Why become a member? ×

What kind of amp will let my jazz sound like, erm, a jazz?

HarryPotter

Basically I have an Ashdown ABM Evo III 2X10 Combo as my gigging amp, and don't get me wrong I don't dislike it, I like it a lot, but I utterly love my Marcus Miller IV.

Used together the Jazz just doesn't sound like, erm, well a Jazz (it does through a cheap effect unit etc.).

This isn't an impending gas attack as it is something that will need to happen over a period of time but what kind of amps would you recommend I shortlist that won't colour the tones of my Jazz too much?

Im looking for a rig that is portable, can keep up with a fairly quiet rocky blues band without going through the PA and that's about it.

I'm not a brand Nazi so I'll try anything and let my ears decide.

I know I should get out and try stuff but shops are a bit thin on the ground these days.

[quote name='Josh' post='612491' date='Sep 29 2009, 09:23 PM']I'd say have a look into some Gallien Krueger gear, for me I find them the best for controlling and maintaining that classic Jazz growl on any Jazz. Quite a few GK combo's pop up on here at times.[/quote]

I agree with josh here. GK are great at reproducing the natural growl of a jazz - If that is indeed how you hear a jazz!

Sorry to disagree...but whenever I use GK I hear GK preamp midscoopyuck (growl or howl..depending on taste!?). My suggestions would be SWR (but don't use more than a quarter turn of the enhance control) or Euphonic Audio. Also the older Trace Elliot (GP11 preamp) is very good provided you are gentle with the graphic eq settings and don't use the pre-shape switch.

It's probably the speakers in the Ashdown that are getting in the way of the jazz sound - I'll be frequency analysing lots of heads at the forthcoming bass bash to find out what they all do and I bet the Ashdown head can be tweaked into near flatness whilst the woofers they use tend to be a very different kettle of fish.

From the scopes I've seen of GK amps (which correlates with what I've heard) they're pretty flat through the mids (not scooped like SWR) but have a rising response in the treble and a roll-off on the bottom, which gives the characteristic bright, growly, tight tone.

Alex

Markbass F500 into a Berg ae410

Growlosaurus baby :)

More to the point these amps dont add too much of their own spin on your tone, and the cab is very punchy and will really allow you jazz bass' natural growly tone to come through...

Edited by 51m0n

There, proved wrong by science (well, Alex) again. I've always considered SWR to be pretty faithful to the sound of the instrument, provided you are careful with the eq and particularly the aural enhancer. Eden always seems a bit over cooked - too warm and soft, (but that might also be because mine was always overheating?) same with Ashdown. GK always sounds honky to me, even with "flat" eq (but I know there is no such setting on most gear).

Good point on the speakers - they seem to be on of the main variables, and they really do vary! When I started using EA cabs it was a shock at first - far more definition, and not always exactly flaterring.

[quote name='BassBod' post='612907' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:40 PM']There, proved wrong by science (well, Alex) again. I've always considered SWR to be pretty faithful to the sound of the instrument, provided you are careful with the eq and particularly the aural enhancer.[/quote]

I thought my SWR Grand Prix was pretty flat until I tested it and got quite a shock! With the EQ zeroed and aural enhancer off it was boosted in the lows and highs and scooped at 250Hz. By adding ~8dB of boost @ 250Hz on the semi-parametric the response was effectively flattened. The aural enhancer just added gain until ~10 o'clock with no change to the frequency response, but once you went past this point it started to cut yet more midrange centred @ 250Hz.

Alex

[quote name='secretsquirrel' post='613090' date='Sep 30 2009, 04:38 PM']As you're not far from him go and see Mark down @ Bass Direct and actually try some amps!

He's only about a hour or so down the M40 from you but prepare to bring your wallet as you'll find what you want...[/quote]

+1000 Mark is a diamond geezer, but he has a scary tactic of allowing you the time to fall in love with the sound of the gear he is selling before asking you whether you want it or not - my wallet actually starts to tremble at the thought of going within 75 miles of his shop now!

In all seriousness Mark's place is superb, and he totally knows his stuff, he'd be happy to help ypu find the right kit for your needs....