Why become a member? ×

Opinions on a Fender P5 USA Standard.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I am currently looking at a Fender American P5 with maple fingerboard bass.

Anyone have any personal experience with one? What sort of weight do they usually come out at? I have heard Ed friedlands youtube video and i am still not quite convinced about the Low B on the thing. I dont mind if its not particularly taught, as i prefer low tension.

I would like the traditional P tone in a 5 string. And the looks tick all the right boxes. However it is a brand new bass, and there is a Pedulla Rapture on ebay that could go quite cheap that i am interested in. Just a bit undecided!

Rob.

Mine is a black 1996 Standard V with a rosewood neck. It's roadworn but has the mojo.

I got it in June and I absolutely love it. I forgot about that Fender sound. For a passive plank, it punches well above its weight, to the point that it is now my main gigging bass.

I have pimped the scratchplate, control panel and knobs. I wouldn't mind changing the tuning knobs to lightweight elephant ear style hipshots at some point.

It doesn't seem heavy to me, but then I have a couple of sixers that weigh more. The B tension is fine and notes are clear, but not as good as the 35" Spector I sold recently, or on my 35" MPG.

My main criticsm is the through-body stringing, but fortunately, the Fender strings that fit are very good and not expensive.

I know what you mean about the P bass sound. I generally just use the neck pup only. Infact, I'm now going to be getting a five string P-bass next year. That way, I hope to keep to five strings and retain the fender sound but also keep it nice and simple.

[quote name='Clarky' post='593596' date='Sep 9 2009, 09:03 AM']Hi Rob, I would drop dave_bass5 a PM as he has a very pretty Oly white P5 and should be able to tell you what you need

Edited: had wrong BC member name! Corrected now[/quote]

Yeah, i have one and its a very nice bass.
Ive had it since last Nov and probably done around 30+ gigs with it. I've not weighed it but its lighter than my old Lakland Duck Dunn.
the neck is wonderful although him now realising its a bit cramped. It feels nice and i really did have to double check (twice) that it was a 5 string within the first few mins of playing it. The gloss finish on the back is very classy.

Im no Fender expert but to me (and from comments at gigs etc) its nails the P tone very well. I'm not sure if its vintage or not but this was the tone i heard in my head before i got it. I loved my Duck Dunn with its Fralin pup but compared to that the P5 is a more traditional sounding bass.
I dont have any problems with the low B.
In fact this is the first 5 string ive had where ive actually started playing that string further up the neck.
I have Elixirs on at the moment and the string to string volume is pretty good. Nice and punchy.

There are a few naff live video's on our website (Blowup, link below) that shows the P5 in action. At the time these were taken i had chromes on it but im not really a flats guy any more.

Any questions just ask away and if your in london any time (and i still have it) your welcome to have a play with it.

Edited by dave_bass5

Thank you very much for your opinions, it was enlightening!

However i decided to go for the knackered Pedulla MVP5 fretted to go with my other Pedulla fretless.

I loves em to bits :)

Dave if your coming to the SE bass bash i would love to try it out! May have some more money then!

Cheers. Rob.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='593945' date='Sep 9 2009, 03:40 PM']Thank you very much for your opinions, it was enlightening!

However i decided to go for the knackered Pedulla MVP5 fretted to go with my other Pedulla fretless.

I loves em to bits :)

Dave if your coming to the SE bass bash i would love to try it out! May have some more money then!

Cheers. Rob.[/quote]

Good luck with the Ped, i hear they make some nice basses :-).

Im not sure when the bash is but i doubt i'll be going as im gigging every weekend until Jan 2010.
Shame as ive made quite a few on line friends over the past year or so.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='593952' date='Sep 9 2009, 03:44 PM']Good luck with the Ped, i hear they make some nice basses :-).

Im not sure when the bash is but i doubt i'll be going as im gigging every weekend until Jan 2010.
Shame as ive made quite a few on line friends over the past year or so.[/quote]

Well it is during the morning/afternoon :) Plenty of time to get back your gig aye?

My fretless is the most well constructed bass i have ever played. I am so happy i aquired it.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='593962' date='Sep 9 2009, 03:58 PM']Well it is during the morning/afternoon :) Plenty of time to get back your gig aye?

My fretless is the most well constructed bass i have ever played. I am so happy i acquired it.[/quote]

Unfortunately i dont drive so im not really able to go to a gig from anywhere other than my drummers house.
The P5 might even belong to someone else by then as im going to sell it as soon as i sort out my DJ5.

Ive never even played a fretless and im getting jealous lol.

Give us a shout when you come to sell the P5, cheers. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='593966' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:02 PM']Unfortunately i dont drive so im not really able to go to a gig from anywhere other than my drummers house.
The P5 might even belong to someone else by then as im going to sell it as soon as i sort out my DJ5.

Ive never even played a fretless and im getting jealous lol.[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='594695' date='Sep 10 2009, 12:56 PM']Nowt wrong with that B[/quote]

That what i found as well.

Saying that i think it depends on the string used. I found using Chromes the B could be a bit too thick sounding, certainly higher up the neck.
Once i got back in to rounds (Elixirs) ive found the B string, around the middle of the neck to be very punchy and clear.

As a long-time player of 5 and 6-string basses I never found a Fender with a decent B until I tried a maple board USA P-5 standard. However it needed a pretty good working over to play right.

1. Dump the Fender strings - I don't know who makes them but they sounded crap on every Fender I've played.
2. Set the pickup right - make sure that the B and E have enough volume to match the naturally loud A and D strings.
3. Once you've chosen your strings, make sure they're not tapered - this bass loves non-tapered strings, and the natural P-bass sound seems to be preserved better.
4. Make sure the strings are properly bent at the tuner, the nut and the bridge. This seems to account for a lot of "duff" strings I have come across. They just need a nice sharp witness point.
5. Don't bother stringing through the body. It makes no difference to my ears and just invites premature string breaks
6. Give the strings room to breathe - if the action is mega low the B and E seem to lose their tone

A great bass nonetheless - tuners are very good, balance seems better and the HMV bridge works a treat! Shame you can only get it in Candy Cola and Black (I wanted the sunburst!)

[quote name='XB26354' post='595296' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:08 AM']As a long-time player of 5 and 6-string basses I never found a Fender with a decent B until I tried a maple board USA P-5 standard. However it needed a pretty good working over to play right.

1. Dump the Fender strings - I don't know who makes them but they sounded crap on every Fender I've played.
2. Set the pickup right - make sure that the B and E have enough volume to match the naturally loud A and D strings.
3. Once you've chosen your strings, make sure they're not tapered - this bass loves non-tapered strings, and the natural P-bass sound seems to be preserved better.
4. Make sure the strings are properly bent at the tuner, the nut and the bridge. This seems to account for a lot of "duff" strings I have come across. They just need a nice sharp witness point.
5. Don't bother stringing through the body. It makes no difference to my ears and just invites premature string breaks
6. Give the strings room to breathe - if the action is mega low the B and E seem to lose their tone

A great bass nonetheless - tuners are very good, balance seems better and the HMV bridge works a treat! Shame you can only get it in Candy Cola and Black (I wanted the sunburst!)[/quote]

[b]In reply... Some interesting preferences you have here :)

1. Yes, quite agreed here. Modern Fenders do sound rather good strung with DR's. Just my preference, though.
2. Quite correct. The split coil pickup should mirror the curvature of the board/string settings.
3. Never noticed this one, personally.
4. Does this really make a difference to the sound? To my mind, you only hear the string from the nut to the bridge, or am I wrong here?
5. Through-body stringing makes a massive difference. Increases sustain and bottom end loads.
6. Action should be just high enough not to cause fret buzz, not high enough to take the skin off your fingers.[/b]