Why become a member? ×

I'm struggling with my new (to me) rig.

Les

Bit of advice if you please.

I've used a TE ah150 and TE 4 x 10 for a long time, and it's always been fine. But that was in club cabaret type bands with a drum machine, and a very controlled on stage sound.

Now in a pop/rock band with a drummer, who is great but loud. Bought LittleAl's compact 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 to use with the amp.
I'm struggling to hear myself as well as I'd like.

Though using 2 cabs would get the most out of the amp plus they're easier to carry than the 4 x 10.

It's not killing the bands sound as the PA takes the brunt of it, but it's annoying me.

Do I just need a bigger amp ? I'm suspecting this but thought I'd get some opinions first.

Cheers

Les

Volume here isn't the be-all and end-all...EQ is..

You might need to dial a mid frequency in to cut through easier... but be careful as too much mid can be spiteful...

Also, it isn't on for drummers to be loud in inappropriate settings..they need to dial it down as much as guitars do, in some cases.

Having said all that.. 150 watts might be a bit too low for a full-on band..

It would be interesting to hear a drummers version of dynamics..

Thanks guys. Did eq it with more mid to cut through, and it did, but thats not really the sound I want.

Don't really want the drummer to play any quieter, he sounds good and that's the way he plays, just need to hear myself better.

Hi Les,

These were my cabs.
I gigged with them for about ten years and never had trouble hearing myself.
I only sold them because I had to get lighter cabs (bad back!).

I used them with a Trace 250smx and always had plenty of everything on tap.

As others have already said...
I think you need a bigger amp.

If you like the Trace sound, look out for one of the bigger SMX range. They have a built in compressor which can really help you cut through the mix.

Also,
Don't use the built in pre-shapes in the amp, they might sound good 'solo' but will get you lost in a band mix!
(They take out too much of the mids).

This happens a lot! You upgrade one part of your rig and it shows up the other part. It sounds like it's time to spend some money on an amp.

A modern amp rated 500 watt at 4 ohm amp / 300 watt at 8 ohm should get you a good tone from cabaret to rock with plenty of headroom. An LM2 might be a good place to start looking.

[quote name='chris_b' post='611690' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:17 AM']This happens a lot! You upgrade one part of your rig and it shows up the other part. It sounds like it's time to spend some money on an amp.

A modern amp rated 500 watt at 4 ohm amp / 300 watt at 8 ohm should get you a good tone from cabaret to rock with plenty of headroom. An LM2 might be a good place to start looking.[/quote]

I agree, but...

If you like the Trace sound, make sure you don't buy an amp that is too 'clean'.
(Don't ask me how I know this :) ).

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Mr T, very pleased with the cabs, I can get a great sound out of my rig but not at the volume I need in this band. Kinda thought it would be a power issue but just wanted some confirmation.

Chris, whats an LM2 ?

Not got any particular allegiance to brands, just had Trace stuff a long time and it's fine. Already talking to LittleAl about an 400 smx he's got.

I do quite like the look of the Hartke LH500. Fired an email off to them, but not heard back, to find out if the XLR direct out is pre or post eq. Don't really want what I do for monitoring to affect the signal I send to the PA cos' the bass sounds really good through the PA. Do any of you know about the direct out ?

Cheers

Les

[quote name='Les' post='611848' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:40 PM']I do quite like the look of the Hartke LH500. Fired an email off to them, but not heard back, to find out if the XLR direct out is pre or post eq. Don't really want what I do for monitoring to affect the signal I send to the PA cos' the bass sounds really good through the PA. Do any of you know about the direct out ?[/quote]

LH500 is a great amp. The XLR out is pre-EQ, pre-volume. You can read the manual [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1944&brandID=3"]here[/url].

S.P.

[quote name='nash' post='611921' date='Sep 29 2009, 01:22 PM']i'd use the 4x10 with the 2x10 if they're both 8ohms.[/quote]

They are but that's going to cause space issues in the van. Think a bigger amp is the way forward and the 4 x 10 and the Ah 150 will have to go to fund this.

Cheers

[quote name='Les' post='611848' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:40 PM']Already talking to LittleAl about an 400 smx he's got.[/quote]

If you liked your old '150', you will love a 400smx!

I have spend about 10 months getting my sound back after selling my Trace.
If you like the sound, and can deal with the weight and size... Stick with Trace.

p.s.
Glad you like the cabs, they were much loved by me.

Edited by Mr.T

Hello Les

I understand your problem completely. I have to say i messed about with diffrent cabs, ohm, placement etc. The bottom line is a 150 is just not loud enough. I would look for a 450 head and for me the cab that really does do what it says on the tin is the Ampeg SVT 410 HLF.

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/index.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410hlf/index.html[/url]

What is amazing is the 125db Sound pressure level it sends out, it really does push some air. easy to get around big wheels etc.

Have a great time trying all the options!!!

Cheers KP, I just haven't got that kind of money. That cabs £500 :)

Funnily enough I use an Ampeg 4 x 10 where we practice (old bass player left it there) and I don't think it's as good as the Trace 4 x 10, might be goosed though for all I know.