Why become a member? ×

Finally back in a band...

Dubs

After about 18 months without a band I think I'm finally on the road to getting something sorted out. I had a jam with a band last night - I know the singer/current bass player from work - and it went really well. He only wants to sing live so they got me in with the possibility of taking over on bass to make the 3 piece line-up a 4 piece. I'm learning their songs for a practise next week with the intention of being ready for a gig on the 18th. It's the best music news I've had in ages and the band sound great; the drummer is class and I'm really excited about future possibilities.

Check them out - [url="http://www.myspace.com/switchtransmission"]http://www.myspace.com/switchtransmission[/url]

Congrats on the new band, they look and sound great.

Same situation with me too. Not done anything since well before Christmas after the last band imploded spectacularly. Since then, I've dabbled with the idea of getting back into it but the reality of family life and work has taken a justifably bigger priority over "living the dream".

To be honest, whilst it was odd for the first couple of months not regularly gigging or rehearsing, I've not missed it as much as I thought. It's actually been a chance to re-evaluate what I want from music, bass playing and being in a band and the more auditions I've had, the more I realise what I REALLY want from a band. Probably in the past I would have gone with the flow and joined the first thing that came along but I've been much more picky this time.

Following on from this, I auditioned for a covers band over the weekend and I'm now back in the saddle so to speak. Nice blokes, good musicians, no egos/BS, reasonable set list and gigs coming up.

I never thought I'd say it but I'm getting mildly excited about playing bass in a band again! :)

T

Edited by tonyf

Congrats!

In the same sort of position, band collapsed a few months ago and i went through the usual for me which was selling my amp and trimming the gear. About a week ago I put an advert up on a website and I had my first jam with the band on wednesday with another tonight. Seems good so far and nice to be playing with some nice people.

Just to add a cherry to the top I just had another email today from another band looking for someone to join a covers band (the other is originals) so I may potentially be in two bands after being in none....bit like busses, never one when you need one and then two come along.

It was nice having a break though, really made me hungry to play again, so much so i resorted to adverts which i have never done before.

[quote name='tonyf' post='614764' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:25 PM']Congrats on the new band, they look and sound great.

Same situation with me too. Not done anything since well before Christmas after the last band imploded spectacularly. Since then, I've dabbled with the idea of getting back into it but the reality of family life and work has taken a justifably bigger priority over "living the dream".

To be honest, whilst it was odd for the first couple of months not regularly gigging or rehearsing, I've not missed it as much as I thought. It's actually been a chance to re-evaluate what I want from music, bass playing and being in a band and the more auditions I've had, the more I realise what I REALLY want from a band. Probably in the past I would have gone with the flow and joined the first thing that came along but I've been much more picky this time.

Following on from this, I auditioned for a covers band over the weekend and I'm now back in the saddle so to speak. Nice blokes, good musicians, no egos/BS, reasonable set list and gigs coming up.

I never thought I'd say it but I'm getting mildly excited about playing bass in a band again! :)

T[/quote]

Good news Tony. Yeah I know what you mean about not settling for the first thing that came along - I've had a few jams with bands that just didn't feel 'right', but this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Good luck with the covers mate :rolleyes:

[quote name='NJE' post='614787' date='Oct 2 2009, 01:39 PM']It was nice having a break though, really made me hungry to play again, so much so i resorted to adverts which i have never done before.[/quote]

:) yeah that was exactly the same for me. I've never put adverts up before but I used a local forum and a couple of the "find me a band" type websites. They turned up a few things but nothing that really came to much, then by coincidence I was browsing BC whilst at work and Dave (singer) looked over my shoulder and said "are you a bass player?"...