Why become a member? ×

Drummers That Overplay

Pete Academy

My drummers great. We play Blink 182 type pop punk, and he has a very Travis Barker thing going on, i.e. can come with beats that fit, but still sound interesting; fills that add to the music, rather then fill up needed space. He's a great drummer. Bit of a shame that we are splitting the band up really. I'll probably hit him up again after we've finished college/sixth form and see if he want's to get anything going again.

Zach

No-one has mentioned Mitch Mitchell - who single-handed has ruined just about every important recording of Hendrix ever made.

Just MHO of course but that is overplaying at it's worse. It's OK playing lots of notes but as long as there are dynamics and contrast and context.

I play drums and I'm not good enough to overplay yet. When I get there, make sure someone tells me off?

Peace
Davo

Our drummer tries to overplay sometimes adding double kicks, fills, knocking the cr*p out of the cymbals and genrally adding bits in wher there shouldn`t be bits added! The biggest problem is he`s no very good at it!. The photo below is me and the singer giving him dogs abuse for some of the above.

[attachment=32652:DSC00190.JPG]

But at the end of the day he`s a top bloke and if he wasn`t there, who could we give dogs abuse to.

As for Neil Peart, one word, God!

Jez

The drummer can make or break a band - I've worked with some pretty atrocious drummers over the years and some who are the exact opposite. My personal philosophy is that as a bass player, I'm really only as good as the drummer is, so when playing with a numpty drummer, my role has to change and I have to drive the music. I actually shout at them - `watch your speed' being one most often used quote and `SIMPLE!!!!!!'! It works, for a few bars!!

Seriously, the use of unnecessary fills and those blummen double-bass drum pedals are my scourge. However, in the right hands such technique is great! As has already been pointed out, overplaying by any musician is not good - when I was 16 I was very much guilty of this but as I've got older, I've got so much more understanding of what I need to do as a bassist and my aim is to serve the song! If that means excessive fretmelt wazzing and quadtruplet fills using slap and pull technique then fine!

Nick

the drummer in my last couple of bands (and current band) is my brother, and we also jam fairly regularly in the music room, just sort of funky improv stuff, he puts a beat down and i put a bass part to it. he's a brilliant drummer (grade 8 distinction) and he knows exactly what he's doing. hes more of a musician than me to be honest, he plays drums and piano as his main instruments, but he's learning sax and he's not a bad bassist or guitarist, and he's got a great singing voice. so i just leave it to him to do what he's doing, and i've not had a problem with him yet.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='595975' date='Sep 11 2009, 07:23 PM']...then lob the same pattern to that funny cymbal with the rivets for 'Variation'[/quote]

I knew there was something I hadn't seen in my bass playing reincarnation. So they still have that thing (in Oxon at least)

It's a problem eh !!
I'm in the midst of trying to put a soul band together(since february),and when i say soul band i don't mean the Commitments.The first guy would play something not too far of the Thomas Lang clip over Donny Hathaways take on "What's goin' On".When I asked him to play it simple the reply was "I'm the F'ing drummer and your F'ing bass player,you don't tell me what to do and i won't tell you what to do.Anyway,he was asked not to come back.
The next came twice and did'nt show again,no phone call or anything and he would'nt take my calls,hey ho !!
The third guy, He was'nt quite as bad as the first but never looked up at me or any of the band for that matter and it was like playing with a wet fish,no musical conversation at all and not much verbal either.I kept on asking him to keep it simple but after five minutes he'd be back to normal and more often than not too far behind the groove.As nice a bloke as he is I gave up on him last week and had to let him go.
We tried out another guy last week,he's 60 if he's a day and does'nt look like he'd have an ounce of Funk in his body,how wrong i was to prejudge.Whadd'ya know,spot on !! a result. Now if i can just get him to stay :)
For me and if your doing Soul/Groove type music it's got to be done with the right feel and in the right way otherwise there's no point doing it in the first place. :rolleyes:

Looking back over the last few months we'd have progressed faster with a drum machine rather than wasting time with the wrong guys hoping they'd get it.....eventually. Lesson learned !!

Edited by kennyrodg

I hate drummers whose idea of a clatter around the kit includes any parradiddles or equivalent cleaver drummy technique. Micky Waller had one of the best styles and thumped around the kit is a very simple and satisfying way.

I played with an overplaying drummer last night, the first for a long time, and it was the most uncomfortable gig.

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='596158' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:24 PM']Loved the Thomas Lang clip. Not so much for the drumming, but the way the cameraman appeared to be nodding off during the first minute and a half or so...[/quote]

ha a ha ha!!! Yea! Not sure who he was - found the video on YouTube after the event. - the post of mine was a bit of a humourous response to the OP. I wish I had a proper video to post - as our music dictates that the drums are very intense and 'all over the place'. However, the drums are all set parts and not random fills here and there. - so I guess that's a bit different!