Why become a member? ×

what wattage will suffice

munkonthehill

Hola all,

I have been on gathering info on impedence due to getting a new 200watt amp as I was going to buy an extention cab, as it turns out I cant do this as it will end up losing output, im now trying to determine if 200watts will be enough.

Its a hughes and Kettner BK200, 200watt with a 15"driver, i usually play to 50-100 people.

what are you playing through and how does it handle?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='614311' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:36 PM']im in a trio, playing rock/blues joe bonamassa, cream, black crowes, led zep even britney spears[/quote]

I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than about 250W and 3 or 4 speakers for that kind of music.

Sounds like a cool band btw - got any links?

From recent experience, I think it's all about how many speakers you have. I've had a 1k head, 1k power amp, 500 watt LH500 all with 4x10s or 1x15s and non of them are as loud as the (say it quietly) Laney RB9 head (300watt @ 4ohm) i've been using while I find a decent power amp into my Genz Benz 6x10. It sounds massive and with my Sansamp at the front, sounds great too...Just my experience, but get a decent cab with loads of speakers in it!

I'll find out in a couple of weeks when I play my first pub gig with the Trace V-Type 1x15" and 2103H cab

The amp is 'only' 250w - my previous setup was a Genz Shuttle 6.0 (600w) & Schroeder 1212L (800w)

I'm actually looking forward to this as my amps have been getting progressively lighter and more powerful over the years - It'll be good to go back to something heavy with less power and more grunt

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='614194' date='Oct 1 2009, 08:17 PM']Hola all,

I have been on gathering info on impedence due to getting a new 200watt amp as I was going to buy an extention cab, as it turns out I cant do this as it will end up losing output, im now trying to determine if 200watts will be enough.

Its a hughes and Kettner BK200, 200watt with a 15"driver, i usually play to 50-100 people.

what are you playing through and how does it handle?[/quote]

Can you explain why adding an extension cab will reduce output? Most extension cabs will do the opposite when hooked up to an amp. Apologies if I misundertood your post.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='614492' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:43 AM']It's a series wired extension so adding it will reduce the power output but will INCREASE the actual max dB SPL. Not by as much as with a parallel wired extension unless the internal speaker is particularly feeble.

You don't hear electrical watts, you hear Sound Pressure Level.

Alex[/quote]

Ah - I'd never come across cabs linked that way before.

FWIW I have a 300watt amp putting out 180w into an 8ohm speaker and 307w into 2 x 8ohm speakers. The latter set-up has been loud enough for large clubs and outdoor rallies/festivals, with decent PA support.

200W all valve into 2 4x10s masses of headroom and clean tone playing in a five peice band with a fairly loud drummer who is always mic'd through the PA

(I don't go through the PA anymore)

I have to admit this is the first time in 3 years that I am completely happy with my tone / power... in fact I would go as far as GAS free

[quote name='alexclaber' post='614482' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:21 AM']The more cone area you have, the larger the enclosures and the more midrangey and/or overdriven your sound, the fewer watts you will need. Look at Lemmy's rig - 4x12"+4x15" plus a mere 200W valve head - and Lemmy LOUD.

Alex[/quote]

Wouldn't he be miked up through a large PA though?