make that offer any less fair

The muff however is certainly worth around £100 in this country, hence some of us felt the need to point this out.

[quote]No way would I say that this pedal should have a value in excess of a new model. The parts in the Russian Muff are for a large part not as good as the new models, and prone to corrosion. The pedals definitely sound good, but that sound can be acheived with some NOS parts and fitted to a new model. What you pay for is the cool factor, so excellent condition pedals may well attract a higher price than really they are worth. If this pedal is as tatty as it sounds, then I doubt its really worth as much as £100. There are a great many of these pedals still circulating about so I've no idea why anyone is wetting their knickers about![/quote]

That may well be true about paying for the cool factor, but whether or not you feel its worth the money a lot of people are still prepared to pay that much and so the market value is raised

All that being said, you can't balme BassManKev, Toasted or anyone for making a low offer in the hope of a bargain. Its up to the seller to decide whether or not they think its a fair one...

Edited by otis_spunkmeyer

Ste,

Now I really don't get what your post was on about. You say you can get hold of one of these pedals, mint condition, for £60-70. The pedal for sale was tatty and missing parts. You reckoned Kev offered £40 (or so you said...). Why is that not a fair price? Why butt in at all?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='67488' date='Sep 29 2007, 08:17 PM']As an FYI the old green ones have completely different components than the new ones (well a lot of components are different) either way they sound different and in most peoples opinions better, they are also better built and long since discontinued. No new EHX muff you can buy will sound like an old green one so you have to get boutique clones of them like Way Huge, Skreddy and Euthymia and as those pedals are expensive they've driven the original ones up in price.

So there is a big difference between the Green ones and the Black ones.[/quote]

+1 on the components, just try A/B-ing these against the black and us models...

I used an E/H muff for years until doing some recording with a producer who handed me a green pedal, the sound is totally different, more extreme and more bottom end.. The early runs were made with old radio components i heard, but anyway, they use different ones to the other muffs as they let more of the bass signal through.. Common muffs let only a small band of the bass frequency through at the input stage, hence why they are so weedy unless cranked.. After borrowing the one in the studio i looked into the new russian muffs, expecting them to have some similarity in tone but the ones i tried were even thinner sounding than the US model..
Many people (including me) say this is the only muff for bass, and this was the only run that sounded that way.. There are some pedal sites that show you mods to make newer muffs have the same expanded range as the greener..

Also, speaking as someone who has destroyed two American muffs through on stage antics (one literally collapsed in on itself under my foot!)
you cant knock the solid construction!

My 2p on the going for a bargain thing is that yeah, of course we all do that and everyone wants a bargain, but this is not the place for harcore "buyer beware" tactics, i see this as a much more supportive community than say.. ebay, you want to take advantage of a missinfomed seller, go over there where everyone wants everything for £100 less than a reasonable price otherwise you are obviously trying to rip them off... ever done a "buy it now / offers" sale? You do see some funny things!