Why become a member? ×

AMP GAS!!

clauster

I've never been that excited about amps before - just something loud enough for rehearsals and small gigs and I'll go through the desk for bigger gigs and recording.

Until now.

Just spent the weekend recording a few tracks at a studio in Brighton and they have a 70s SVT with matching 8X10 cab. OH MY GOD!! Now I get it! That is how my bass should sound.

Downsides - size, weight, not exactly practical for someone who lives in a fifth floor flat.

Upside - That SOUND.

Maybe I need to try that new little SVT stack? Or the Tech21 VT Bass pedal with a high power lightweight rig?

Or move back to a country cottage so there's no neighbours to disturb.

I WANT A BIG SVT STACK AND I WANT IT [size=7]NOW[/size]

:)

[quote name='clauster' post='610284' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:03 PM']I've never been that excited about amps before - just something loud enough for rehearsals and small gigs and I'll go through the desk for bigger gigs and recording.

Until now.

Just spent the weekend recording a few tracks at a studio in Brighton and they have a 70s SVT with matching 8X10 cab. OH MY GOD!! Now I get it! That is how my bass should sound.

Downsides - size, weight, not exactly practical for someone who lives in a fifth floor flat.

Upside - That SOUND.

Maybe I need to try that new little SVT stack? Or the Tech21 VT Bass pedal with a high power lightweight rig?

Or move back to a country cottage so there's no neighbours to disturb.

I WANT A BIG SVT STACK AND I WANT IT [size=7]NOW[/size]

:)[/quote]
Haha, I love my SVT so I say move.

Edited by waynepunkdude

A move is on the cards for next year anyway - renting our current place while the property market is in a slump. I'll have to see if Mrs C will let me put a couple of grand aside for a VST VR and 8X10 aside :rolleyes:

I've just found out the little VST (Micro VR) is solid state :)

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='610644' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:45 AM']still sounds good though man! but is more of a practice amp/small gig amp

i would love an svt if one came up in a trade for my pro-6 i'd be tempted!

and 810's just rule!

andy[/quote]

Might have to find one to try. Mostly it'll be for practise and small gigs and also now to mic for recording (and could always mic for a bit of grind through the PA at bigger gigs). Do wish I'd tried a couple of the BA series combos they had around at the studio - very affordable.

[quote name='clauster' post='610697' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:46 AM']Might have to find one to try. Mostly it'll be for practise and small gigs and also now to mic for recording (and could always mic for a bit of grind through the PA at bigger gigs). Do wish I'd tried a couple of the BA series combos they had around at the studio - very affordable.[/quote]

ive read some where that geezer butler used the micro stack for recording? it you run it at 4ohms with to of the 210's i reckon it be awesome, im eventually gonna get one for practice as i want to practice with something that sound similar to my big rig sound.

andy

[quote name='alexharvay' post='610761' date='Sep 28 2009, 12:46 PM']Which studio in Brighton?[/quote]

Brighton Electric on Lewes Road. They've got loads of 'okay' rehearsal rooms - decent size, nice backline but poor soundproofing and a great recording studio - Protools HD and or Otari 24 track all through a Neve desk. Lovely stuff. Oh, and a vintage 70s SVT stack which I want.

I guessed it was Electric. My band recorded there a few years age when they didn't have a 70s SVT. We also used to practice there but we thought the practice rooms were pretty poor. We would turn up and the guitar amp wouldn't be working, our drummer would spend 45 mins trying to get the kit sorted out and I won't even start on the bass amps. We haven't been back for a while so they may have sorted it out. Friendly staff though.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='610778' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:08 PM']ive read some where that geezer butler used the micro stack for recording? it you run it at 4ohms with to of the 210's i reckon it be awesome, im eventually gonna get one for practice as i want to practice with something that sound similar to my big rig sound.

andy[/quote]

Just read that on the Ampeg site too. One of the heads with 2 of the cabs stacked vertically would look fantastic I'm thinking :)

[quote name='alexharvay' post='610937' date='Sep 28 2009, 03:53 PM']I guessed it was Electric. My band recorded there a few years age when they didn't have a 70s SVT. We also used to practice there but we thought the practice rooms were pretty poor. We would turn up and the guitar amp wouldn't be working, our drummer would spend 45 mins trying to get the kit sorted out and I won't even start on the bass amps. We haven't been back for a while so they may have sorted it out. Friendly staff though.[/quote]

The bass amps in the rehearsal rooms are mostly Ampeg BA or Mark Bass combos now :) I couldn't believe how light those MBs are! Still don;t like the yellow bits though :rolleyes: