Why become a member? ×

Beginner looking to buy first bass, appreciate views on a few models

Silverwolf

Hi, looking to get my first bass guitar and wondering whether the following would be suitable for a complete beginner. I've no experience of playing guitars, but did learn to play keyboards for a couple of years when I was a youngster! I think I would be better off getting a second hand guitar, and after looking at a few online sites, am tempted by either a Yamaha (RBX374 or RB270), Ibanez SR300, or Cort Action. Is it a bad idea to get an active as your first guitar, and would you avoid any of the guitars I've shortlisted - cheers :) ?

PS - did pop into two local Guitar stores but they only had one used bass each below £200

Edited by Silverwolf

Hi, the standard meat-and-potatoes bass is a Precision or Jazz and Squier do some fantastic, good value versions (eg Vintage Modified line). The For Sale section of BassChat usually has a selection of these at around £150-ish. Active or passive is personal choice - there are more tonal options with active but you also have to have batteries to hand etc and many (if not the majority) are perfectly happy with passive tones. In fact most of the world's best bass lines over the last ~50 years were recorded on passive basses. Would also suggest you get to a music store and try a few out. Good luck!

Edited by Clarky

have you tried searching the forum? there are a lot of threads from beginners comparing the yamaha and the ibanez!

personally i'd go for the ibanez, they're solid basses and are well built. they sound excellent, too! theyre light and have really fast necks, and you can get a huge range of sounds from them.

although to be honest, you want to get out there and go to every music shop you can get to, play everything within your price range - and definatly set a price range, otherwise you'll end up spending waaay more than you planned. maybe take a friend who knows about basses if you have one? stick to something with a brand on the headstock, and if theres anything at all youre not sure about ask here! then buy your favourite bass of the lot. if you're lucky, you'll know as soon as you pick up the bass which one is the right on for you, and that bass will be a keeper.

My First bass was an SR200 (loved it...Absolute great first bass....highly recommended) however my second bass was a Yammy RBX (775 so more similar to the RBX374 but with a couple of nicer finishes) I loved this Bass too!!
Great basses but personally I think I would edge towards the Ibanez...I feel you'll get a bit more bass for your buck.
Cort....only played a couple...not very impressed...deffinitly stick with one of the bigger commercial names for a beginner bass. But as the others say...get out there...see them in the flesh...get a friend to play them infront of you if you dont feel comfortable so that you can hear any tonal differences.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with either the Ibanez of the Yamaha

I know this won't sound helpful but I don't think it matters what you buy for your first bass cos whatever you buy, it'll help you make a more informed choice for your second. That said, you can't go far wrong with any Yammy or Fender or Ibanez or Peavey to start with.

I've found that most issues or dislikes I've had with basses don't rear their heads until you've been playing them for a while but if you do find you've made an error of judgement, it's pretty easy and painless to buy and sell stuff on here so the world's your lobster.

I would say as a complete beginner go for Used or the cheapest new bass you can find. But the main thing is to try before you buy, and get something that feels nice to play. My first bass when i was 15 or 16 was a Washburn XB-100, nice slim neck, quite light and a funky mettalic purple colour.

I would say that for an absolute beginner that basses like Squier are not absolutley necessary, don't buy a bass because of the name on the headstock, buy it because it feels good, sounds good to your ears and is in your price range.

I've been semi pro for almost 8 years now and i play a budget bass, my 5 string Westfield. I love it. True, i have made a couple of mods to it (pickups and tuners), but i bought a bass that when i tried it it felt and sounded good to me.

Just my 2c

Edited by Skywalker83

Any of these wouldn't be a bad choice tbh. Then it's up to you which one feels more at home. Active electronics are ok, even on cheap models nowadays. It's up to you in the end :) IIRC, the Ibanez can switch to passive if the battery dies or something.

Basically, Yamaha, Ibanez, Corts, Squiers, Peavey, but no no-name piece of crap (Stagg, Embassy, that sort of thing). You should probably go second hand to save money, and you can get a very decent bass for under £200 (got a K5 for £220).

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

hey there mate a good choice could be a squier p bass special has brilliant quality build, both p bass and j bass tones, and a lovely neck id love another one if i could get one....:)
or a peavey cirrus. There great basses thru neck active 3 band eq thru body stringing and fancy looks....

Second hand there dirt cheap.

Yeah but its up to you at the end of the day...

Hope this helps sir.
Xx

As said in prev posts, you can't really go wrong with Squire, Yamaha, Ibanez or Cort.

Personally I have an Ibanez SR300 as I wanted the slimmer neck because I have got what have been described as ' shovels for hands' i.e. not small, but large palms ( not very long fingers). My hands aren't really designed for playing stringed instruments so I went for something that made life easier. I am more than happy with it, my only gripe is the colour, it's red and I wanted the blue with maple neck, but I couldn't find one :)

[quote name='Silverwolf' post='610074' date='Sep 27 2009, 03:47 PM']Hi, looking to get my first bass guitar and wondering whether the following would be suitable for a complete beginner. I've no experience of playing guitars, but did learn to play keyboards for a couple of years when I was a youngster! I think I would be better off getting a second hand guitar, and after looking at a few online sites, am tempted by either a Yamaha (RBX374 or RB270), Ibanez SR300, or Cort Action. Is it a bad idea to get an active as your first guitar, and would you avoid any of the guitars I've shortlisted - cheers :) ?

PS - did pop into two local Guitar stores but they only had one used bass each below £200[/quote]

i am in that position as a newbie to lower priced models...
i have been looking at new and found the vintage and ibanez models quite nicely put together
yamaha have silly pickups on some models and i believe use their own hardware
also in fact do ibanez
a fender wannabe is the answer...so for my call its vintage

Edited by mrcrow

• 3 weeks later...

Again, thanks for the earlier advice. Ended up buying a used Yamaha BB604 in natural finish for a fair price, which I'm happy with, and fairly certain will last me for quite a few years. Had to give it a dust and also cleaned the frets and rosewod neck following the cleaning tips on here - used masking tape to protect the neck while cleaning the frets with a cloth dippsed in Brasso, and they're now nice and shiny.

I briefly owned an SR300 (which my brother now has) and it is a superb bass for £230. If you are after a bargain I would suggest this....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60856"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=60856[/url]

He has now listed it on eBay, but maybe he would end the auction (as there are no bids yet) and sell to you direct, to save ebay and Paypal fees.

The hard case is £70+ new, so this really is a bargain for a bass that would cost you £470 brand new (£540 with the case).

[quote name='Silverwolf' post='629080' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:50 PM']Again, thanks for the earlier advice. Ended up buying a used Yamaha BB604 in natural finish for a fair price, which I'm happy with, and fairly certain will last me for quite a few years. Had to give it a dust and also cleaned the frets and rosewod neck following the cleaning tips on here - used masking tape to protect the neck while cleaning the frets with a cloth dippsed in Brasso, and they're now nice and shiny.[/quote]

Good choice, and a bass that you ought to be able to conect with. It will also be easy enough to set up to play well, so if you need to adjust stuff dont be afraid to ask!