Why become a member? ×

The non-graphite collection grows...

OutToPlayJazz

ACG Harlot R-Type 5-string - The quality of this bass is just amazing & the range of tones available from the filter preamp just astounding!

Fender 09 American Standard Jazz - This was about the tenth new Jazz I tried and it fitted perfectly. Usually played through a Sadowsky outboard preamp.

G&L L2000 Tribute - Picked this up from GreeneKing yesterday. In as-new condition. A real MM killer!

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision - Basically a nice lake placid blue 54 P copy. Again, through the Sadowsky preamp this sounds huge!

Thanks guys - I'm very very impressed with the ACG so far. It's not only stunning to look at, but sounds fantastic & highly ergonomic to play.

Peter, that American Vintage Precision has my name on it, you know that...?! :)

Nick, you were right on the 54 P. It's very very good for the money. Played through the Sadowsky pre it's just pure bass shove. Hearts will stop on the front row - MWHAHAHA!!!

can i ask what the differences between all the jazzes you tried were? I'm just having trouble imagining that they're all really that different... i dunno, i'm not a fender man. (though i'm kind of assuming you just tried american standard jazzes, unless you meant different models?)

Edited by budget bassist

No, the Jazzes were all American Standards. The differences were weight, sound quality, neck feel, neck finish & overall finish. Some still come through with serious glitches in the finish, such as two inch square rough patches where the gloss lacquer has somehow been missed...

But as I said in other posts, hand pick yourself a good one & they're fantastic.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='617087' date='Oct 5 2009, 08:06 AM']No, the Jazzes were all American Standards. The differences were weight, sound quality, neck feel, neck finish & overall finish. Some still come through with serious glitches in the finish, such as two inch square rough patches where the gloss lacquer has somehow been missed...

But as I said in other posts, hand pick yourself a good one & they're fantastic.[/quote]
Fair enough, true for any bass really. I've only ever had one experience with fender really, was a reggie hamilton jazz. Very nice bass, if i was ever to go fender again, it would be one of those, but it just lacked the balls i wanted in a bass. It is rather worrying that all those american standards had such discrepancies in the fit and finish though! Though i never have really been one to be that bothered about weight (i actually dislike basses that are too light).

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='simon1964' post='618005' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:55 PM']That ACG is stunning! What are the top and fingerboard woods?[/quote]

The top is santos rosewood, followed by a 5mm zebrano accent & the back is American black walnut.

The neck is a 7-piece, consisting of mac ebony, bublinga, maple and wenge.

The fingerboard is acrylic impregnated zebrano.

[quote]That's a nice ACG. Does it have the asymmetrical neck? I love the neck on my 6.[/quote]

Yes, it feels very ergonomically correct, even though it's technically lop sided, LOL! :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='BassBus' post='617587' date='Oct 5 2009, 04:04 PM']:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Like you don't have enough already! :)[/quote]

When I finally kick me clogs the basses are to be piled up, my cold body held atop said pile in its custom flight case and thus the pyre will be complete!!! Bring on the fire!

Rich - how is the neck on your 54 - mine is slightly chunky but still comfortable to play!

Nick (now official dep for Mike Berry and the Outlaws!)

Hey Brother Nick!

Yes, I find the 54 chunky and almost oblong in profile, but strangely good to play. Not like a regular style Precision necks which usually give me hand ache with my double bass-based left hand technique.

I like the funeral pyre idea. I can actually see you writing that into your will as well, LOL!

Prob is going to be finding a field big enough for the pyre! I'm definitely going to have a flightcase style coffin though!!! Bit macabre but you do have to prepare for the inevitable!

I used my first series JV Squier (Fender) Precision bass for the Mike Berry gig - loved it! PA system was huge - big Martin rig with three 2 x 18 bass bins and array style top units each side - talk about bottom end!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='618052' date='Oct 5 2009, 10:30 PM']The top is santos rosewood, followed by a 5mm zebrano accent & the back is American black walnut.

The neck is a 7-piece, consisting of mac ebony, bublinga, maple and wenge.

The fingerboard is acrylic impregnated zebrano.[/quote]
The bubinga in the neck looks great, the darkness of the ebony and wenge really brings out the red :)

• 3 weeks later...