Why become a member? ×

AMP GAS!!

clauster

[quote name='clauster' post='612002' date='Sep 29 2009, 02:21 PM']Thinking realistically, an SVT3Pro and a 410 (but which one?) could be the way for me to go.[/quote]
I used to own an early 70's SVT and it did sound the B.....ks in fact better, usual thing I should have kept it. From the mid 70's they changed and kept on changing ( much like any other amp makers). Try any other newer Ampeg and ''that'' sound will be hard to get.

You have to use one of these things to understand why they've been the rig of choice world wide for 40 years. All other Ampeg cabs are ported so they won't get close to the 8x10 sound. The only sensible alternative seems to be the Bergantino NV series with the NV610 being the one to go for!

Unfortunately Ampeg have been messing around with the 8x10 for years. In my opinion the best ones were made in the 70's, only 300 watts but they were just right.

[quote name='nash' post='612407' date='Sep 29 2009, 08:07 PM']yea i think each 2x10 is isolated on the 8x10

the 6 and 4 are both ported[/quote]

The key difference between the 8x10" and the HLF cabs is the drivers - the latter have very little upper midrange, deep lows and high excursion. The original SVT drivers were guitar ones and they've changed quite a lot over the years but they're still much better at midrange punch and treble than the HLF drivers, but don't go as deep and rely on there being eight of them to handle enough power in the lows. The reason the HLFs are ported and the 8x10" is sealed is because that's what the different drivers need to perform well.

The 8x10" is subdivided into four 2x10"s but that doesn't affect the tone, it's just a cheap but heavy way of making the enclosure more rigid.

My bet is that the NV610 sounds closer to the early 8x10"s than any current Ampeg product.

Alex