Why become a member? ×

Testing the Water - Vigier Passion III Custom 5 string

lukeward2004

Hi Guys,

Im seriously considering moving on my Vigier Passion Series III 5 string, as I tend to play warwicks so much more than anything else now. Ill only consider letting this go in a trade for a Warwick Streamer Stage 2 5 string, Im not particularly interested in anything else and I would find it hard to let this bass go for anything less as this is an incredible instrument! I may regret this.....

I believe this is a 1989 neck thru series 3 which Patrice Vigier doesnt make anymore to my knowledge (Ped will know all about this bass as it was his prior to my ownership!).

Its fitted with a set of Elixir Nanowebs that are fairly new, hardly played, and the action is very low - credit card thickness or just under at the 8th fret and there is no buzzing. Its a fast neck and aside from a few very minor cracks in the laquer, this bass looks impeccable for its age.

Specs:
Serial # - 086 - 23/04/1991
5 string Custom model - Maple/alder/Maple body

NECK
Neck through body, featuring the 10/90 Neck System™ (10% carbon with 90% naturally dried and aged maple wood).

FINGERBOARD
Phenowood

SCALE LENGTH
33.8 in / 860 mm

FRETS
21 + a zero fret (or as an option 24)

ACTION AS SUPPLIED AT
12th fret treble .0078 in / 2.0 mm
12th fret bass .0098 in / 2.5 mm

WIDTH OF NECK AT
nut 1.673 in / 42.5 mm
12th fret 2.441 in / 62 mm

DEPTH OF NECK AT
first fret .76 in / 19.5 mm
12th fret .945 in / 24.0 mm

STRING SPACING AT
nut 1.378 in / 35 mm
bridge 2.835 in / 72 mm •

MACHINE HEADS
by Schaller

BRIDGE
Kahler quick-release

BODY
Naturally dried and aged flamed maple, alder or walnut wood (natural walnut only)(1.57 in / 40 mm thick).

FINISH
Over 10 coats of varnish, 2 months drying time.

WEIGHT
Approx. 7.27 lbs./3.3Kg

ELECTRONIC CAVITY
Sprayed with a shielder.

ACTIVE CONTROLS
Volume
Pickup pan pot
Frequency pot
Cut/off/boost switch
Tone pot

PICKUPS
Twin single-coils by Bénédetti

Pics:

You can also hear it in action through my Bass Pod XT and Epifani UL310 here:

[url="http://www.thegrooveband.co.uk/#/audio-links/4534093165"]http://www.thegrooveband.co.uk/#/audio-links/4534093165[/url]

Cheers

Luke

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='603176' date='Sep 19 2009, 09:47 PM']Hi Mate!

I working in Wigan on tuesday, drop me a PM if you fancy meeting up for a beer monday night (travelling up overnight) - ask Mike too![/quote]

Pretty sure I can do - I'll PM you later.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Thanks for the good words guys!

Fretmeister - String Spacing wise, its actually fully adjustable to suit your taste (with obvious consideration to the neck profile etc), however I find that as it stands, its not too tight for a bit of slapping but also not so wide your fingers are stretching all over the place when you play fingerstyle.

I have got the custom specifications somewhere, just need to dig them out and Ill see if I can get them scanned in, you have a PM anyway!

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='603329' date='Sep 20 2009, 08:23 AM']Bit off topic- great sounding band.[/quote]

+1

love to play in a disco/funk band aswell as the one im in already. Cant seem to get one started though :)

Edited by FuNkShUi

A bit of info on the bass:

The bass is quite unique in how it is made. First of all the neck is 10% carbon and 90% maple. The carbon rods are 75% carbon so overall the neck is stronger than the graphite weave Vigier used to use. You also get the added benefits of the sounds from the maple. There is no truss rod so the neck is engineered with the 'textbook' amount of relief (A credit card thickness).

The pickups are two Benedetti single coils - extremely high output and very clear. The pre-amp is a rotary eq frequency selector and a cut/bypass/boost switch. There is a master volume and a tone control which affects only the bridge pickup. Those crazy French.

Serial # - 086 - 23/04/1991
5 string Custom model - Maple/alder/Maple body

NECK
Neck through body, featuring the 10/90 Neck System™ (10% carbon with 90% naturally dried and aged maple wood).

FINGERBOARD
Phenowood

SCALE LENGTH
33.8 in / 860 mm

FRETS
21 + a zero fret (or as an option 24)

ACTION AS SUPPLIED AT
12th fret treble .0078 in / 2.0 mm
12th fret bass .0098 in / 2.5 mm

WIDTH OF NECK AT
nut 1.673 in / 42.5 mm
12th fret 2.441 in / 62 mm

DEPTH OF NECK AT
first fret .76 in / 19.5 mm
12th fret .945 in / 24.0 mm

STRING SPACING AT
nut 1.378 in / 35 mm
bridge 2.835 in / 72 mm •

MACHINE HEADS
by Schaller

BRIDGE
Kahler quick-release

BODY
Naturally dried and aged flamed maple, alder or walnut wood (natural walnut only)(1.57 in / 40 mm thick).

FINISH
Over 10 coats of varnish, 2 months drying time.

WEIGHT
Approx. 7.27 lbs./3.3Kg

ELECTRONIC CAVITY
Sprayed with a shielder.

ACTIVE CONTROLS
Volume
Pickup pan pot
Frequency pot
Cut/off/boost switch
Tone pot

PICKUPS
Twin single-coils by Bénédetti

A lovely instrument but I prefer 4s and couldn't afford to keep this one. Buy with confidence, Luke is a lovely chap to deal with!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='FuNkShUi' post='604887' date='Sep 21 2009, 07:35 PM']+1

love to play in a disco/funk band aswell as the one im in already. Cant seem to get one started though :)[/quote]

Thanks for the comments - its nice to know we are doing something right, I run the band and I must say we are really struggling to get bookings at the moment. I guess the issue is how much we charge, half the band are professional musicians that wont go out for less than £150 a night, so it bumps our price up and thus folks cant afford to hire us. Equally the guys have to make a living - catch 22 situation!