Why become a member? ×

The problem with too many basses

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy!
As you can tell by my signature, I have a few basses. I have been playing headless
the most but have a few full sized ones also.

I have gigged with the Telecaster,and took it to a jam session no problem .

Now the quandry I'm in is that I'm now playing a couple of songs in drop d in the band.
Okay, I 've been using the 5 string of late. More often than not, I've always been playing the
Washburn or the hamburger bass(both headless of course) as I'm used to these for so long.

Trouble is, I do love the Schecter, but I wanna avoid the Les Dawson technique in a band situation .

Question is: Do I wait for another Steinberger/Washburn to appear(or even a 5 string Status)
and sell the lovely Schecter? Or do I just bring along 2 basses(one of course in BEAD)

Or do I stop being a cissy ,and get a really good quality adjustible strap and persevere with the 5 string.

One thing that I may have to watchout for is the different frequency of passive/active basses when playing live if I bring 2 basses.

Cheers guys :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='andrewrx7' post='595079' date='Sep 10 2009, 08:26 PM']If you do decide to sell, drop me a pm about the Schecter. I already have a Custom-5 and wouldn't mind another similar Stilleto style as a 2nd bass. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Will do. :)
If a trans-trem steiney came up ,or a 5 string headless(not hohner) I'd have to consider offloading this.

O ne thing I forgot to point out ,is that I do understand the 5 string(ie you can play stuff that's
usually at the end of the neck on a 4 string halfway up the neck on a 5)

Alot of stuff I'm fine on , it's just that certain songs have always been played on adg strings
and I keep having to look a the neck alot more to ensure I don't cross strings.

At home I'm fine with the Bigger Schecter , but as I haven't used a full bodied 5 string live I'm a bit nervous..

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='594969' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:17 PM']I wanna avoid the Les Dawson technique in a band situation .[/quote]

That is a great quote, very funny! I like the sound of your Tele bass. I can't help you too much (other than to say I find it best to pick the one that adapts the best and fit around the rest) but just wanted to comment on your funny quote! :)

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='594969' date='Sep 10 2009, 06:17 PM']Howdy!
As you can tell by my signature, I have a few basses. I have been playing headless
the most but have a few full sized ones also.

I have gigged with the Telecaster,and took it to a jam session no problem .

Now the quandry I'm in is that I'm now playing a couple of songs in drop d in the band.
Okay, I 've been using the 5 string of late. More often than not, I've always been playing the
Washburn or the hamburger bass(both headless of course) as I'm used to these for so long.

Trouble is, I do love the Schecter, but I wanna avoid the Les Dawson technique in a band situation .

Question is: Do I wait for another Steinberger/Washburn to appear(or even a 5 string Status)
and sell the lovely Schecter? Or do I just bring along 2 basses(one of course in BEAD)

Or do I stop being a cissy ,and get a really good quality adjustible strap and persevere with the 5 string.

One thing that I may have to watchout for is the different frequency of passive/active basses when playing live if I bring 2 basses.

Cheers guys :)[/quote]

go with the 5 string, once you've got your head round it (and your hands probably), you will never look back:)

I'd stick with the 5.
You don't need to radically change your playing or anything-just play the songs
like you do on your 4 and only use the low B occasionally.
I think it'd be easier than taking one out strung BEAD and then finding
out that you miss the G string.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='595143' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:40 PM']Thanks for the suggestion. :) I play headless most of the time. The 5 string means that I don't need a hipshot.
Unfortunately , the headless can't provide that facility.[/quote]

Ah right. I used to have a [url="http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/gear/1769491/p1_ue243c11q_so.jpg"]Hohner B2A that had a D-tuner on the bridge[/url], so the parts do exist, but I don't know if it's really practical (or desirable) to swap bridges on a headless bass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='595742' date='Sep 11 2009, 03:10 PM']Ah right. I used to have a [url="http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/gear/1769491/p1_ue243c11q_so.jpg"]Hohner B2A that had a D-tuner on the bridge[/url], so the parts do exist, but I don't know if it's really practical (or desirable) to swap bridges on a headless bass.[/quote]

Thanks again. If I could change the bridge , that could solve alot of problems and really pimp up the steiney. :)
There was an original Steiney on ebay that got away last week with a DB bridge.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='595280' date='Sep 11 2009, 12:29 AM']That is a great quote, very funny! I like the sound of your Tele bass. I can't help you too much (other than to say I find it best to pick the one that adapts the best and fit around the rest) but just wanted to comment on your funny quote! :)[/quote]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='596547' date='Sep 12 2009, 01:58 PM']Thanks again. If I could change the bridge , that could solve alot of problems and really pimp up the steiney. :)
There was an original Steiney on ebay that got away last week with a DB bridge.[/quote]

Oh that steinberger !! shhh ...the one with the drop tuner in red .. :rolleyes:

lol seeing yours made me do it !

Gary
v8