Why become a member? ×

JJ Burnel + To Jazz Or Not To......?

spongebob

I've recently been re-discovering some early Stranglers material, and just love the 'classic' JJ tone circa up until, and including, 'Black And White'.

Thing is, I'm in the need for a back-up bass.

I've currently got a Ged Jazz (love it to bits) and and a Jag (superb bass but not for me).

Question is, do I go for another Ged to replace the Jag, and re-string with flats, etc, and have another option....I do love the feel, weight, and tone of the Ged.

Or do I try to go for a JJ-type sound? If so, how do I do it?

Can I re-create it with a MIM P? (Although they scare me a little...) I'm an ex-Ric man on a budget!

JJ used a stock Precision, a lot of his tone was in the amp and blown guitar cab he used. Probably best if you use some form of P and get the tone with a pedal (sansamp or similar) .... assuming you don't want to play through a blown cab!

PS, he uses Rotosound Swing bass stainless steel rounds now, 45-105 (not sure what he used back in the 70s/80s)

Edit (from Wikipedia): " In the early days Burnel's distinctive aggressive sound was created using a Fender Precision Bass with RotoSound roundwound strings played with a plectrum very close to the bridge, through Hiwatt all valve amplification"

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='603612' date='Sep 20 2009, 03:17 PM']JJ used a stock Precision, a lot of his tone was in the amp and blown guitar cab he used. Probably best if you use some form of P and get the tone with a pedal (sansamp or similar) .... assuming you don't want to play through a blown cab!

PS, he uses Rotosound Swing bass stainless steel rounds now, 45-105 (not sure what he used back in the 70s/80s)

Edit (from Wikipedia): " In the early days Burnel's distinctive aggressive sound was created using a Fender Precision Bass with RotoSound roundwound strings played with a plectrum very close to the bridge, through Hiwatt all valve amplification"[/quote]

I can get a similar tone on the Orange when i play right near the bridge with the same model of bass and strings...having a medium thickness plectrum helps a bit too to give it some bite. :)

[quote name='spongebob' post='603657' date='Sep 20 2009, 05:19 PM']I'm a bit worried abut the MIM Fenders.....

I play through a Markbass amp....with a pick, but...

after playing a Ged, the general action, bridge, and quality issues have concerned me about about the MIM Fenders![/quote]

I'd get a decent second hand Jap Fender (or Squier). The 80's versions are generally regarded as better quality than the US equivalent. I also think the majority of the sound is in the feel and the way you play it. (I use a valve combo by the way, I'm not some Digital fiend). Good taste BTW Spongebob - Isn't the intro to Hanging around one of the best sounds ever?

Burnel is quoted as saying that he tried loads of Precisions and that none of them came close - through Hiwatts or whatever - to the old dog that he used. Listen to [i]Rattus Norwegicus[/i]: the bass tone is not always the same, although the grunge is still there, so it can't all be blown cabs or the studio board/fx.

Edited by Stacker

the bass sound on the first 3 stranglers was a fluke, JJ could only get it with his green P bass, once he'd broke it in half punching it during a gig he couldn't get that wonderful tone again, perhaps it was a flaw in the wood of the bass that enabled it to sound like that