Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bon Jovi's Lost Highway concert.

dave_bass5

Right, first off, yeah, i like em and im not embarrassed to say so ;-)

Just watched the Lost highway concert DVD and im blown away by the tone and playing of Hugh McDonald.
I know the story about him and BJ etc and ive seen him twice with BJ but this gig has the bass quite high in the mix and he is playing a lot of notes but its so clear and tight.
Makes me want to get my P5 out again.

Ive had a few drinks but im really moved by this gig.

Go on, lets have it ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

Hugh is a great bass player, no doubt about that.

I think he usually plays Sadowsky's but recently he's been advertising the new [url="http://www.carvinworld.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sb5000"]Carvin SB5000.[/url]

This is from Carvin's e-mail update

[b]Bon Jovi Rocks With Carvin [/b]

Hugh McDonald, noted session bassist and unofficial 5th member of multi-platinum New Jersey rockers Bon Jovi, recently took delivery of his new Carvin SB5000 5-string bass. Hugh has been playing with Bon Jovi since the mid-1990s, and also played on the band's first demo of their breakout hit "Runaway" in 1982. He has also played with such prominent artists as Willie Nelson, Lita Ford, Ringo Star, Cher and Alice Cooper.

Hugh reports he is "smitten" with his SB5000, and plans on adding a fretless model to his arsenal in the near future.

The new SB5000 is based on the 4-string SB4000 designed in conjunction with bassist Sekou Bunch. The SB5000 is constructed using an alder body with a bolt-on maple neck that features Carvin's newly-designed cutaway neck heel for easy playability high on the fingerboard. Other features include an ebony fingerboard with medium-jumbo frets, newly-designed SB headstock, new locking bridge and hundreds of wood and finish options. Electronics are active with Carvin's new Alnico J99A pickups.

Nice, thanks.

He is playing a P in the video, it doe look like a Sadowsky but there are no close ups of him. I know why the boys wont admit he has replaced Alex but after all this time i think Hugh deserves a bit more camera time in the band.

The low notes he plays are so solid, its really nice to hear a P sound like that.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='607384' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:50 AM']....I know why the boys wont admit he has replaced Alex but after all this time i think Hugh deserves a bit more camera time in the band....[/quote]
But Hugh McDonald isn't part of the band. They've kept him on salary all this time! There are many examples, like REM's drummer and Ronnie Wood, over 20 years before they let him join! On the last gig that the Stones played at the O2 Daryl Jones didn't get any close ups on the big screens at all!

[quote name='chris_b' post='607403' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:18 AM']But Hugh McDonald isn't part of the band. They've kept him on salary all this time! There are many examples, like REM's drummer and Ronnie Wood, over 20 years before they let him join! On the last gig that the Stones played at the O2 Daryl Jones didn't get any close ups on the big screens at all![/quote]

Yeah i know. Its to do with Jon saying they will never officially replace Alex. something to do with the New Jersey code.
But he has been playing with them for the past 15 years i think, more so if you count the studio stuff.

All im saying is it wont hurt to get him in shot a bit more during the gigs.

i was watching Shine a light at the weekend and i felt the backing singers got more close ups than Darryl Jone. How made is that? None of them are officially in the band and its not like its a secret that Bill isn't there.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='607414' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:28 AM']....i was watching Shine a light at the weekend and i felt the backing singers got more close ups than Darryl Jone....[/quote]
It's a complicated world of power, egos and money. Roger Walters also did it. He would only let Nick Mason back into Floyd on wages!! At the O2, the singers, keyboard player and Bobby Keys, on sax, all got spot light time...... but DJ didn't! He must of upset someone!

[quote name='chris_b' post='607430' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:40 AM']It's a complicated world of power, egos and money. Roger Walters also did it. He would only let Nick Mason back into Floyd on wages!! At the O2, the singers, keyboard player and Bobby Keys, on sax, all got spot light time...... but DJ didn't! He must of upset someone![/quote]

I didnt know about Nick Mason. Bloody singers and their egos and greed ;-)

Quite like BJ but not enough of a fan to know about the "bassplayer/your not our bass player" situation. Just done a bit of googling and read up about it. Fascinating.

Does he travel with the band ? or does he have to make his own way there ? Do they let him in the dressing room or does he sit outside with his buttie box and a flask of coffee ? :)

[quote name='Les' post='607493' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:46 AM']Quite like BJ but not enough of a fan to know about the "bassplayer/your not our bass player" situation. Just done a bit of googling and read up about it. Fascinating.

Does he travel with the band ? or does he have to make his own way there ? Do they let him in the dressing room or does he sit outside with his buttie box and a flask of coffee ? :rolleyes:[/quote]

I think they got him a travel card for his birthday and some meal vouchers :)

I'm just wondering if he Di's pre-EQ or if he gets mic'd up. Because I recently went to a gig at the o2 to see delirious play and the bass tone was amaaazing. I know the guy that does the in-ears and I know their sound techhie, so I talked to them and the sound techhie said that they'd recently installed new woofers into the o2 which apparently were 'very nice'.

I was a bit disappointed because he was using a different amp, but the sound i could hear was taken before his amp :)