Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Squier Precision MIJ, A-serial, 85/86 *SOLD*

Bassassin

Ladies, gentlemen & sapient treefrogs: A Squier Precision, made in Japan at Fujigen Gakki between 1985 & 1986, as denoted by the A-prefix serial number. A-serials were fourth in sequence after the original JVs and ran concurrently with most of the preceding E-numbered instruments.

This one's black, with a b/w/b scratchplate and a rosewood board, which makes it all look very, well, black. And therefore rock as f*ck. This may have influenced my purchasing decision a little - did I mention that it's black?

It's in very good condition for its age, great straight neck with narrow frets, negligible fretwear, trussrod works fine, a few bumps & minor dents front & back on the body, which should be clearly visible in the pics. Hardware is in great condition, with just a tiny amount of bubbling on the bridge baseplate, no rust or burring at all on the screws.

Anyway, it'll be pictures you'll want:

Cosmetically it's very nice - to be honest the pics, taken in bright natural light, seem to highlight the imperfections somewhat. A previous owner has presumably either used a metal pick, or maybe had a hook for a hand, resulting in the marking on the scratchplate & pup covers. Just a bit of minor buckle rash round t'back:

The only real damage is this:

Looks like it's been dropped or come off a strap. Just lacquer chips - the wood isn't dented. I flowed a bit of superglue around the edges to help dissuade it from further flaking.

Aside from that, the only other issue it has is a slightly sticky E-string tuner. A bit of a mystery, it's not, and hasn't been bent, I took it apart to clean/lube it and worked it round for a while, which freed it up a bit, but to be honest when tuned & under string tension, it's barely noticeable.

It's entirely original, aside from a couple of "modifications" I made - if you can call them that! A shim in the neck pocket, purely to allow me to raise the saddles a bit - I play with a pick sometimes & Fender saddle height adjusters have an endearing way of ripping chunks out of the side of your palm! I also found the pickup height to be very low (my shim didn't help) so I added a couple of extra foam pads to raise it up a bit. Much louder now!

I quite regretted selling my SQ Squier & got this as a sort of replacement - and I actually like it much better. It's a wonderfully light bass compared to most of my JapCrap, plays really well & I'd say sounds a tad more aggressive than the SQ. It still doesn't sound "right" for my band - and I'll have to accept the fact that P's don't. The fact I also have 3 separate P projects on the go (expect to see at least 2 of them here really soon!) means I can't keep this.

You don't see a great many 80s MIJ Squiers, and most are JV, SQ & E serials so I'm really unsure about price for this - however I'm going to break with the current BC fashion of expecting people to guess, and boot my metaphorical price-ball into a park named [b]£275[/b]. I'm willing to wrap it up & post it anywhere in the whole wide world.

Edit - I should add that I'd prefer not to use PayPal if at all possible - this is simple, unreasoning prejudice on my part. A cheque or used notes in a greasy brown envelope would be best, and unfortunately I'm not looking for a trade, I desperately need cash towards a new car.

Over to you.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='617670' date='Oct 5 2009, 05:08 PM'][b]<snip>[/b] I'm really unsure about price for this - [b][size=3]however I'm going to break with the current BC fashion of expecting people to guess,[/size][/b] and boot my metaphorical price-ball into a park named [b]£275[/b]. I'm willing to wrap it up & post it anywhere in the whole wide world. [b]</snip>[/b][/quote]

[size=1]edit : my original pic didn't work on here so I changed it.[/size]

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Bassassin' post='619200' date='Oct 7 2009, 12:36 AM']Nut width is 42mm, don't know the weight but I'll experiment with the bathroom scales tomorrow! :)

J.[/quote]

Having done that, it's about 3.8kg / 8.4lbs. Although the scales read something different with every attempt - so consider that an approximation...

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='619998' date='Oct 7 2009, 09:41 PM']Hi Desh - I'm in Edinburgh. Like I said, more than happy to box it up & post though.

J.[/quote]

Owdo,

I could throw 200 at you but I was really looking for something a little more black.

Cheers
D.

[quote name='desh' post='620533' date='Oct 8 2009, 01:33 PM']Owdo,

I could throw 200 at you but I was really looking for something a little more black.

Cheers
D.[/quote]
Sorry mate, it'd have to be a wee bit more "sensible" than that! :)

Ta anyway,

J.