Why become a member? ×

BFM omni10.5s

nedsbeds

The omni will sound huge in comparison to your 4x8 you literaly just get so much more from them.

I was a great fan of my old 4x8 ashdown when it was paired with its 1x15 brother on their own I never thought they quite cut it but they did sound lovely together. Then I moved to the markbass which I thought did the same job as two cabs on its own. I recently spent a day at thumpers house playing a variety of the omni cabs. 10.5, 10.5 crossfire, and normal omni10. Initialy I thought they sounded abit harsh and mid heavey but after playing through them for an hour or so then going back to my markbass it just sounded very dull incomparison because you get all the mids with the treble and the bass not scooped at all. I should be placing an order for two and Im going to attempt to make one myself as well. Id say Id make them all my self but having a place to store bits and peices and being in my 3rd year of uni and 27hours time tabled a week I think it may just fall flat on its face.

neds cabs look stunning I really like the front grill makes the cab look alot more normal incomparison to the horn approch you get with the standard way they are finished lovely touch.

[quote name='Bernmeister' post='59904' date='Sep 13 2007, 02:59 PM']Hi Nick
Congrats on a grand job you have made on these cabs, if i hadn't seen this build diary
i would have sworn that was proffessionally made speaker cabs on your final pics.

Hopefully when the next midlands bass bash is arranged which was in the worcs/ hereford area,
you could hopefully attend & bring your rig.

I'm sure we love to hear these in action :huh: .[/quote]

That would be cool. I shall keep an eye out for one.

[quote name='BeLow' post='64580' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:58 AM']The grill cover at the front certainly does make them look a bit different to others I have seen. I am supposed to be building an Omni 10.5 really must get on with it as I have all the bits. Neds build certainly looks very neat - well done mate.[/quote]
I love the grills too :) It would be nice if I had a more elegant solution to mounting them. Maybe I will look at putting speaker foam behind the grill. That would look ace!
and Yes, you should get on with it :huh:

[quote name='Sugden' post='64584' date='Sep 24 2007, 01:28 AM']neds cabs look stunning I really like the front grill makes the cab look alot more normal incomparison to the horn approch you get with the standard way they are finished lovely touch.[/quote]
Why thank you hehe.

Cheers for the comments guys.
I was actually playing guitar through it last night (I have fancied learning for ages) and it sounds great with that too. need to find a small distortion pedal though really.

thanks Ned/Nick

The grill really finishes the job well - be interested in how much it adds to the weight though.

[url="http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+1000528&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=grill&Ntx="]CPC
[/url] sell grill sheets of various sizes, as well as a lot of cabinet hardware - shipping is free if you spend over (IIRC) £40, so could be a useful supplier. Not sure whether the sizes they sell suit the required gap, though.

Note that CPC also sell Eminence drivers, but they're usually more expensive than Blue Aran even when CPC's free shipping is taken into account.

When I ordered my drivers, I fudged it by ordering one from blue aran and one from cpc. This pushed the cpc order over the free delivery limit but I still got one at the cheaper price. Only saved me a few quid but I was happy hehe.
The only thing with the cpc grill is that is not very nice to look at!
The suppliers I used were cpc, blue aran, screwfix and a local diy place called handyman's house :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='58909' date='Sep 11 2007, 07:24 PM']Yeah, great idea if someone is looking for cabs with a bad attitude.[/quote]

Nedsbeds, sorry to hijack your thread, but really the above remark is a bit uncalled for. Not only that, deleting the man's post and account when he tried to defend himself is, well pretty shabby.

As a bassworld founder member I've always admired the way the forum is run and moderated so it is disappointing to see this kind of thing starting to creep in.

[quote name='chris_b' post='65718' date='Sep 26 2007, 09:59 AM']These look good. I would make the grill go over the tweeters as well. Maybe that would improve the fixing positions.

How much does the cab weigh? Can you get Speakon plug panels with two sockets, for daisy chaining multiple cabs?[/quote]

I don't think grill over tweeters is the best idea. High frequencies are more affected by grills (bouncing back off the grill), lower frequencies manage to propagate around them more easily.
I think it was AlexClaber that asked Bill about it and he got a very good answer that explained properly, but I can't find the particular thread right now. shall keep looking though.

And yes you can get double panels. I just never saw myself needing to daisy chain them. I put those clever combination speakon/jack plugs in the cabs though so if I don't have a speakon cable i'm not stuck :)

[quote name='wildman' post='66057' date='Sep 26 2007, 06:59 PM']Nedsbeds, sorry to hijack your thread, but really the above remark is a bit uncalled for. Not only that, deleting the man's post and account when he tried to defend himself is, well pretty shabby.

As a bassworld founder member I've always admired the way the forum is run and moderated so it is disappointing to see this kind of thing starting to creep in.[/quote]

+1, I thought the mods were ment to set an example?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='49397' date='Aug 23 2007, 11:00 AM ']The mods should be setting an example to others in their own conduct.[/quote]

Different rules for different people, I guess.

[quote name='chris_b' post='66417' date='Sep 27 2007, 01:13 PM']Calling all Omni 10 and Omni 10.5 users:

If the sound of these cabs is improved and they sound bigger, louder etc, have you had to change your amplification to go with the new sound? What amps (SS, Valve, big, small) do you find work best?[/quote]

Hi, you dont have to change your amp with these cabs. These cabs are very efficient which means they make the best of any amp. Your normal cabs are usually very inefficient (a oblong box(MDF?) with a port and cheap speaker) but we have got used to buying crummy cabs and we have also got used to average sound.
I have a DR250 and Tuba24 both voiced for bass guitar (no tweeters on DR and reverse mounted beta 10 on the Tuba).
Like I have said before I would take the pepsi challenge against a Ampeq and 8x10 using my Warwick tranny and some overdrive.
Afair few BFM users have Mark Bass amps. Compact amps for compact cabs. If I could build more cabs I would build the 010.5 or o10 because of the small size and weight.

I vote for Thumper.

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='69937' date='Oct 5 2007, 10:54 AM']I didn't realise we were voting anything....

A blind test would be pretty interesting. Putting it against an Ampeg 810 is a pretty bold statement but it would be nice to see what the outcome would be.

G[/quote]

Of course I am clueless and just making a brash statement in my abouve quote,but, anything that gets people thinking about why they are buying mass produced average to bad cabs is good by me.
BFM thinks the T39 will outgun a 8x10, visit the site for his charts and view point. Mind you a pair of half decent P.A speakers will beat a 8x10 for output. Will not look cool though.

[quote name='nedsbeds' post='46999' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:07 PM']Hi bassbunny,

I really like the grill too!

The handles are from blue aran [url="http://bluearan.co.uk/menu/index.php?id=JAM34062&product=Plastic_Bar_Handle!comma!_round_cutout&browsemode=category"]http://bluearan.co.uk/menu/index.php?id=JA...semode=category[/url].
They are plastic so they are nice and light, but once screwed in (I used a piece of wood behind the handle part to double the thickness and strengthen everything up) it is extremely strong.
They aren't too deep either and fit very snugly so making them airtight isn't a problem.
which cabs are you building?

Nick[/quote]
Hi Nick,
I think it is likely to be a couple of 10.5 Crossfires. I have been trying to get around to building for ages. Even Plan B failed, (get Thumper to build them for me), as every time I have planned to drop in on him, something has happened. Was going to meet up with Sug at Thumpers a few weeks back and it all went "pear shaped".
I really would like to do them myself as i have the time and reckon i would feel good having accomplished something for a change.
Migh give it a crack as the worst I can do is write off a sheet of ply.....