Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass choice - your views

northstreet

After a good few hours annoying various sales assistants by trying every bass in the shop, I've decided to buy a Jazz. But I'm torn. I really like the look of the Geddy Lee, but the Highway One has the same Badass bridge and I can find it online at nearly £100 less, which to me is a lot of dosh.

To my ears (in the shop at least) they sound very similar. Anyone got any experiences of playing either, or any other views/opinions on their relative merits?

Some big differences - the Highway has a fragile nitro finish which will age fast (cool if you like em mojo'd/relic'd) whereas the Geddy has a tough polyurethane finish. The Highway is US-made, whereas teh Geddy is made in Japan (matters to some people). The Highway has a standard neck whereas the Geddy has very thin, shaved neck. Thats for starters. I'll let other join in :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='595098' date='Sep 10 2009, 08:49 PM']- the Highway has a fragile nitro finish which will age fast[/quote]

I have to admit that I haven't looked at a Highway for a while, but when I was searching for a new Jazz a couple of years ago I couldn't help noticing that several of the Highways, across different shops, had little "dents" in them. The fragile finish doesn't offer much protection. Maybe they've fixed it now?

JJ

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='595138' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:34 PM']I have to admit that I haven't looked at a Highway for a while, but when I was searching for a new Jazz a couple of years ago I couldn't help noticing that several of the Highways, across different shops, had little "dents" in them. The fragile finish doesn't offer much protection. Maybe they've fixed it now?

JJ[/quote]
Nitro was the original finish back in the 50s/60s and you can see from most elderly instruments how it weathers. The HW is harking back to this, so there's no "fixing" to be done. Click on the HW1 link in my sig and you will see how they can look (albeit this had a little help from the previous owner!)

[quote name='Clarky' post='595144' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:40 PM']Nitro was the original finish back in the 50s/60s and you can see from most elderly instruments how it weathers. The HW is harking back to this, so there's no "fixing" to be done. Click on the HW1 link in my sig and you will see how they can look (albeit this had a little help from the previous owner!)[/quote]

weren't the 50's and 60's finished with a good few coats of clear nitro?

[quote name='northstreet' post='595092' date='Sep 10 2009, 08:46 PM']After a good few hours annoying various sales assistants by trying every bass in the shop, I've decided to buy a Jazz. But I'm torn. I really like the look of the Geddy Lee, but the Highway One has the same Badass bridge and I can find it online at nearly £100 less, which to me is a lot of dosh.

To my ears (in the shop at least) they sound very similar. Anyone got any experiences of playing either, or any other views/opinions on their relative merits?[/quote]

are there differences in sound...i think whatever sounds like you need thats the one

i have had a non fender jazz with bartolini pups...its sound was what i needed

ps go for one which is easy to adjust the truss rod...ie headstock end...nostalgia is a bore

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='northstreet' post='595092' date='Sep 10 2009, 08:46 PM']After a good few hours annoying various sales assistants by trying every bass in the shop, I've decided to buy a Jazz. But I'm torn. I really like the look of the Geddy Lee, but the Highway One has the same Badass bridge and I can find it online at nearly £100 less, which to me is a lot of dosh.

To my ears (in the shop at least) they sound very similar. Anyone got any experiences of playing either, or any other views/opinions on their relative merits?[/quote]

The Geddy is ace, love it. I won't buy one as i've got a Marcus Miller so that does all of my 70's Jazz noise. Although the new Sunburst finish is tempting.

The highways are ok, good value, but they look crap after a while as the 'Nitro' finish is actually a thin coat of nitro over a poly coating. So they go shiny.

I think the Mexican 60's and 70's Jazz bass need a consideration, with aftermarket Duncans/Fralins etc i think they are fantastic value for money and often overlooked, they are also cheaper than both the Geddy and Highway.

As another point, don't you think the 'few hours' of annoyance (IE - The chance to actually TRY the bass you're after) might be worth the "nearly £100" difference? I'd rather spend an extra £100 knowing i had A - the chance to try the bass i was buying, and B - the name to a face, should i need any further assistance with my bass.

I wouldn't buy my next bass of a faceless web twat in an office.

The £100 is a lot of difference, i agree, but ask yourself how much the £100 will really matter after 10 years of enjoyment knowing you ended up choosing the right bass.

Edited by AndyTravis