Why become a member? ×

Zon Sonus custom fretless

chrkelly

Zon's take on the super j. It's a great bass but unfortunately the very slim neck is beginning to give me left hand problems (and I could do with some cash!).

It's in reasonably good condition, it's worn roundwounds it's whole life and has very little wear due to the composite fingerboard. There is a small crack at the heel of the neck on the g side that was there when I bought it but it's nothing to worry about. Lots of usuable sounds from the Zon custom Barts and Zon pre. Controls are master, pan, stacked treble and bass, mids with 3way frequency select. Harmonics ring out enough to make you think you're Michael Manring. Balances nicely and has great access across both octaves on the neck.

I'd like £800 firm (a new one will set you back $3500 in the US)

Here's the link to Tim's original for sale thread
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46466&hl=zon+sonus"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=zon+sonus[/url]

I'm in SE London and would prefer to meet up in person, however I do travel with work so could sort something out if convenient.

Edited by chrkelly

[quote name='NAS' post='618324' date='Oct 6 2009, 10:45 AM']I might be interested in this. Can you post a closeup picture of the crack in the neck? Would you be prepared to pack it up and ParcelForce it if I paid the delivery and insurance costs? Thanks, NS[/quote]

Sure, I'll sort some pics out tomorrow. I have an old hardcase somewhere that I can send it in, though I'd prefer to meet in person if possible.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris, many thanks for that. It's mysterious that crack, graphite necks are usually pretty solid and it's not in an obvious place for a crack caused by dropping. A drummer managed to knock over my Modulus Quantum 4 at an outdoor gig and took a chunk out of the headstock on the concrete stage floor, but it almost looks as though that one was caused by some sort of imperfection in manufacture. About the only person I know in the UK who could repair that properly would be Rob Green at Status Graphite. It's still a lovely bass but I recently overstretched myself in the amp department and would need to shift a couple of "excess" basses (the Overwater 5 string and the Status SmartBass) to raise the funds as £900 is a significant amount. Thanks for taking the trouble, but I'll have to leave it for the moment.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='622317' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:02 AM']Hey NS, apololgies for the delay, work's been crazy. Pics below as promised.[/quote]

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm going to take a load of better photos of it tonight, unfortunately I'd deleted the others when I withdrew it last time. They were rubbish anyway. Warwickhunt- that's interesting, I wonder if it's in the same place. I must stress though it's all completely stable and hasn't changed one bit since I bought it, it's seen a lot of playing since then too.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='933482' date='Aug 23 2010, 11:35 AM']Hi guys,

I'm going to take a load of better photos of it tonight, unfortunately I'd deleted the others when I withdrew it last time. They were rubbish anyway. Warwickhunt- that's interesting, I wonder if it's in the same place. I must stress though it's all completely stable and hasn't changed one bit since I bought it, it's seen a lot of playing since then too.[/quote]

I have a laquer crack in the neck pocket of my Zon too, and when I bought it 4 years ago(its a 2002 model), I was told that it had been there since new, and all Zons had them, or got them in time!

Bob

As the previous owner, I'm really not sure how the crack got there. I never noticed a crack, I didn't gig it (fretless and I don't mix on stage...) and it was never dropped, bumped or otherwise abused.

Nonetheless, free bump for one of the best fretlesses I've ever played. I miss this bass a lot actually. :)

[quote name='bobpalt' post='933518' date='Aug 23 2010, 12:12 PM']I have a laquer crack in the neck pocket of my Zon too, and when I bought it 4 years ago(its a 2002 model), I was told that it had been there since new, and all Zons had them, or got them in time!

Bob[/quote]

Maybe bolt on necks - I've had two set neck Zons and neither had anything like this. Could be about bolt tension or something.

Apologies for the delay guys, it's all a bit manic with work. Don't care though cause Guns n Roses are rehearsing in the next room! Looking forward to tomorrow :)

Anyway pics as promised, I'll get some better ones once I find the camera. Afraid it's only iphone for now.

Evoman, now you mention it, the crack does make sense if someone's overtightened the neck bolts at some point.