Why become a member? ×

Hi-Beams or Lo-Riders

misrule

Hi, folks --

I'm looking to replace my DR Sunbeams with something a little brighter. I understand that Lo-Riders are tighter versions of Hi-Beams, useful for slap and accurate harmonics.

I'm not really into slap but I wouldn't mind tighter strings because I hit them rather hard at times -- and the E especially tends to flop about.

Has anybody used both? Can you tell me how different the Lo-Riders are? Would they be suitable for a rock plodder like me? :)

Normally, I'd just buy two packs and try them. But at £40 a shot ...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='BassManKev' post='65263' date='Sep 25 2007, 12:13 PM']i find lo riders to snap very very easily

they are the only strings iv ever broke the E string on...[/quote]
Hmm, thanks for that. I pretty much only play with a pick and usually give the E a good hammering. I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers

Mark

£40?! Go here: [url="http://www.stringthis.com/drbassstrings1.html"]http://www.stringthis.com/drbassstrings1.html[/url]

I've been using Bootzillas for a few years which are basically coated Lo-Riders - I much prefer the extra stiffness compared to Hi-Beams. I've kept each set on for over a year, I don't have the lightest touch and all my playing time is on that one bass, and I've never broken a string.

Another good choice if you like tighter strings are LaBella's Deep Talkin' Bass roundwounds, in 44-110 balanced gauges. I used them for a few years with great success. The heavier E really stands up to some abuse without fret rattle! The Bootzillas have a bit more growl and a bit less thickness and are less balanced in feel but more balanced in tone. I wish all E strings felt like the LaBella's!

Alex

I have used Lo-Riders, 45 - 125, for more than 5 years and I think they are great.

I have a high action on my US Lakland 5 string because I "dig in". I also string the bass through the body, which puts the strings through a 90 degree turn on the bridge, and I haven't broken a string yet (ever!).

Thanks, guys.

Alex -- thanks for the link. I realise I can get them cheaper from the States but I need to get some within the next few days. I'll probably buy from Germany. And I don't want to be messing with buying two sets of everything.

It looks like Lo-Riders might be worth a try.

Cheers

Mark

Try this place, very nearly half the UK price and you should get them within a few days, I tend to buy a couple of sets at a time to save on postage.

[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/51/products_id/3285?osCsid=52557f64e37374066de9fda121756b18"]http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info...de9fda121756b18[/url]

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='65648' date='Sep 26 2007, 12:04 AM']Try this place, very nearly half the UK price and you should get them within a few days, I tend to buy a couple of sets at a time to save on postage.

[url="http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/51/products_id/3285?osCsid=52557f64e37374066de9fda121756b18"]http://saitenkatalog.de/shop1/product_info...de9fda121756b18[/url][/quote]
Thanks, 6string. That's exactly where I was going.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='65676' date='Sep 26 2007, 07:48 AM']:huh: Thanks, obbm. I take it you like them, then?

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

It was very late when I wrote that. :)

The DJ5 has Stainless Lo-Riders whereas the DJ4 has Nickels. I'm really happy with the tension on both but find the Stainless are a bit growlier so I will put Stainless on the DJ4 as well next change.

[quote name='obbm' post='65693' date='Sep 26 2007, 08:46 AM']It was very late when I wrote that. :)

The DJ5 has Stainless Lo-Riders whereas the DJ4 has Nickels. I'm really happy with the tension on both but find the Stainless are a bit growlier so I will put Stainless on the DJ4 as well next change.[/quote]
Thanks again. Growly is good -- so I'll go for stainless.

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='misrule' post='65703' date='Sep 26 2007, 09:14 AM']Thanks again. Growly is good -- so I'll go for stainless.

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Be careful because stainless is also bright of course. I've found that the combination of Lo-Rider Stainess, J-Retro, maple neck and Aero pick-ups seems to work rather well. Like all things it's a matter of experimentation until you find a combination that works for you. Problem with the cost of bass strings is that it tends to get a bit expensive.

[quote name='obbm' post='65742' date='Sep 26 2007, 10:36 AM']Be careful because stainless is also bright of course. I've found that the combination of Lo-Rider Stainess, J-Retro, maple neck and Aero pick-ups seems to work rather well. Like all things it's a matter of experimentation until you find a combination that works for you. Problem with the cost of bass strings is that it tends to get a bit expensive.[/quote]
Bright is also good. Mine will be Lo-Riders, maple neck and Nordstrands. Sunbeams sound pretty good but something just a touch brighter would be perfect.

I'll let you know how it goes ...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='67704' date='Sep 30 2007, 03:53 PM']Don't rule out FatBeams!

They're good (but quite soft feeling- due to the round core)

If they're good enough for Marcus Miller, they're good enough for me... (45,65,80,100)[/quote]
Thanks, Lfalex. But two packs of Lo-Riders are in the air over Germany. :)

Cheers

Mark

• 8 months later...

Just done me first gig with DR Lo Riders (been on a week or 2 with just home practice) - fantastic sound and all the other things DR say. Except they are now dead as a dodo. Got 'em for £18 from the US ebay (though I waited a month for them), but doubt I'll use 'em again.

I do sweat like a bastard on stage, but one gig? They were cleaned after like I normally do and every other make of string I've used gets a few gigs out of them. I'll email DR to see if they were duffers, but until then, it's back to the cheapies!