Why become a member? ×

SE Bass Bash

BigBeatNut

... anyone here planning on going ?

I'm thinking about taking my BSX Allegro (EUB) if there's any interest.

Do you think there's there any chance I could get to play an upright strung with gut or fake-gut (e.g. weedwacker) strings while I'm there ?

Andy

(Ah, just checked, and I noticed two double basses on the gear list :) )

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='616313' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:41 AM']... anyone here planning on going ?

I'm thinking about taking my BSX Allegro (EUB) if there's any interest.

Do you think there's there any chance I could get to play an upright strung with gut or fake-gut (e.g. weedwacker) strings while I'm there ?

Andy

(Ah, just checked, and I noticed two double basses on the gear list :) )[/quote]

I'm taking one of mine so anyone can have a go but it'll have Spiro Mittels on it.

I got basses strung with all gut, gut mixed with Innovation Silverslap nylons, all Innovation, and an EUB with Innovation black flatwound nylon.

I got whackers on the shelf too. They're on the shelf for a reason...

I'm in Ealing - happy to let fellow bassist in for half an hour to check out strings one weekend.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='618871' date='Oct 6 2009, 06:38 PM']Do tell ....[/quote]

In my humble, and probably slightly snobbish opinion, they're a piece of sh*t.

Many people disagree, people who's opinion I respect, and I admit to having heard their basses amplified sounding pretty bloody good ('gut' like). Listen to all the fantastic youtube clips of Romany gypsys playing whackers too ... no complaints there. For an authentic rockabilly / roots sound, they give a good approximation of plain gut (with all the limitations of gut, but not quite the fullness of tone). You have to accept that the E, and to a large extent the A are almost useless except for percussive slapping (even worse than plain gut E and A are).
But (acoustically at least) they sound flat and artificial to my ear, where gut don't. Maybe it's psychological.

They are a DREAM to play for slapping, so easy it takes no effort at all, meaning you can have (in fact NEED) very high string height. That partly helps compensate for the very low volume.. but not enough for me.

When I've put them on a bass, I just hear how much of the tone disappears in one go ... and I can't bring myself to stick with it, despite the playability (and price). Lots of the tone goes when you put on guts too, but what's left at least feels real and rich for acoustic playing (ie recording). Whackers are such low tension, and such low volume, you lose any semblance of acoustic sustain and projection, any of the sound of the bass itself ... it feels to me like while the string is sounding, the bass is silent, you may as well play an EUB. Whackers don't have the energy to make that big wooden box do what it's designed to do.

I have to admit, part of it at least is just snobbery. I have a lovely vintage bass. (Well... 3 actually...). Everything about it is evocative, I find the whole thing slightly romantic. I enjoy playing with bright modern steels when they bring out the full richness of the bass... and I enjoy nylons that make a fantastic no-compromise slapping sound ... and guts because they look, feel and sound like the real deal (although E and A don't really cut it).

But plastic strimmer wire? That leaves your amazing wooden box practically dead... Even if it does amplify perfectly well I aion't having it.

Did I make my point? :) Over at rockabillybass.com (sorry ... sex change, 'From now on I want to be known as Doublebasschat.com') I'd get three dozen perfectly respectable counter arguments. But for a moment at least I'll get my point heard over here!

I've managed to stuff two double basses in my motor. I'll take my Upton Professor, which is a largish three quarter and sounds quite bright and steely. Also my new Thomas Martin which is a bit of an opposite - a smallish three quarter and sounds a bit gutty, although both of them have identical strings; Spiro Mittels. I won't have much room for much else so I'm taking an AI Clarus amp and a 10" Wizzy speaker. I see I'm down for a Workshop. This is in order to get a bit of quiet time and to demo the basses. It is not my intention to give a lesson as such but to give as many as want to an introduction to the double bass and have a good go on it. No weedwackers though, I'm afraid.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='622383' date='Oct 10 2009, 12:39 PM']Off topic, but did you buy your Professor from Upton directly, Bassace? Every so often I fond myself on their site admiring them :)[/quote]

In short, yes. They are great people to deal with and will tailor their quote to exactly what you want. I ordered my Prof having specified a dark coffee colour, Spiro Mittels and bridge adjusters. On top of the Upton price flying it over will cost about $700. And then you will expect to pay a further 19% for VAT, duty and customs/handling charges this end. For example an Upton Standard Laminated bass, incl adjusters and a good soft cover at present exchange rates will be about £2,300 all up. You can work out any other bass from the Upton site.

You can either let Upton do everything so the bass in its freight case is delivered to your door, or as in my case, micromanage things a bit (I used to be an engineer and can't keep away from interfering). In that case I decided Birmingham Airport was convenient to my house and got in touch with the freight handling people there. I then told Upton to despatch the bass to Birmingham and when it arrived I was notified and went to collect it - all very exciting. All you have to do is take the bass out of the box (an electric screwdriver is very useful to open the box, which I left to the guys at the airport) and when you get the bass home take the dummy bridge off and set up the proper bridge exactly to the markers that Upton give you. Then play it.

[quote name='TPJ' post='623769' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:42 AM']+1
Them and [url="http://www.newstandardbass.com/cleveland.htm"]these guys too[/url][/quote]
Wow I'm surprised by how much I like the look and sound of those fellas. The Yanks do 'building stuff' very well, and what it might lack in finesse it will make up for in spades in all round functionality. I'd really like to have a try of one of those.

When I was looking into getting a new bass I exchanged emails with Arnold and Wil who are New Standard. Really nice guys to deal with. Even their ply basses seem a bit expensive to bring over here but there's no denying the fine reputation they enjoy in US.

Incidentally Jake, I enjoyed your sig re Winston Churchill. It reminds me of his exchange with Bessie Braddock MP who said 'Mr Churchill, you're drunk!' to which he replied, 'and you, madam, are ugly, but in the morning I will be sober'.

Edited by bassace

• 2 weeks later...